Buying a Chameleon for the first time!

Padres1234

So I was reading a guide that said Chameleon's would be an alright choice for a first timer and shouldn't be too hard.

I have cared for freshwater fish, a cornsnake and mice before. But never a lizard of any sorts. I can afford the enclosure, and have no problem learning everything to take proper care.

Is this a wise idea or should I look at different lizards?

If you have the time and patience chameleons are a great lizard two have they are very time consuming and you should read as much as possible before you take that step. Butt the way I look at things we do things because they are hard not because they are easy

If you have the time and patience chameleons are a great lizard two have they are very time consuming and you should read as much as possible before you take that step. Butt the way I look at things we do things because they are hard not because they are easy

I wanted a slightly bigger lizard but not a large one. I was looking at Chameleons, Chinese water dragons and bearded dragons.

Startup cost would be around $200 or so from what I have gathered?

It wil be more then $200 for supplys. More like $500. Chameleons require a lot of patience, care and time. They are not good for beginers because of that. Bearded dragons are easy

It wil be more then $200 for supplys. More like $500. Chameleons require a lot of patience, care and time. They are not good for beginers because of that. Bearded dragons are easy

Bearded dragons have a cheaper startup? Why is it so much cheaper for them and what makes them so much easier?

Also, do you know much about Chinese Water Dragons in comparison to Chameleons or Bearded Dragons?

Panther chameleon is my first reptile . I researched it for a few months before I pulled the trigger. My whole setup was pretty expensive, along with all of the supplements, feeders on a monthly basis, etc. and you have to worry about someone feeding it looking after them when you go on vacation. My husband and I haven't gone on vacation together since March. We are taking a 3 day weekend trip in a couple of weeks because everything's on a timer and he will be 11 months old and I feel comfortable enough that he will be ok. When I got him he was four months old and it stressed me out even with all of the information I gained from reading here and everywhere else. Thank goodness the breeder I got him from was understanding and patient will all of my questions I had for him. If you have the time and patience for a chameleon I would say go for it. This place is great for answers to questions.

Panthers are a little bit more pricey. Bearded dragons I probably your best bet if you don't want to spend that much money. Chameleons take a lot of time and effort. Water dragon.ones I have had been temperamental just watch nose rubbing if you ever buy one of them depends on your preference. Good luck have any more questions will gladly help

Amazing animals, amazingly time consuming, I have a pair and am.very fortunate that I can either board them out if I need more than 3 days away or have a good friend who will pop in and feed them, remember your chosen "feeder" needs to be happy to handle bugs so expecting the next door neighbour or aunt fanny to pop in while your away might not work out so well

Chinese water dragons are easy but need a very large enclosure compared to most reptiles. This because they are very active and jumpy and because they need a good size aquatic area with an heavy filter on it.
150cm x 100cm x150cm would make an ok size for a pair, but bigger is better.
If you house em to small they will jump the glass all the time and damage their jaws, if the water isn't clean they will get infections.

200$ isn't alot if you want a medium sized reptile with enclosure and all... You should probably look for a 2nd hand package deal.
I'd look for a bearded dragon since they are the dogs of the reptiles and will probably give you the most interaction.

Bearded dragons have a cheaper startup? Why is it so much cheaper for them and what makes them so much easier?

Also, do you know much about Chinese Water Dragons in comparison to Chameleons or Bearded Dragons?

I have both a chameleon and a bearded dragon. I have had 2 Chams pass in the time I have had my beardie. The first one from a bad breeder(all of the Chams from that clutch died) and the other had an eye infection that went septic. Beardie a are easier because they are heartier. They are much easier to keep healthy. Chams need to have humidity just right and temps just right. Beardie a need the right temps too but it's not as difficult to get it right.

Chams need to be misted several times a day. It's vital for hydration and cleaning out their eyes. Beardies you soak once a week and they get their moisture from that and from their feeders and their veggies. You can get away with a hand sprayer for a Cham but let's be real, are you really going to be around 3-4 times a day every day to mist? It's not that easy. Investing in a misting system was the smartest thing I did and it took me way too long to realize it. Mine cost $125 for a mist King.

Chams enclosures need to have a lot more stuff. Plenty of vines and branches of varying sizes. Plants for foliage to hide in. working out a good drainage system is a good idea too. With a beardie its basically a good high spot for basking and that's about it. You can spend a lot to make it awesome as I've seen some pretty amazing enclosures but making it pretty is not a necessity like it is for a cham(being pretty isn't the necessity but the amount of stuff is and it makes it pretty).

Basically, both need UVB lights, both need a basking spot, both need supliments and feeders. But yes, Chams will cost more. They have different needs and are totally different in handling. My beardie is my buddy and hangs out with me all the time. My Cham hates my guts. I've had ones that tolerate me but they don't hang out with you like beardies do.
I don't think a Cham is necessarily too hard for a first reptile as long as you do your homework, are ready to spend the money and are willing to keep learning and do what is necessary for the health of your Cham. But DO NOT listen to a pet store. A majority of the time they do not know what they are talking about. Every once and a while they will have someone that is knowledgeable but it's rare.

I would suggest going over to beardeddragon.org and studying up on them too.

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom