CA power outage :(

I’m in California as well we weren’t affected by it but there was reports of people shooting at pg&e vehicles from chp but for something like this that ever happens a power inverter works wonders it plugs into your cigarette lighter and runs a extension from your car to what ever you need powered mine is 400w but you can go bigger if needed it’s a good thing to have for only 30$
I read up on the issue... this likely wont be a one time deal. I’d start looking for a generator. Solar is more expensive and runs less... requires a solar panel or two to recharge and sunshine. Gas generators are powerful but need to have gas on hand at all times for it to work. Gas generators are loud and must be OUTSIDE (carbon exhaust), solar can stay inside.

I love my solar one. I can charge it in my car id needed, but its not powerful enough to run the big stuff (kitchen fridge). The gas one is for that.
Glad your power is back on. It maybe time to start thinking about getting supplies for the next time they shut it off.

So I am definitely looking into my options for a solar one. I would not be able to plug anything into my car because we have way to many homeless people here. They break into the cars when there is anything that is valuable to them. Since my car has to be parked on the street it leaves that option out.

Now I just need to figure out what would be strong enough to run a quad fixture and a basking fixture. Then hope should this happen again that it is not when we are fogged in or getting our winter rain...

YESSS So happy for you!
Thank you hun! I was beyond freaking out last night. I had looked at ordering something online but everything said delivery for next Wednesday-Friday. So yeah when it turned on I did a happy dance :hilarious: It even looks like all my timers held their programing for the 24 hour period. I am going to run through everything today and make sure it is all kicking on when it is supposed to.

So I am definitely looking into my options for a solar one. I would not be able to plug anything into my car because we have way to many homeless people here. They break into the cars when there is anything that is valuable to them. Since my car has to be parked on the street it leaves that option out.

Now I just need to figure out what would be strong enough to run a quad fixture and a basking fixture. Then hope should this happen again that it is not when we are fogged in or getting our winter rain...

I hear ya - same problem with car break ins / homeless. In my car it has to be running - not a good long term solution but if you had a day with no sun you could charge it a little when driving at least. The most important thing that people overlook is that it has to be ready, all the time. So make shre you keep it charged when not in use, or keep clean fuel available if you go the gas route.

Look into the Mr. Buddy portable heater. Small propane heater for tents. I have used this as my primary heat source for several years. It works and is designed for use in tents. I have used it in an old house i lived in that had no heat. Get a CO2 monitor as a precaution and leave a window cracked for extra ventilation. It kicks butt and warms it too. They are about $90 and run on propane camp fuel. There is a cheap inline filter you can put on to help filter the fuel before combustion. It helps remove impurities that dont burn clean. Always use common sense when place it in your home. Anyway just an idea. Good luck, I know how cold it gets up there.

I hear ya - same problem with car break ins / homeless. In my car it has to be running - not a good long term solution but if you had a day with no sun you could charge it a little when driving at least. The most important thing that people overlook is that it has to be ready, all the time. So make shre you keep it charged when not in use, or keep clean fuel available if you go the gas route.
See this is the biggest concern here.. We are now going into winter. Winter is well cold, foggy, and rainy. We can have days where we don't see the sun. If I was in AZ still it would be easy since solar is so easy there. But the weather here is crap. October is one of our clearest months but like last night it gets cold. I am very much a girl when it comes to all this stuff too. Not enough knowledge of the workings of it all :hilarious:

Look into the Mr. Buddy portable heater. Small propane heater for tents. I have used this as my primary heat source for several years. It works and is designed for use in tents. I have used it in an old house i lived in that had no heat. Get a CO2 monitor as a precaution and leave a window cracked for extra ventilation. It kicks butt and warms it too. They are about $90 and run on propane camp fuel. There is a cheap inline filter you can put on to help filter the fuel before combustion. It helps remove impurities that dont burn clean. Always use common sense when place it in your home. Anyway just an idea. Good luck, I know how cold it gets up there.
Thank you! I will. It was 39 degrees at 8:15 when I took my daughter to school. So heat is rather important here. We are having someone come look at our gas stove heater... Apparently some models have an option to run them without being connected to the thermostat. Although we could not find any option for this when we tried looking. The gentleman is going to come see if ours has the option and is going to show us how to use it. :)

If its emergency equipment its got to preform on demand every time. Anything other than gasoline, natural gas, or propane is a mistake. Modern gasoline generators are very fuel efficient and are easily converted to run on natural gas. Id recommend investing in a natural gas conversion because you can tie them directly into your homes feed line, then it will run indefinitely, no refueling. But being in Cali, im sure that's the next thing they will start shutting down for every afternoon thunders storm pretty soon...

Back
Top Bottom