Camo has Coccidia...and I will be changing exotic vets!

Blmelton

Established Member
So when I couldn’t get Camo to eat any more than 3 crickets and 4 or 5 superworms in the past 2 weeks I knew something was wrong. Turns out it’s coccidia. o_OI’m glad I know what’s wrong and she is being treated, but DANG! I JUST FINISHED ALL THAT WORK ON HER ENCLOSURE! I’m guessing a total breakdown and disinfecting is in order including plants. Do I need to throw them away or can I somehow sanatize them? Also, we went to our local exotic vet. It was our first trip. The vet told me roaches were bad and had too much chitin (spelling?) for chameleons. She suggested I use a red light day & night (this was before she did the fecal) She told me I should normally be feeding her twice a day (she’s 7 months old) and noumerous other things that I know are wrong even as a new keeper. Hopefully the vet was competent enough to read the fecal correctly. Any suggestions appreciated! Feeling defeated! I want to cry!

My plan is to use dilute bleach to sanitize her old cage even though it’s too small, I can do that tonight and get her in there and take my time to make sure I get her big one done right!

My plan is to use dilute bleach to sanitize her old cage even though it’s too small, I can do that tonight and get her in there and take my time to make sure I get her big one done right!
No. Please no. Wait for someone with good advice. Bleach can cause a lot of problems. Cant go wrong with dawn soap for most critters. Id imagine the chams to be super sensitive to the fumes and caustic nature of bleach. Simple Green is used in wildlife rescue centers because it wont harm the critters. Try that before bleach and maybe an experienced keeper will chime in.

Ok, I’ll put that on n hold. That was just what the vet told me so I’m not surprised with her giving me more incorrect advice!

Did the vet give you any antibiotics to give your cham? Definitely you should go to a different exotic vet for another fecal just to be sure...

Did the vet give you any antibiotics to give your cham? Definitely you should go to a different exotic vet for another fecal just to be sure...
Yes, Bactrim. I plan on it but her poops are few and far between since she hasn’t been eating.

Awwww that sucks. How do they get this? Was this the first fecal done? This link may be helpful for giving the meds. http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html
Yes, this was her first fecal so no telling how long. She said it was “a lot” whatever that means. I think it’s in dirt but have just found out this evening so I haven’t had time to do much research. I’ve read a little on here but didn’t pay too close attention since it wasn’t something on my radar at the time. Guess it’s time to learn some more new stuff!

Yes, this was her first fecal so no telling how long. She said it was “a lot” whatever that means. I think it’s in dirt but have just found out this evening so I haven’t had time to do much research. I’ve read a little on here but didn’t pay too close attention since it wasn’t something on my radar at the time. Guess it’s time to learn some more new stuff!
Well post what all you find out. I had a fecal done on Beman back in December. I get over concerned I think but he has not been eating as much. I don't know if it is just because he is so picky now or if it is his age or if I should get another fecal just to be safe. I really feel for you. Hopefully that link helps. I liked the part about injecting the bugs with the meds so you don't have to try to force feed it to them. Seemed a little easier. But I have not had to do any medication yet so the idea in general stresses me out. lol

It's usually from crickets is my understanding
Oh really! I hope that is not why mine has slowed his eating... The vet said I would only have to do fecals 1 time a year. He had his in December and it was clean. But he is not wanting to eat more then about 6 feeders every other day now. He will only eat the BSFL, silkworms, hornworms, and super worms. Do you think the cut back in appetite is normal for a 8 month old male Veiled?

Oh really! I hope that is not why mine has slowed his eating... The vet said I would only have to do fecals 1 time a year. He had his in December and it was clean. But he is not wanting to eat more then about 6 feeders every other day now. He will only eat the BSFL, silkworms, hornworms, and super worms. Do you think the cut back in appetite is normal for a 8 month old male Veiled?

I haven't kept a veiled yet, but I would think that's normal. All of my chams slowed down around that time. Now i only feed my Panthers about twice a week and they do just fine with that.

Well post what all you find out. I had a fecal done on Beman back in December. I get over concerned I think but he has not been eating as much. I don't know if it is just because he is so picky now or if it is his age or if I should get another fecal just to be safe. I really feel for you. Hopefully that link helps. I liked the part about injecting the bugs with the meds so you don't have to try to force feed it to them. Seemed a little easier. But I have not had to do any medication yet so the idea in general stresses me out. lol
That would be ideal except she isn’t eating yet. Maybe I can try once she feels better, but is still on meds. Thank you so much!

Some places say bleach works some say it doesn’t. Soap is a good start because nothing works in the presence of organic matter. So clean then disinfect. 1:10 bleach or 40 volume peroxide or industrial concentrated ammonia not all at the same time do not mix them ever.

I'm sorry to hear about your coccidia troubles! I talked to my tech, and she literally said "that's just a real hassle". I'd recommend throwing out anything porous that you can't easily clean (including plants, probably :( ), and like JackJill said (you beat me to it!) you'll want to scrub everything thoroughly with soap, rinse it with scalding/boiling water, and then apply 10% hydrogen peroxide. The contact time is a minimum of 10 minutes, during which all surfacesshould remain wet. Rinse well again with hot water, and possibly repeat the cleaning process. Coccidia is very resistant to disinfectants, and can be a real nightmare!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!
I'm sorry to hear about your coccidia troubles! I talked to my tech, and she literally said "that's just a real hassle". I'd recommend throwing out anything porous that you can't easily clean (including plants, probably :( ), and like JackJill said (you beat me to it!) you'll want to scrub everything thoroughly with soap, rinse it with scalding/boiling water, and then apply 10% hydrogen peroxide. The contact time is a minimum of 10 minutes, during which all surfacesshould remain wet. Rinse well again with hot water, and possibly repeat the cleaning process. Coccidia is very resistant to disinfectants, and can be a real nightmare!
Thanks! I really appreciate the help & great tips!

Back
Top Bottom