Burn :-(

So I got Link (10-12 months old supposedly) on Halloween of this year. He is such a sweet boy but I do have some concerns.

So when I picked him up he had a patch on his back, I have never dealt with burns before but I did have suspicions when the guy said the patch showed up after his last shed and would go away with the next.

Since then the black hard part has started to peel and there is pinkish skin under. It isn't weepy or anything but I was still concerned so I took him into my mom and pop pet store where there is a guy that breeds panthers and is very good with info. Of course the other lady was working that day and she verified that it is a burn and said to put polysporin on it. Sounds like ok advice, but then she tried to tell me that Link was a girl and not a boy because he doesn't have spurs on his back feet and she also thought the was a Jackson chameleon....so after that I of course had my doubts about how solid her burn advice was.

Of course Link is defiantly a boy and a panther lol. So I have added a few pics of what his back looks like. So is the polysporin on it a good idea?

Also he is extremely clumsy. He has like no grip, we had to moss the bottom of his terrarium (I know substrate is a no no) because he falls and I don't want him to hurt himself since he is in a glass terrarium. I don't know if the guy that had him wasn't doing calcium right (he has no visual signs) but he now gets calcium properly. The pet store lady told me to have him crawl between my husband and I so he uses his feet and strengthens them.

But now I don't know what to believe from her lol. HELP lol

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• Link3.jpg
    Link3.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Link1.jpg
    Link1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 221
I don't think polysporin would hurt, but you really need to get him to a vet. That looks pretty bad, and if its affecting other parts of him (like his grip) that could be a warning sign that it is pretty serious.

So when I picked him up he had a patch on his back, I have never dealt with burns before but I did have suspicions when the guy said the patch showed up after his last shed and would go away with the next.

Since then the black hard part has started to peel and there is pinkish skin under.

Also he is extremely clumsy. He has like no grip, we had to moss the bottom of his terrarium (I know substrate is a no no) because he falls and I don't want him to hurt himself since he is in a glass terrarium. I don't know if the guy that had him wasn't doing calcium right (he has no visual signs) but he now gets calcium properly.

Definitely looks like a burn to me, and its in a classic site for them. Polysporin won't hurt at all. The best med for burns is Silvadene which is available from vets (they often have sample tubes they might just give you), but Polysporin without pain reliever will work too.

About the clumsiness and grip...these have nothing to do with a burn, but they are signs of other health issues; most likely nutritional defiencies. Describe your supplementation (how often and with what), your feeder gutloads, and dusts by brand. Also, your UV lighting bulb...brand and how long its been in use. You can also help him rescue himself from falls by putting a network of climbing branches at multiple levels in the cage.

Ok so I have a two in one light for him. Its a Power sun bulb. The same as I use for my veiled.

The bulb was bought brand new on Halloween. His terrarium is full of vines and rope and sticks at different heights. He also has a hammock.

His basking spot is around 85
His ambient spot is between 70 and 75

He eats Dubai roaches (6 a day) and hornworms (he will eat 4 big ones a day if I let him). Crickets (I only buy enough for one feed at a time because they stink and make annoying cricket noises lol) and a super worm here and there as a treat.

He also likes some fruits and veggies. I make my own dry gut load for my feeders and also use bug burger. They also get apples, carrots, different leafy greens ect.

I dust with flukers calcium without D3 everyday and with D3 twice a month. I also do vitamins twice a month. I also add liquid calcium to the water in the monsoon just in case.

The monsoon goes off every 2 hours for 1 minute through out the day.

Last night he came out and sat with me all evening until it was time for lights out. I tried putting him back into his terrarium twice and he wasn't having any of it. Normally as soon as he sees his home he is trying to reach for something to pull himself in, yesterday he refused to get off my hand. He is eating fine and drinking, no bathroom issues. Just this nasty burn business.

Back
Top Bottom