Injured Chameleon: A case study.

I’ve no idea if anatomically correct for chameleons, but I would imagine the tongue is used in swallowing. Possible without it but it probably is more difficult - especially if painful.

I'm sure it is more difficult to swallow without the tongue and painful until it al heals...but if there's a flappy bit there it drives the crazy trying to get it gone.

Good update.
He has been making attempts to take feeders from my hand. I am using dubia, but I pinch the head, I know morbid, but they still live, kinda wiggle but don struggle much. Hey it works.
Well he finally figured out how to reach with his whole mouth. Once in his mouth it took him a bit to figure out what to do next, but through use of rubbing on branches, he was able to eat one.

In regards tho the tongues use in swallowing. From what I understand, and have observed, is that the tongue is not used for swallowing per-say, but is used in positioning to swallow. That is why he had to learn to use branches, and other means to position his food to the point it can be swallowed. This is just my thoughts.

In regards to being painful. When he was holding the half dead dubia, trying to figure what to do next, he a couple of times was twitching hi head. I am sure he was bothered by the wiggling legs.
IMHO if he was feeling pain, he would drop it. So I take this as a good sign.
Waxworms, BSFL on the way , any other good soft easy to eat suggestions .

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 118
You're thoughts are right IMHO...the tongue positions the food.
Good to hear head making progress!
Keep on up dating us and keep on doing what you're doing with him. I'm amazed how well he's doing.

So I felt it was time for an update.
He is still learning to eat on his own. He tries all the time, so his appetite is good, he just hasn't figured out gravity yet lol. Like when you open your mouth pointing down, things fall out.

I have taken to hand feeding roaches that are dusted. I still have to hold him and get him to open his mouth, but if I place it cricket far enough back he is able to swallow. I smash the roach like it is chewed, and dead or mostly dead. He seems content after he eats and goes right to normal.

My on concern is weight. He was gaining, but with the switch to roaches, I do not know if it is that he is more active, which he is, or if I am not feeding enough, but he is down to 112g The problem is that it is hard to safely force feed more that 2 every other day. I do not want to over stress.

I will be looking into a once a week supplemental feeding with repti boost.

All else he is doing very well. He as just had his first shed since the injury, and all went well. The black scabs on his guller crest came off without issue leaving gray scars. The funny thing is he seems to be left with a piercing. There is a small healed over hole. If he is drinking sometimes you see bubbles coming out. Doesn't seem to bother him

IMG_0487.jpg IMG_0488.jpg

Does he act normally, like any other chameleon...moving around the cage and such?

Yes as he has been feeling better and is very active. To the point of frustration. Because of things how they are, I have not been able to secure him. He is already exploring again, even on the same cage he got hurt on. On the flip side I am home all day so I can watch. If I was not monitoring weight There would be no visible signs. It was stabilizing at around 118 to 120, it was the switch to roaches that started the drop.
So the interesting point on this is that, by weight he is getting more food. With the bug juice it was less volume, but apparently just the good stuff.
That is why I think I will start a once a week supplement for a bit.

His shed went well I was concerned about this.

He is getting better at eating on his own, and does occasionally manage to get it. I am sure it will improve.

Bonus update! The last two days he has learned to take the insect from my hand, or tongs. This allows him to position it for swallowing. This is going to make both our lives easier and less stressful.

Back
Top Bottom