Birth Defects - *Graphic Images*

Possible albino Furcifer pardalis with servere birth defects in upper head region.

img0615ay.jpg

I would say it isn't albino, one of the last things to develop with chameleons I have seen is pigment. I have opened up a veiled egg because the baby cut the egg but didn't make it out ever and the pigment was completely white.

I think they appear white or albino because they hatched prematurely but were not developed enough to survive.

The egg of this chameleon was laid at 20.04.2012, and opened by me today 10.04.2013 after it had started to sweat and shrink as normal, but no opening of the egg witch is quite clear why.
A total of 37 eggs in te clutch, all 36 others have hatched within the last week like normal.
If you look close as the picture you can se clear yellow/white markings on the side witch was what made me quite sure.

The egg of this chameleon was laid at 20.04.2012, and opened by me today 10.04.2013 after it had started to sweat and shrink as normal, but no opening of the egg witch is quite clear why.
A total of 37 eggs in te clutch, all 36 others have hatched within the last week like normal.
If you look close as the picture you can se clear yellow/white markings on the side witch was what made me quite sure.

I think I will still stick to my premise that it just didn't develop. Did you cut it out of the egg? It still may of been developing.

Wrong thread posting. With my first young from bradypodion. The deformities im seeing are sorta like the tavetana pics but one side of the skull is also completely deformed. Should have taken pictures. The baby was alive for a couple hours also. It could not stand but on its side would "flail" if you will. When it tried to move.

werneri birth defects

First picture is a baby with one eye and a lip or jaw issue.

7F2B0542-02EF-4A38-BFAF-5D43D8B5E8D7_zpsmshyg7sb.jpg

503FC516-A3E7-435F-B7C3-6F2A02A8951E_zpsvhis72dh.jpg

These pictures show a head deformity similar to pictures posted previously. There are no eye's and a jaw issue.

D5E62234-7385-4F6F-A450-3F34307A0132_zps84k4ifsa.jpg

80296934-F0CD-41BF-9F49-5D6B3B5F8FB3_zpsxlogmo4o.jpg

Carl

The eyes and brain start developing right at the begining. Technically everything does, but other embryonic animals have brains and eye buds within days, not weeks of incubation/gestation. It's possible that something malfunctioned in the early stages of little embryo chameleon where the brain never budded off to make eyes, or the brain itself is really malformed, etc. Not that everything was progressing naturally, then something happened and the eyes reverted or were destroyed. But these things just happen naturally every so often, they're not necessarily due to anything but a glitch in the blueprints. Just a lot of bad luck for the little guy.

I do agree with your point. Temp at the early stage plays a very important role .

Siamese twins- quads

These babies went full term and the egg shrunk like it was going to hatch like the rest of the clutch, but never pipped. I cut it open yesterday and found these twins.

14 healthy babies hatched from this clutch, another never made it out of the egg, but was a normal baby. They incubated for 24weeks at 70F with no temperature spikes.

Attachments

• siamese twins2.jpg
    siamese twins2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 276
  • siamese twins1.jpg
    siamese twins1.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 244
I had a young Red Eared Slider hatch with no eyes. He lived a long life of 6 years and died of old age. I also have a Panther with no tail. Alive and well. It's truly amazing.

Hi Everyone,

If you have enough babies born, sooner or later you'll encounter babies born with birth defects. I've seen it on the forums a few times and last night experienced it for a second time myself. From what I've seen, it appears that the tail and eyes are two of the most prone areas for birth defects to show up, or at least for babies to end up hatching live with these defects (i.e. other defects may be lethal before hatching).

There was a previous thread I was able to locate with photos of a neonate Furcifer pardalis with a tail deformity: https://www.chameleonforums.com/neo-deformed-tail-breeders-please-51831/

I also personally had a baby Furcifer cf. laterals var. "major" hatch without a tail at all and his hemipenes everted:
Furciferlateralismajor098copy1.jpg

I've also seen photos in the past of babies born without eyes and last night, I had a baby Kinyongia tavetana born this way as well:
CRW_7967copy.jpg

CRW_7974copy.jpg

Unfortunately this baby will have to be put down because there is no way for it to eat on its own and it is far to small to be force-fed in sufficient quantities to grow appropriately. The neonate Furcifer cf. laterals var. "major" I had born also did not make it.

I wondered if anyone else had any photographs of birth defects they have experienced?

Chris
I'm not sure what's wrong with 4 month old female veiled Cham. Her eye was like this when we got her is it a birth defect or something else...?
image.png

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 188
Honestly I thought it was a shorter life span for them. Thanks, but my point was simply that he lived a very unexpected length of time, despite deformities.
For an animal with no eyes to live for any length of time is pretty incredible.

I had a young Red Eared Slider hatch with no eyes. He lived a long life of 6 years and died of old age. I also have a Panther with no tail. Alive and well. It's truly amazing.
Edit- Literally just sent Panther to new home! Yay for him!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom