Before and after

Ranka

Finally as promised, some pictures of Maclovio's enclosure. He used to live in a very small glass aquarium when I adopted him (I dont understand how a pet shop employee had him under this conditions).
As soon as I brought him home, I began to build his enclosure and here are some changes it has had with time.
The two sides and the top have screen on them and the front and back are made of acrylic. The front is the door, it can be easily removed for routine mantainance and feeding.
The top can be easily removed as well for easy access.

On the bottom I placed another acrylic with holes on it and an inch below I have another solid acrylic in which I am planning to put a hose to drain the water that acumulates there (even though it is not very much). (I am still missing to build the base where I will place his terrarium. It will have two buckets underneath one for the misting system and the other one for draining water)

And also I am missing some plants on the foreground. (I am working on this)
The basking light will be placed outside the terrarium as soon as I put a misting system.

HOPE YOU LIKE IT! It's been a lot of work.

Sometimes Maclovio has a dark coloration. Specially when he is at his basking spot. And some others he is green. Could you guess why?? At first I thought because of the colour of the foreground or probably because of some reflections but I am not sure. Or is it normal?
His eyes were very bad when I brought him home but with this new enclosure (is more humid) and the water I've been spraying he is much better now!

Attachments

• Imagen001.jpg
    Imagen001.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3909.jpg
    IMG_3909.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3922.jpg
    IMG_3922.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_3941.jpg
    IMG_3941.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_3919.jpg
    IMG_3919.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 257
It is a totally awesome cage and you did a great job...but that acrylic can stress the veiled because he can see his own reflection.

Other than that, I am loving the setup!

Thank's for the comments. In that picture his eyes look more sunk than normal. I adopted him about two months ago and he was really dehidrated. He is getting better now. At least that is what I have been able to see with the pass of time..

About the acrylic, what would you suggest. i need to have solid sides to keep temperature up. The foreground will be covered with plants to avoid reflections.

in that photo, he appears to be very dehydrated, make sure to offer up lots of misting for the next few days +dripper.

also did he ever suffer from MBD? possibly prior to your owner ship?

Here some suggestion to rehabilitate your chameleon:
He looked to be severely dehydrated and underweight.
the sunken eyes definitely the sign for dehydration (good thing you are aware of it).

If you notice his casque, the area is sunk deep.
A veiled chameleon store fat into the casque area. Although you want to avoid overfeeding the cham that the area become so fat, normal and healthy chameleon should have at least a good plump (outward instead of inward) look to the casque.
DSCN1500.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

Give him lots of water, feed him high water content feeders such as silkworms and hornworms. It's a good idea to gave him butter worms as well if he likes them. It should help him gain fat a little bit.
I agree with Sang. His leg is a bit funky. Chameleon's legs should not curve like that. So, you probably do want to schedule an appointment with the vet.
If you are located in US, here is a good link: www.herpvetconnection.com.

Hope your chameleon will become better under your care.
I wish you all the luck! Keep us updated

Last edited:
Thank's for the comments. In that picture his eyes look more sunk than normal. I adopted him about two months ago and he was really dehidrated. He is getting better now. At least that is what I have been able to see with the pass of time..

About the acrylic, what would you suggest. i need to have solid sides to keep temperature up. The foreground will be covered with plants to avoid reflections.

all screen walls would be ideal. Veiled do just fine. I have four with all screen enclosures. Humidity should not be a main focus for these assholes.:D

One other concern is that basking bulb inside his enclosure. I would remove that to avoid possible injury, I wouldn't wait for the misting system to do this.

thank you all for your comments. About dehidration I am really working on it and he is a lot better than before. I know he is not perfect but I hope he will be soon.
I didn't know about the casque but I will keep an eye on to see how he improves.
About MBD the previous owner told me he was very healthy and that a reptile expert just checked him a week before he delviered Maclovio to me but as soon as I saw him I knew he was dehidrated so I can't believe a reptile expert told him he was in excellent shape.

Thanks again!

It is a totally awesome cage and you did a great job...but that acrylic can stress the veiled because he can see his own reflection.

Other than that, I am loving the setup!

How do you come to this conclusion ???
There are too less branches with the right bore... The spot shouldn't be inside the enclosure. The chameleon itself looks horrible. It's not far away from death !

To help with the dehydration, but him on a plant and put the plant in the shower. Spray the wall at the side of the shower so the stream isn't hitting him directly, both of my chameleons love it.

I was just wondering how is your basking light hanging it looks like its one you would see in your bedroom. Surely this is dangrous when misting?

Your enclosure

I agree with the other comments. The acrylic front should be replaced with screen, no basking light inside the enclosure, smaller diameter branches, and definitely more foliage (and higher up.)

I placed a cable from one side to the other of the terrarium and the lamp hangs from there. I am building a cover for the lamp to be able to place it outside.
When misting, it is dangerous but I remove the front cover and mist from a short distance to avoid misting the bulb. NO accidents yet. Also I've been taking him into the shower to give him water.

About the foliage I agree with you, I am just searching for a nice plant to place inside with more branches and leaves that will cover the right side of the enclosure.

Why do you suggest removing the acrylic on the front?
I placed it for two reasons. The first, to keep temperatures higher and the second is to be able to put a misting system (which I'm trying to build with the motor of a cars' windshield water system, if it is too expensive I will go with a MistKing) and not watering the carpet.
I am asking this because I have seen several glass enclosures in this forum and the previous owner used to keep it in an aquarium.
The enclosure I built has 3 sides made out of screen.

By the way, I live in Mexico City. I will take him this weekend to a vet for a checkup. But really I have seen him get better. Even my sisters tell me he looks much better now. I know he is not in perfect health conditions but I've seen him improve. The only thing I haven't seen much improvement is in his coloration which I think with the other plant I want to place in his enclosure will get better.

Once again, I appreciate everybody's help and comments. I want to give the best to Maclovio.

How do you come to this conclusion ???
There are too less branches with the right bore... The spot shouldn't be inside the enclosure. The chameleon itself looks horrible. It's not far away from death !

oh i wasnt talking about the internal set up. I enjoy the cage itself.... The frame and stuff. When people get creative with that stuff. I am one who appreciates the build...

Back
Top Bottom