Birth Defects - *Graphic Images*

Here is one picture of the little parson whit the defects.
I think the deformations are good healed but look self...

The growth is still not as good but we'll see.

Attachments

• IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0156.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 525
Defects are always tragic and fascinating at the same time. Some can be random. But most are due to inbreeding.

I breed Endlers (a type of wild guppy). And i started out with 2 trios from unrealted populations. 10-12 generations later i starting to get defects almost ever batch (Albinos, one less/extra fin, joined twins). I got 2 more trios from another unrelated population to broaden my genepool and it took 2-3 generations to get back to normal births.

I think this can be applied to almost any animal.

I agree, i bred guppies and endlers, as well as most other livebearers and they are so easy to inbreed. its hard keeping vaired bloodlines.

Luckily egg laying fish are harder to inbreed due to the typical larger sizes and longer periods of maturation till being ready to breed.

Birth defects are really tragic. i hate to see that, seeing it in chams in very sad, but it can happen with all life forms.

A random change can occur due to high energetic cosmic particles. (that would then most likely occur just one out of many births)

In turtles deformation of scales is pretty normal, i breed lots of them myself, and then the scales get split at high incubation temperatures (typical females)
If you see a turtle with a scale split, you can bet pretty sure its a female.

If it is a genetic thing, i would expect depending on dominant or recessive gene something like 25%, 50% or 100% (on larger numbers)

I hatched a veiled whos cask is bent over...I dont actually know if this was a birth defect or not because it wa not evident until his cask started to grow bigger.
405106_10150915333769251_716454250_13123245_785302498_n.jpg

Very interesting post and pics. Once you start hatching a reasonable number of reptiles (snakes, lizards, etc) you are bound to see this type of occurrence.

Never easy, but it does come with the gig.

Out of curiosity, did you have any temperature spikes during incubation? I can't remember if we've ever talked about it but "back in the day" I had a clutch of quadricornis with some eye issues. Of the 6 babies that hatched, one essentially had a hare-lip eyelid where it was split all the way up to the forehead, one had no eyes, two had one eye each, and three were seemingly normal. I always suspected a week or two of temps getting up to 76F during the day were to blame. Never took any photos of them, though.

Hey, I just came by this forum and saw this post. I just had a bab f. paradalis hatch that was mutated. It was an extraordinary mutation however, the baby was born with transparent skin, and you can actually see all of his vital organs working! I took a video, and as many pictures that my girlfriend would allow. Also, when we tried to get some light on it, the little fella opened his eye! We felt terrible for the little fella and decided to leave him alone. I'm probably going to put him down in some quick way (not sure the best way, but shouldn't be too difficult....Any suggestions?) Anyways, I am going to video this some more. I'm really interested in this post in particular because I did have a noticable temp. spike in the last 3 to 4 weeks of incubation. If anyone is interested in the video let me know, I'm not quite sure how to submit it other than posting it on youtube. Unless you can post videos from camera phones on cham forums? Anyways. Night ya'll. Naturez crazy.

Hey, I just came by this forum and saw this post. I just had a bab f. paradalis hatch that was mutated. It was an extraordinary mutation however, the baby was born with transparent skin, and you can actually see all of his vital organs working! I took a video, and as many pictures that my girlfriend would allow. Also, when we tried to get some light on it, the little fella opened his eye! We felt terrible for the little fella and decided to leave him alone. I'm probably going to put him down in some quick way (not sure the best way, but shouldn't be too difficult....Any suggestions?) Anyways, I am going to video this some more. I'm really interested in this post in particular because I did have a noticable temp. spike in the last 3 to 4 weeks of incubation. If anyone is interested in the video let me know, I'm not quite sure how to submit it other than posting it on youtube. Unless you can post videos from camera phones on cham forums? Anyways. Night ya'll. Naturez crazy.
Please post the video. Sorry I don't have any advice, but I hope someone will chime in soon.

Euthanization

I know that some say oh put them in the freezer, others say smash their head, some say take them to the bet for euthanization. Personally thats a very hard choice to make! I would do whatever method that u feel is the least painful for the little guy! :(

I know that some say oh put them in the freezer, others say smash their head, some say take them to the bet for euthanization. Personally thats a very hard choice to make! I would do whatever method that u feel is the least painful for the little guy! :(
Don't put it in the freezer! It's very painful method.

This page was super helpful. Wasnt exactly sure what I had when I opened my egg container this morning but this confermed my worst fears. Poor little baby born without eyes. I've only ever had 2 clutches hatch. This came as quite a shocker.

http://m1288.photobucket.com/albumv...oads/20130404_134957_zps77be86a3.jpg.html?o=0

wow, that is absolutely incredible and terrible to see! :eek:

so sorry for your situation! can you tell us about your methods and see if we can maybe help? including information about the parents and basic husbandry techniques too.

nice job with the photo btw—you pushed that out to the max on your camera but still have a very clear shot!

Last edited:
I'm not really sure about them theirselves. The were bought of craigslist at about 2 years old. The woman who had them kept them in the same cage. My female was already gravid. I suspect that them were related. We never bred them ourselves. There weren't any birth defects in the first clutch. And while I have 15 more eggs to go out of this clutch it looks like he was the only one with a birth defect out of this clutch. In the first clutch every one of her 46 eggs hatched. This clutch is a little different. At 7 months my damn cat snuck into my chameleon room and into the closet to pounce on the eggs. Out of 52 eggs I lost 12. Thought I was gonna loose them all. But at 8.5 months the babies started hatching out. I have no idea if this caused the defect. I feel like this deformity would hav probably been there from the begining but I'm not sure. The eggs generally stayed at about 75º f but I don't know if the temp ever spiked too high.

IMO the kitty situation had nothing at all to do with the birth defect. Anything's possible, but not probable.

Is he alive?

The eyes and brain start developing right at the begining. Technically everything does, but other embryonic animals have brains and eye buds within days, not weeks of incubation/gestation. It's possible that something malfunctioned in the early stages of little embryo chameleon where the brain never budded off to make eyes, or the brain itself is really malformed, etc. Not that everything was progressing naturally, then something happened and the eyes reverted or were destroyed. But these things just happen naturally every so often, they're not necessarily due to anything but a glitch in the blueprints. Just a lot of bad luck for the little guy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom