Behold!

My adult was running around today, an unexpected surprise.
0210211459~2.jpg

Either looking for food, or its deceased friends.

Ive got another shipment with a different vendor lined up for mid Feb. Hopefully that one works out better.

Red runners are amazing feeders, but I feel they don't breed quite as fast as you'd expect. They are more prolific and grow at a decent rate, but with all the talk of them, I personally thought they'd be faster. Pycnoscelus roaches I find to be the fastest of all.

Red runners are amazing feeders, but I feel they don't breed quite as fast as you'd expect. They are more prolific and grow at a decent rate, but with all the talk of them, I personally thought they'd be faster. Pycnoscelus roaches I find to be the fastest of all.

The problem with Pycnoscelus is they burrow :D And they do it well.

They are a pretty pathogenic roach though.

Well right now the red runners job right now is to grow, same with the ivory heads.

0225212043b~2.jpg

0225212253~2.jpg

0225212253~3.jpg

Very true lol. I think eublaberus roaches and red runners are my favorite feeders. Blaberus are nice too of course, but I prefer the meatiness of eublaberus. Lobster roaches are good feeders, but I don't keep a lot of them for fear of escapes.

Very true lol. I think eublaberus roaches and red runners are my favorite feeders. Blaberus are nice too of course, but I prefer the meatiness of eublaberus. Lobster roaches are good feeders, but I don't keep a lot of them for fear of escapes.

I'm pondering lobster roaches myself. I think though I'm going to go for green banana roaches, Panchlora nivea, next,(once my colonies are established) I need more soft bodied species, eventually.

As for roaches to show off, I'm hoping to start up Simandoa conserfariam eventually, along with orange heads but that's in the future lol.

I'm pondering lobster roaches myself. I think though I'm going to go for green banana roaches, Panchlora nivea, next,(once my colonies are established) I need more soft bodied species, eventually.

As for roaches to show off, I'm hoping to start up Simandoa conserfariam eventually, along with orange heads but that's in the future lol.

Should go for the giant banana roaches, although they're a little more wild lol.

I had simandoa conserfarium, but I screwed something up and a chunk of them died. Had a pair at the end, but never got nymphs. Same thing happened with my warty glowspot around the same time so maybe something in the soil I used for them IDK. Thought about getting more of them along with giant lobsters(not the same as regular lobsters). Both have good feeder potential and look pretty cool.

Something from gyna genus would make a cool soft bodied species.

Should go for the giant banana roaches, although they're a little more wild lol.

I had simandoa conserfarium, but I screwed something up and a chunk of them died. Had a pair at the end, but never got nymphs. Same thing happened with my warty glowspot around the same time so maybe something in the soil I used for them IDK. Thought about getting more of them along with giant lobsters(not the same as regular lobsters). Both have good feeder potential and look pretty cool.

Something from gyna genus would make a cool soft bodied species.

I will get my bug room eventually. :D

Last thing I'll ramble about right now...

How cool would a glowspot roach display tank be with dead logs inoculated with bioluminescent mushroom spores? Have a little glowing forest floor set up and hopefully get the roaches glowing too.

One of my 'one day when I have space' plans

Last thing I'll ramble about right now...

How cool would a glowspot roach display tank be with dead logs inoculated with bioluminescent mushroom spores? Have a little glowing forest floor set up and hopefully get the roaches glowing too.

One of my 'one day when I have space' plans

Right? It seems we are nearly twins in the bug department anyway.

Anyways it's time for you to start showing off your roach feeders and pets, mine need a break from all the fame lol.

Well here are some red runners eating. I will try to get pics of he ivory heads later, but they are a bit more nervous right now.

0225212253~2.jpg

These guys are eating a milk bone marrow treat, with "real" bone marrow in the middle.
0225212253~3.jpg

The funny thing is I can hear the ivory heads trying to hide the marrow treats that I use, since they dont want to share them lol.

I had a minor die off of red runners. I'm down to 60 or so, caught me off guard since I thought this species liked it dry and warm. And have a bullet proof reputation.

Either way I've changed their set up around and gave them a small water dish, and localized humid areas with soil as substrate.

Ironically the ivory heads are doing swell. But I've given them localized humid areas as well just be safe. If any roach was going to have issues with anything I was counting on them, not the nearly bullet proof red runners.

I'm changing everyone's diet over to dog food, that I've had good results with rather than dog treats just to be safe. And I'm adding more fruit rather than just greens.

0307211614~2.jpg

Red Runners new setup
0307211622.jpg

Ivory heads
0307211550c~2.jpg

Ivory head new set up.
0307211626.jpg

I'm not too put off since red runners are cheap to replace and the ones that were left looked very healthy.

@jamest0o0

Any additional insights?

I always kept my red runners on the humid/moist side. They've done well for me like this. I did have a die off one time last year when a bin i kept in my shed got a phorid fly invasion. They weren't parasitic, but something about once a few died, more started dying.

I always kept my red runners on the humid/moist side. They've done well for me like this. I did have a die off one time last year when a bin i kept in my shed got a phorid fly invasion. They weren't parasitic, but something about once a few died, more started dying.

Well they have a more humid setup now, that should help.

Back
Top Bottom