Brand New Chameleon

R0UCHEBAG

I just got a Veiled Chameleon about a week and a half ago. I am keeping the area small and simple for now, I'm setting the money aside go all out on a fantastic set up when he needs the upgrade. I took this picture about a week ago. Wish it was a better shot, but he doesn't like to be held, and I would like him to adjust more before harassing him. ;)

oh and HELLO EVERYBODY! I look forward to learning from you all! I have a feeling I will be asking for help soon ;)

IMG_0024.jpg

I would remove the substrate and use paper towels. Veileds will sometimes try to eat the substrate on the ground which can cause impaction (see below for details.) I can't see the full cage, but if you have no live plants, I would get some in there. Veileds sometimes eat foliage and will even try to eat fake foliage. If the chameleon actually manages to eat the plastic or silk plant, it will most likely result in impaction (blockage in the intestines, which can be fatal even if treated.) Impaction causes either a very big vet bill or a dead chameleon, or possibly even both.

Welcome to the forums. With a few tweaks your chameleon will be living a healthy happy life!

Hello their. Would you mind if I offer some help now? You need to do a bit of searching on the forum for the care of the little veiled. He needs to be in an all screen cage, no substrate on the floor, proper lighting, water, supplements, food and the list goes on.

To tell you the truth, when I was younger my brother had a Panther Chameleon and I always remembered thinking it was "super awesome". I had the strong urge one day to go buy one. When I went to the pet store that I SWORE I would never go to, the lady seemed like she knew it ALL and seemed highly intelligent and confident in the things she told me to buy. My chameleon has been a little off for the last few days and I was concerned. I went to this dreaded pet store today and asked what could be the problem. I was told improper lighting, as she told me that I didn't need to get any light with UVB. I only needed the "basking light" so I (like a moron) trusted her. She also told me to go with the substrate I got, although I mentioned that my brothers chameleon used to eat it, and she said "If they eat it, they just need the nutrients that is in it, and that is perfectly fine." I was quite upset when he had a mouth full of this "dirt" and was all sorts of grumpy, he also cut down on eating a little bit. I will start reading all of that now. I feel like a fool for listening to this lady.

Thank you for all of your help already, I truly appreciate it!

Good luck with your veiled. I would study the forums you will change alot judging by your pics of the cage.

To tell you the truth, when I was younger my brother had a Panther Chameleon and I always remembered thinking it was "super awesome". I had the strong urge one day to go buy one. When I went to the pet store that I SWORE I would never go to, the lady seemed like she knew it ALL and seemed highly intelligent and confident in the things she told me to buy. My chameleon has been a little off for the last few days and I was concerned. I went to this dreaded pet store today and asked what could be the problem. I was told improper lighting, as she told me that I didn't need to get any light with UVB. I only needed the "basking light" so I (like a moron) trusted her. She also told me to go with the substrate I got, although I mentioned that my brothers chameleon used to eat it, and she said "If they eat it, they just need the nutrients that is in it, and that is perfectly fine." I was quite upset when he had a mouth full of this "dirt" and was all sorts of grumpy, he also cut down on eating a little bit. I will start reading all of that now. I feel like a fool for listening to this lady.

Thank you for all of your help already, I truly appreciate it!

That's what they do:rolleyes:..not trying to be a di**...there's lot of information on here and see sum forum members gave u sum links..;)

That's what they do:rolleyes:..not trying to be a di**...there's lot of information on here and see sum forum members gave u sum links..;)

Yea I've noticed eh ;)

FYI the cage was def not complete when this pic was taken... I had barely started to put things in there... However I do notice, she said I needed a heating pad underneath the enclosure, and during all of that reading, it appears as if that is worthless? Seeing as they need to go SOMEWHERE to get away from the heat? >_< I feel like all of the money I have spent on him could have been much more useful purchasing other/better things.. I'm pretty frustrated, and I hope that I can fix the problems before its too late

Oh boy!

Yea I've noticed eh ;)

FYI the cage was def not complete when this pic was taken... I had barely started to put things in there... However I do notice, she said I needed a heating pad underneath the enclosure, and during all of that reading, it appears as if that is worthless? Seeing as they need to go SOMEWHERE to get away from the heat? >_< I feel like all of the money I have spent on him could have been much more useful purchasing other/better things.. I'm pretty frustrated, and I hope that I can fix the problems before its too late

Well... consider it a lesson learned... rarely can you trust "Petstore Advise" they normally cannot even care for the reptiles they keep in the sotore properly let alone give proper advise on husbandry & proper set up. But the good news is that you are in the right place now and you can make the needed adjustments so that you Cham will be happy and healthy.

You definatley need a UVB Reptisun 5.0 UVB?UVA 18" Fluorescent Blub with a Reptisun Terrarium Hood 20" is a good choice and used by lots of keepers here on the Forums. You will also need a basking light as well. If it were mje I'd definatley get rid of the subtrate it's bad if they digest it which you have seen your Cham do already plus it is a breeding ground for bacteria as well. You should not need a heating pad for under the bottom of the cage... a healthy Cham does not spend time hanging out in the bottom of the cage.

If you read all the links that were provided here for you and make your adjustments you should be fine. And if after you have any questions just ask.

No fault in learning...:D

Thanks for all of the useful links, I've found some wonderful stuff already. You guys are awesome.

I knew I shouldn't have trusted the pet store chick but she seemed so knowledgeable... ugh... I just get suckered sometimes. Lay down paper towels for now or for always? Is there a better covering of the ground to use? I have half a mind to walk in with EVERYTHING I bought and start all over! haha

Off to read now! Thanks again!!

Paper towels are good. They make it easy to pick up the poops. You change them out everyday. Duhhhh :)

Back
Top Bottom