Injured Chameleon: A case study.

CasqueAbove

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have a male veiled chameleon that is just over a year old. He had sustained significant injury to his gular crest (beard/throat area). The purpose of this is not so much what should I do ? But more about the chameleons ability to heal, as well as a rough idea of you might expect to see if your chameleon becomes injured.

So what happened. Godzilla (my male) has an open air enclosure making him technically free range. He has lived in his area happily and only ever tried to get down to reach a higher place. So now he has the highest best spot as I adjusted to where he wanted to be. Well with spring came the urge to wander. He became far more bold and exploratory seeking, well you know. I also have a macaw that I have had since I was 17, 30+ years. One day his escaped wanderings led him to her cage, and he was bit. Again this is not about that part of it.

Date of injury: February 10, 2020.

The initial injury was pretty severe. (see pic.1 & 2) What you are seeing is his tongue sticking out. At first it was unclear if this was by choice, or lack of control. The choice part was because I could theorize that keeping his tongue in put pressure on the wound causing pain. Further I had coaxed it back in, and it would be there foe a while, he did not appear to have complete paralysis of the tongue.

pic_1.JPG pic_2.JPG

Daily Care:

I was lucky in this area. I have a weed sprayer hoked up so it “rains” I can pump it up and it runs for a bit. Most likely just because it felt good, but he would sit under this all throughout the day. Actually opening his mouth and letting the water run through his wounds. I was going through 2 gallons a day with this(pic 3). This kept his wounds clean and all I really did was watch, and pump the sprayer.

pic_3.JPG

First Issue: Feb 10 – Feb 18

This occurred over the course of the ensuing week. The tongue had proven to be a problem. With it sticking out, combined with the stickiness of their saliva, it was drying to the edge of his mouth. The first occurrence it seemed as though it was more like a scab (pic 4). I gently worked it off, and cleaned dead tissue. At this point it looked OK. Then it started again and this time I realized it was causing harm (pic 5) I then made sure it stayed in his mouth. Within 4-5 days after his mouth appears completely normal.

pic_4.JPG pic_5.JPG

Time to Force Feed: Feb 24.
It had been two weeks without food. I did not want to aggravate the injury, but I had to do something or he would starve. So using a recipe for bug juice, I found on this forum, and an insulin syringe I began feeding 1 ml (2 syringes full) every third day. I am trying too balance nutrients with trauma.

Current:
His tongue looks fine, but he does not use it. The likelihood of injury to the hyoid bone is high do to the type of injury. He has gained a little weight back, and has perked up slightly. When I handle him for feedings his grip is weaker, but this would be expected. Over all his wounds are healing well, I hope he will take back to normal eating, but I am prepared. I offer a hand fed item, followed by 2 small feeders in his dish. If they are not taken I give the syringe. It is a 3 day process.

I am curious on opinions as to how much I should be feeding with the syringe. He will usually take one syringe but may clamp up hard on the second. I do not want to do more damage forcing that hard, so I let it go.
Current state (pic 6)

pic_6.JPG

Update on Condition:

He has been on the same feeding regiment , 1ml bug juice every three days. I have added calcium without D3 and pollen to the recipe.

He was weighed on 3/13/20 and was 120g 37-40cm . As this is a good weight for him. I will continue tracking weight to maintain.

His strength has improved noticeably, and he is more difficult to feed.

He still has not feed on his own. I have seen movement in the gular crest area, suggesting that he may regain use of his tongue.

His enclosure has been upgraded with new plants and branches. The difference in behavior was immediate. Where he had been just staying in one spot for the most part, before I was finished He found his way over to the enclosure and began exploring.

His current humidity situation is next. It is fine during the day, but needs fog and mist at night.

Enclosure before:
IMG_0139.jpg

After:
IMG_0265.jpg

Current state:
IMG_0267.jpg IMG_0268.jpg

Over all health seems good. poops are small but normal in appearance.

Wow, talk about an improvement! Great job, man. Keep up the good work and I hope he regains use of his tongue and the ability to hunt.

Just a note getting him on anti-inflammatories as quickly as possible after the initial trauma can shorten healing time by reducing the swelling and excessive inflammation from a crushing injury.
I would use his weight as a tool to judge his feeding amounts. If his body condition is good maintain that weight. So if you can just barely see the structures of his tail but they are not prominent, his eyes are not sunken, and his casque is flat not sunken then adjust your feedings accordingly. Weigh his daily until you can set the appropriate amount.
I'm on my third month of force feeding a little female of mine. She just started eating on her own yesterday. I know how difficult it can be.

Well I finally got a good look in his mouth, and as I feared no tongue. :(
I was afraid of this because, because I had read stories of chams with tongue problems losing them, theory being that the tongue gets swallowed and digested ?

So now I need to teach him to eat. I can use the syringe, but I feel this would be very traumatic over time. Though there may be no choice.

My current recipe is made by the use. 3 parts dubia 1in. Once I use the syringe only the innards are used. Just enough ensure/pedalite 50/50 mix, to be able to suck it up in the syringe. To the mix I am adding small/dusting pinch of bee pollen, vitamins, as appropriate D3 ect.

For the first time I tried to get him to open his mouth by pulling on his beard. I need practice. but he still has scars so I don't want to pull too hard. I can get him to open his mouth at the corner, but I can see swelling from this, so it needs to change.

So does any one have experience with them eating without a tongue?

Second: I don't think his mouth looks unhealthy, but not healthy either. I would say I see infection? but being handled by the body? Not sure how to put it. Further as times are a bit more difficult, and I haven't found good reptile vet in my area in good times. I must assume I will not be able to get him to a vet for a while.
He is in good health in all other aspects that can be observed.

