Beardies

He's been on a vertical kick this week...

View attachment 303807

He's back to his "standing in the corner" thing again. He doesn't climb; he just sits there for hours at a time. 🤷‍♂️

1626797884725.jpeg

Can y’all help me with a beardie question please. I was watching a @Gingero video rating enclosures and she mentioned uvb can’t pass through aquarium glass. This is the enclosure I made for Luno. It’s a 75g aquarium. I turned it on it’s side, installed 5 inch vents across the the top and some other stuff. The enclosure is bioactive, using Biodudes arid substrate.

8F31E1A7-83B5-478D-9C1F-2135ADAA7110.jpeg

A64895A6-2570-4260-922D-09D3AE895E6A.jpeg

I’m worried he isn’t getting any or enough uvb. I used a uvb tester card and it said the uvb inside Luno’s house is good, but maybe those cards aren’t trust worthy. IDK, any thoughts and help would be appreciated. Luno seems healthy and happy, however he does spend a lot of time on the upper rim of his walls.

We’re outside sunning ourselves right now just in case lol

0CFFE4DF-8F71-4388-A0F6-F6560DD4058E.jpeg

Last edited:
Can y’all help me with a beardie question please. I was watching a @Gingero video rating enclosures and she mentioned uvb can’t pass through aquarium glass. This is the enclosure I made for Luno. It’s a 75g aquarium. I turned it on it’s side, installed 5 inch vents across the the top and some other stuff. The enclosure is bioactive, using Biodudes arid substrate.

View attachment 305979

View attachment 305980

I’m worried he isn’t getting any or enough uvb. I used a uvb tester card and it said the uvb inside Luno’s house is good, but maybe those cards aren’t trust worthy. IDK, any thoughts and help would be appreciated. Luno seems healthy and happy, however he does spend a lot of time on the upper rim of his walls.

View attachment 305981
Aww…he’s a cutie!
No, uvb can’t pass thru glass. It would be better to turn the tank so the screen is on top so he can get uvb. Another option would be to hang your uvb inside of the enclosure. I don’t think those uvb cards are of much use for reptile keeping. Only a solarmeter 6.5 would be able to determine uvb levels.

Aww…he’s a cutie!
No, uvb can’t pass thru glass. It would be better to turn the tank so the screen is on top so he can get uvb. Another option would be to hang your uvb inside of the enclosure. I don’t think those uvb cards are of much use for reptile keeping. Only a solarmeter 6.5 would be able to determine uvb levels.
The vents do seem to allow UVB to pass through. Do you think adding more vents could help or it just wouldn’t be enough.

75g is too small for a full-grown beardie; 120g (48 x 24 x 24) minimum, and as much larger as you can manage. I built mine 60 x 24 x 30, and I think it's too small—wish I'd gone 72" or even 96".

The others are correct; UVB canot pass through glass or most plastics. In fact, I used glass doors on my beardie enclosure to stop the stronger (10.0) UVB from bleeding out into the room and affecting our eyes. The small amount your little guy is getting through those vents is not sufficient (I have the same vents in the back of my enclosure).

What strength UVB is it, and how long vs. length of the enclosure. Unlike with chameleons, UVB should not run the entire width of a beardie enclosure; they need to be able to get out of it. I can't tell from the pics if he has any hides, but he should have at least one or two.

1626808830743.png

https://www.reptileadvisor.com/bearded-dragon-lighting/

I know keepers who go as low as 1/2 width.

Apart from basking, they also don't need a lot so providing gradients of both basking temp and UVB are important.

I don't put much stock in those cards either; I think a Solarmeter 6.5x or DIY equivalent is really the way to go, especially if you're going to be keeping more than one reptile.

Spending time in the upper regions could be seeking more heat, more UVB, or just because they're semi-arboreal and like being up high. 🤷‍♂️

Outside time is great, but if/when he says he's had enough (tries to get out of the sun), I'd listen. ;)

Until you get his enclosure rectified, I'd give him calcium w/ D3 once per day, 6 days a week, but please don't use this as a reason/excuse to not rectify the UVB sitch.

