Beardies

Ours is turning into a Toddler 🤦‍♀️ she is on a bug ban as she is refusing her salad (we are keeping an eye on the weight) and currently will only eat anything out of the salad if it is in the tweezers and not green. Put anything remotely green in the viv and you get the usual stink eye.

I blame the other half for constantly caving to her cuteness and rewarding the cuteness with worms of the wax and morio variety 🤦‍♀️

Opal is losing weight. Feeding her insects 2 or 3 times a week, and veggies every day has really helped her out.
I'm confused. Are you trying to take weight off of her, or concerned that she's losing some?

I'm offering salad daily, which is a bit easier now that the weather is warming up.
I've cut back on bugs to every other day, but same amount.
Yesterday he ate 1 of 2 dandelion flowers from the yard.
Missus has been trying plants & flowers she recently bought ahead for her tortoise that are good for both species. 💩ing less often—which I'd expect—but bigger, stinkier (if anyone could imagine such a thing 🤦‍♂️) and considerably more water.

I'm confused. Are you trying to take weight off of her, or concerned that she's losing some?

I'm offering salad daily, which is a bit easier now that the weather is warming up.
I've cut back on bugs to every other day, but same amount.
Yesterday he ate 1 of 2 dandelion flowers from the yard.
Missus has been trying plants & flowers she recently bought ahead for her tortoise that are good for both species. 💩ing less often—which I'd expect—but bigger, stinkier (if anyone could imagine such a thing 🤦‍♂️) and considerably more water.
Take it off. She was getting to be a chunky girl.

I blame the other half for constantly caving to her cuteness and rewarding the cuteness with worms of the wax and morio variety 🤦‍♀️

Ol' Stinkeye had a superworm "addiction" for a while. It was tricky because he was still growing (I hate using starvation tactics on any creature while they're still growing). IIRC, I still offered him food every day—just not superworms. Eventually we got past it, and they haven't been a problem since, but they're all different.

Any chance of substituting the reward with a roach or blueberry or something?
Crickets, Dubias, Hornworms, Silkworms all have relatively lower fat.

Gave Opal a hibiscus flower that I grew....
She looked at it for a while and then ate the entire thing. 🤣
20210509_173642.jpg
20210509_174040.jpg

Gave Opal a hibiscus flower that I grew....
She looked at it for a while and then ate the entire thing. 🤣
I'll file that away. We've gotten Stinkeye to eat a couple of dandelion flowers and a few greens.
Some things are starting to bloom that we'll have to check against the lists.

I'll file that away. We've gotten Stinkeye to eat a couple of dandelion flowers and a few greens.
Some things are starting to bloom that we'll have to check against the lists.
It surprised me how much she seemed to enjoy it! I didn't think she was going to eat it, but she gobbled it down!

Right now even our houseplant space is at a premium. Between what Missus grows for enclosure spares, feeding, and now prepping for her tortoise (not to mention the stuff she's had for years, like my mom's holiday cactus since '85), all the plant tables & hangers are filled up!

We're down to what's growing in the yard & back meadow.

This Weirdo...​

Stomping around and bobbing—he throws his whole body into it, resulting in his front end jumping up & down stomping his little feet as he bobs...

Now instead of climbing his mountain, he's jumping up from step to step. He got to the top and stopped—just like this—teetering on the edge with his back feet hanging in mid-air for 15-20 minutes.

1620911195436.png

1620911057763.png

This Weirdo...​

Stomping around and bobbing—he throws his whole body into it, resulting in his front end jumping up & down stomping his little feet as he bobs...

Now instead of climbing his mountain, he's jumping up from step to step. He got to the top and stopped—just like this—teetering on the edge with his back feet hanging in mid-air for 15-20 minutes.

View attachment 300983

View attachment 300982
It must be upper body work out day. He’s gotta stay in shape for the ladies.
I truly love your descriptions of Ol’ Stinkeye’s escapades. He sounds like a riot!

This Weirdo...​

View attachment 300983

View attachment 300982
He is, for sure, a weirdo! Hilarious little dude.

It must be upper body work out day. He’s gotta stay in shape for the ladies.
I truly love your descriptions of Ol’ Stinkeye’s escapades. He sounds like a riot!
THX. He is. He drove me nuts the other day with all his tearing around, so I took him out and let him run it off in the hallway (18'L and I close all the doors). He runs up & down & up & down & up & down... Then tries to get out the one place I can't close off completely until I stop him. He's dedicated though; no matter how many times I catch him & turn him around, he keeps trying... Hasn't made it yet. I have no idea where he thinks he's going (or can go).

After 45 minutes or so,he gets tuckered out, so I put him back in and he basks up, then takes a nap until lights-out.

THX. He is. He drove me nuts the other day with all his tearing around, so I took him out and let him run it off in the hallway (18'L and I close all the doors). He runs up & down & up & down & up & down... Then tries to get out the one place I can't close off completely until I stop him. He's dedicated though; no matter how many times I catch him & turn him around, he keeps trying... Hasn't made it yet. I have no idea where he thinks he's going (or can go).

After 45 minutes or so,he gets tuckered out, so I put him back in and he basks up, then takes a nap until lights-out.
Ahh...cardio day! :ROFLMAO:
The most I get from Spike is he sits or stands on his back feet staring at me until I open his door and let him jump on me. Then he just sits on me.

Ahh...cardio day! :ROFLMAO:
The most I get from Spike is he sits or stands on his back feet staring at me until I open his door and let him jump on me. Then he just sits on me.
Stinkeye won't do that. I open the door and offer him my hand or the towel we use for beardie burritos, and he looks at it like, "Whaddaya want me to do with that?"

But in the hallway, he'll keep charging into it to get up my arm & out the gap. Silly lizard.

Missus just picked up a couple potted hibiscus at the grocery. Need to quarantine them for a bit & clean em up.

Stinkeye has decided he likes clover & clover flowers (Yay! More greens he'll eat!)
We've been picking it daily from the yard, and reducing his bugs.

I always thought if I didn't feed him roaches for a few days, he'd break down and eat his greens, but I found out he'll eat them sooner if I give him just a few bugs. I'm guessing eating a little—but not enough—stimulates his appetite enough to eat his greens. He got a bowl of bugs today 'cuz it's supplement day, and he doesn't like the supplements on his greens.

Back
Top Bottom