Eustismy Jackson’s going to bed early

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I wonder if it’s the time change yesterday but not sure. Eustis went to his sleeping spot today at 3:30 pm and was looking very sleepy. It’s a little after 5:30 pm and he’s dead asleep.
plights don’t go out until 7 pm. I don’t usually do anything special at the time changes, just change the clocks but I keep the lights on 7 am to 7 pm just like usual. Should I be worried you think?

I don't know but I adjusted my lights to mimic the seasons as best I can. It's breaking day here now around 6 am and dark around 6 pm. I'm in Florida so not getting cooler yet. Gojia with watch.jpg

Last edited:
Something discussed also yesterday and my Xanth Sonny is among them

Is 9 hours a day based on others experience or the local conditions? I wouldn't think there would be that big a change in day length at their latitude. Just a curious observer here with no practical experience.
Great observer you’re and good question. To be honest, it‘s on a own observation. Our house and the room the chameleons are in, most free range, get a lot light from the outside and have visual on it. I notice in winter that they go to their sleeping spot at around 4:30pm and then are waiting till the lights turn off. At 05:00pm till 07:30am its dark outside (overhere), therefore I adjusted light cyclus and will do this till spring. During summer this is 0.5 till 1.0 hour before lights turn off, around 6:30 till 7:00pm.
All 4 of my chameleon show this behavior, however my veiled is in the living room and her I keep on normal schedule.

In that discussion you were talking about your parson's and I know they require a brumation period. I was curious about your shortening the days because at latitudes near the equator there is less change in the length of days than there is in our more northern latitudes. Places like Kenya and Madagascar might only have shorter days by half an hour this time of year. I would not significantly shorten the days for my jackson's.

I have never had a species that brumates so I don't know the protocol for them.

In that discussion you were talking about your parson's and I know they require a brumation period. I was curious about your shortening the days because at latitudes near the equator there is less change in the length of days than there is in our more northern latitudes. Places like Kenya and Madagascar might only have shorter days by half an hour this time of year. I would not significantly shorten the days for my jackson's.

I know, that’s a bit the confusing part about it. My Xanth, Boehmei and Parsons are all in the same room and all three showing this same behavior (like Linda is also noticing). It could be that they have visual on the outside light cyclus that triggers this behavior our they feel this seasonal change with also some slight temps in the room, it’s all guessing. My problem is when I change the light cyclus of parsons, the lights from the other two will still interfere with it. This is the first time and will see how it turns out. So far no change in appetite, drinking or defecation. Personally, I don’t think that genetics overrule situational adaptation, which is maybe an interesting discussion 😊
Keep you posted on it.

O and I wasn’t implying Linda needs to do the same, just that I’ve noticed the same behavior with also my Xanth. Until things aren’t proven by facts and experience, we should follow the known and proven path.

Eustis can see out the front window as well so he knows when the sun goes down. So I’m a little confused by this conversation. Should I be making changes to my light schedule or not? I did change the light schedule along with the clocks so he still has light from 7 am til 7 pm but it’s on the daylight savings time schedule.

Well that day was the first day of daylight savings and I had moved the time back one hour so his lights were on the new schedule but he was still on the old one. He did better today. I’m going to keep an eye on him though.

Yes he’s now heading to his sleeping spot early at about 4:00 pm but not going to sleep yet, just looking sleepy. It gets dark here at 4 pm now so I’m sure it’s kind of messing with his schedule. He will get used to it I’m sure. He’s eating well and pooping well and doing everything he should be. I don’t see any obvious signs f illness but m watching him closely.

Back
Top Bottom