Here are the pics, I am very hesitant to use any form of antibiotics or medication as many herps don't take well to these. I would like to flush it with water, but do not want to fill his belly with water.

As long as it seems to be healing I will leave it. I will be keeping closer eye on this. This was treatment day, normally not so invasive.
IMG_0310.jpg IMG_0289.jpg IMG_0285.jpg

I can't see inside the mouth well enough to know if there's a problem or not. I was reasonably sure that he would lose the tongue from the color of it in your earlier photos. Does he adjust his fulmar pouch at all like he's thinking about shooting out his tongue?

It's not usually hard to train them to eat like other types of lizards do...without the tongue. Just start by using softer bugs (like silkworms, flies, maybe the odd waxwork, etc) since his mouth might still be sore. Hold the insect so he can see it then move it slowly towards his mouth and touch it on his lips. Hopefully he will want it enough to open his mouth and eat it. Make sure the insect ends up between his teeth so it definitely gets bitten. Gradually hold the insect away from him far enough that he can see it and see if he walks towards it. It takes time...but they all seem to figure it out.
Good luck.

I can't see inside the mouth well enough to know if there's a problem or not. I was reasonably sure that he would lose the tongue from the color of it in your earlier photos. Does he adjust his fulmar pouch at all like he's thinking about shooting out his tongue?

It's not usually hard to train them to eat like other types of lizards do...without the tongue. Just start by using softer bugs (like silkworms, flies, maybe the odd waxwork, etc) since his mouth might still be sore. Hold the insect so he can see it then move it slowly towards his mouth and touch it on his lips. Hopefully he will want it enough to open his mouth and eat it. Make sure the insect ends up between his teeth so it definitely gets bitten. Gradually hold the insect away from him far enough that he can see it and see if he walks towards it. It takes time...but they all seem to figure it out.
Good luck.

Yea these were the best pics I could get. Where his hyoide is just isn't pink. I think you are right about being sore, his eyes seem to notice pray, but he does not follow. But if his mouth is sore this makes sense.

Do you think I should stay with bug juice till his mouth is pink?

My friend was able to feed his blind chameleon by getting him drinking and sticking a bug head first in his mouth and feeding 2-3 as he chews after that.
I have been feeding a roasted powdered cricket product mixed with a dash of calcium as a liquid diet. My chameleon is finally eating on her own.

My Veileds will blindly taste items that I touch the tip of their mouth. I do this to have them taste different fruits/veggies (neither care for fruit but I was curious). They couldnt really see what I was giving them but sort of instinctively took a bite.

That was a pretty traumatic injury - but with the size and power of a macaw’s beak... I’m surprised it wasn’t worse. My sister has an African Grey who is a complete brat and nipped more than one cat tail in his time.

I also have a cham with lessened tongue range. Not injury related - kind of a mystery... but he has adapted and learned to adjust to eat. I feed him far more silkworms and hornworms than I do the other chams, as those are among the only feeders he can easily catch. Other bugs go in a cup and I assist him. I would highly suggest some silkworms so you can place them on a branch for him to start to learn his abilities.

Softer bugs might help with healing by preventing the interior wounds from reopenong due to crunchy or writhing bugs.

Also check out indoor pet perimeters on amazon. I got a kit that I was able to use for 2 free ranges, in order to create a barrier to keep the chams from wandering. They are easily setup/taken down. They could be scaled still by a very adventurous cham.

Also check out indoor pet perimeters on amazon. I got a kit that I was able to use for 2 free ranges, in order to create a barrier to keep the chams from wandering. They are easily setup/taken down. They could be scaled still by a very adventurous cham.
I saw those, I like them.
My male really needs a cage, his room is not Cham safe, as we have seen.
My female is in the master bathroom, so it is made Cham proof.
My office has my Macaw, she has a cage, but it’s never closed.
A dog, and other hazards.
I still like those barriers, I was looking for exactly that.

Does he adjust his gular pouch at all like he's thinking about shooting out his tongue?
No his gular pouch doesn’t move, but I see movement further back, like he trying to move his tongue. But not in response to food.
I do still offer before I force feed.
I am going to get some softer pray, now I am using 1/4 in fresh molted dubia.

The softness of the food I was just thinking wouldn't hurt his mouth so much while it's healing.

The reason I asked about the movement (like he's trying to move his tongue) is because I know that if the tongue wasn't "amputated" at the very end of the hyoid bone, it can make the chameleon uncomfortable and for some reason it makes it difficult for them to chew/eat. Just wanted to make you aware of it...because if he can't get over that he may not eat solid food. Just keep an eye on it.

The softness of the food I was just thinking wouldn't hurt his mouth so much while it's healing.

The reason I asked about the movement (like he's trying to move his tongue) is because I know that if the tongue wasn't "amputated" at the very end of the hyoid bone, it can make the chameleon uncomfortable and for some reason it makes it difficult for them to chew/eat. Just wanted to make you aware of it...because if he can't get over that he may not eat solid food. Just keep an eye on it.

Great info. I thank you. I will be looking for a vet in this area (Portland Or) just in case.
What you describe makes perfect sense. This is how he seemed to act early on, after the inflamed tongue pick. He would hold his head back, and move a bit, or go to water. Like he had something caught in his through. This would be after I fed him, even though it is liquid.
It has been less, fingers crossed. There does seem to be a bit past the hyoid so that is my concern. If I look hard enough I will find a proper vet that can trim/amputate properly.

If the bit past the end of the hyoid bone is a lump/bump rather than a piece that flaps around it may just take time to get used to it...but if it's a flappy bit it seems like they think it's something that has to be gotten rid of and they keep trying to push it out if you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom