blue spots n black dots.

Tinker85

My female veiled which is about 9 months old has the usual blue robin spots and she also shows black dots and designs when I try to handle her or come anywhere near her. Is she ready to mate and start breeding already? Her behaivior has changed a little as well. She likes to dwell the bottom of her cage sometimes now but she couldn't she stronger and healthier so I don't know if maybe she's looking for more food(I feed loose crickets at the bottom) or maybe I need to find a male????(which couldn't be at a worse time cuz I'm broke) thanks for the help

Yeah she eats great, she's actually kinda chubbier than usualy right now so I guess the next question would be....would it be better to breed her or just give her somewhere to drop the eggs?

Please read the breeding article as well as the article on keeping a female at the link I provided.
Laying is hard on them. They don't simply "drop" eggs, a female excavates a tunnel that is 12 to 18 inches deep before she is satisfied and will lay. The number of eggs varies, but if you are over feeding her, the number will be large.
She needs no more than 5 to 7 crickets every other day or every two days.
Once she is cycling eggs she can eat every day and the feeders should be heavily dusted in calcium without D3
Raising babies is a lot of work and, again, she does not need to be bred. She can live a very long and happy life without ever seeing a male.

-Brad

Ok, thank you very much. I will read the article and give her what she needs. I am home all the time and have a couple of reptiles that are all doing well but I've never tried breeding I think i m going to try and find her a male after I read the article and see what's needed.

Give her an egg laying bin immediately! It must be least ten inches deep. she should have plenty of room to dig depending on her size. You can use play sand. Also now is a very bad time to breed her because as you said you are broke also she needs all of her energy to lay the eggs. At the least there should be a bout 15 eggs. Make sure she has complete privacy. Don't even peek at her. She might decide to abandon the hole. When she has buried the eggs and gone to the branches take the eggs out and give her vitamins, food, and water. Of course if you have not bred her there is no need for the eggs. If she has the eggs to late she can die. Act as quick as you can because I was to late and lost my female veiled two days ago to egg binding.

I just put a bucket in her cage so hopefully all is well. She went right down to it.. walked around in it then went back up to the top of her cage

Back
Top Bottom