Bed 3 hours early?

jeanjacket812

My new male is on a lighting schedule of 8 am to 8 pm. However the little bugger goes to his sleep spot at 5ish everyday and just hunkers down there until lights out. Anyone else have this? He doesn't actually go to sleep he just lays down in the sleep position. My female might go to her sleep spot 45 minutes early which is expectable. Is 3 hours early everyday crazy?

I think there might be something wrong. They shouldn't be going to sleep until the lights are out. The other forum members might have different opinions but I have never had a chameleon go to sleep early unless they are sick. What kind of uv lighting are you using?

Yah he stays awake till 8. He is very active all day so maybe he just wants to chill. I've been checking in on him everyday about 5:30 and sure enough hes on his sleep leaf just staring up at me. As for lighting I'm using a Reptiglo 5.0 and a 40 watt housebulb.

All of my new ones do this. At least for the first week, they are getting used to the different light schedule I use. My new female did this same thing for about a week and a half, then was completely adjusted to my light schedule and doesn't do it anymore. Now my new male is doing it. They will adjust.

your using the non compact linear reptiglo 5.0 right? also is 40 wats putting out enough heat for the type and age of your cham?

I agreed but i also have another idea...what as his previous light schedule..if the was already on a schedule he could be leting you know hey this is when id like to go to bed. My chams are on a 6 to 6 and i hate it but at the time i was geting up really early with a new puppy. i recently tried to change it to a 8 to 8 and well like clock work they all went to their sleeping spot at 6...i would rule out any sickness before trying this out..but hey just a thought

When does it get dark outside where you live? I know I had the lights going out at 8 and when it was getting dark outside around 6 I would notice my cham going to bed around then even though his lights would be on afterwards. I also noticed that I moved his plant in his enclosure and he started going to bed early, so they may do it when they are adjusting to new surroundings.

Yes I am using linear bulb and the 40 watt makes the 16 x 16 x 20 at about 81 degrees at the basking spot. I was thinking that maybe he never adjusted to the spring forward time change. I checked on him at 6:30 and he was out. I'm not thinking he's sick at all if he was I don't think he would be going to his designated sleeping spot. I guess I'm just going to cut his lights on back an hour and a half. Day light here is setting at about 7:30

Yes I am using linear bulb and the 40 watt makes the 16 x 16 x 20 at about 81 degrees at the basking spot. I was thinking that maybe he never adjusted to the spring forward time change. I checked on him at 6:30 and he was out. I'm not thinking he's sick at all if he was I don't think he would be going to his designated sleeping spot. I guess I'm just going to cut his lights on back an hour and a half. Day light here is setting at about 7:30

My little cham does this alot when he sees that it's dark outside.
He just moves into his sleep place and stays there for lights out.
I don't think anything is wrong because my little guy is active all the time, eats healthily and poops well.
Like everyone said, maybe he is just letting you know that he wants to go to bed earlier :)

sleeping

Aloha,
Our little guy is active all day, eating and drinking in the morning when he wakes up then cruising his habitat until about 5:30 when it starts to get a little darker, sunset is around 6:30 this time of the year, he then just relaxes and when we turn his light off around 6:30 goes to one of his sleeping spots. We aren't concerned at all, he is just telling us his schedule. That is what they do in the wild.

Mahalo,
Beth:)

Back
Top Bottom