Aww…he’s a cutie!
Aren't they all? :)

Last edited:
75g is too small for a full-grown beardie; 120g (48 x 24 x 24) minimum, and as much larger as you can manage. I built mine 60 x 24 x 30, and I think it's too small—wish I'd gone 72" or even 96".

The others are correct; UVB canot pass through glass or most plastics. In fact, I used glass doors on my beardie enclosure to stop the stronger (10.0) UVB from bleeding out into the room and affecting our eyes. The small amount your little guy is getting through those vents is not sufficient (I have the same vents in the back of my enclosure).

What strength UVB is it, and how long vs. length of the enclosure. Unlike with chameleons, UVB should not run the entire width of a beardie enclosure; they need to be able to get out of it. I can't tell from the pics if he has any hides, but he should have at least one or two.

View attachment 305987
https://www.reptileadvisor.com/bearded-dragon-lighting/

I know keepers who go as low as 1/2 width.

Apart from basking, they also don't need a lot so providing gradients of both basking temp and UVB are important.

I don't put much stock in those cards either; I think a Solarmeter 6.5x or DIY equivalent is really the way to go, especially if you're going to be keeping more than one reptile.

Spending time in the upper regions could be seeking more heat, more UVB, or just because they're semi-arboreal and like being up high. 🤷‍♂️

Outside time is great, but if/when he says he's had enough (tries to get out of the sun), I'd listen. ;)

Until you get his enclosure rectified, I'd give him calcium w/ D3 once per day, 6 days a week, but please don't use this as a reason/excuse to not rectify the UVB sitch.

Aren't they all? :)

Thank you for the feedback! I’m using the Arcadia 12% it’s 4ft, which is the length of his enclosure. He has a hide overhang built into his “rock wall”, but he barely uses it and now I know why.

I read that beardies can’t process eating D3 they need to absorb it through their skin. Sound like I need to build him a new enclosure today. I already have wood to work with because I just finished building a second Cham enclosure. I really appreciate the help. I couldn’t sleep last night worrying about the dreaded MBD.

I don’t think it would be enough. How did you get the vents in the glass? If you’re able, maybe remove enough or all of the glass on top and make it screened.
I used hole cutting drill bits specifically for cutting glass. I thought about cutting a large rectangle from the top and covering it with screen.

I read that beardies can’t process eating D3 they need to absorb it through their skin.
IDK where you read that, but there's plenty of scientific evidence & studies that say they can, not to mention thousands of keepers.
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,33&q=bearded+dragon+d3&btnG=

See also the life's work of Dr Frances M. Baines, M.A. Vet.M.B. M.R.C.V.S.
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Frances-Baines
and
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm

To be clear, UVB is still the best way for beardies to synthesize D3 to process calcium & phosphorous, and avoid MBD, but in the absence of sufficient UVB, supplementation can help.

You can also ask on https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/index.php

IDK where you read that, but there's plenty of scientific evidence & studies that say they can, not to mention thousands of keepers.
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0,33&q=bearded+dragon+d3&btnG=

See also the life's work of Dr Frances M. Baines, M.A. Vet.M.B. M.R.C.V.S.
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Frances-Baines
and
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/index.htm

To be clear, UVB is still the best way for beardies to synthesize D3 to process calcium & phosphorous, and avoid MBD, but in the absence of sufficient UVB, supplementation can help.

You can also ask on https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/index.php
Thank you for the reference material! There are so many “experts” with conflicting information it gets confusing. I’m new to keeping reptiles. I trust this space and the info from it so I appreciate your knowledge.

Also, I ordered a UVB meter, with all my Chams and Luno it makes sense. I stress about UVB, just want to make sure they have what they need.

Also, I ordered a UVB meter, with all my Chams and Luno it makes sense. I stress about UVB, just want to make sure they have what they need.
That's great. IDK if you saw it, but here's a tip ...

I have my plant lights set for 12 hrs. on/12 hrs. off. At sunup & sundown, the sun has to penetrate a much thicker atmosphere, which filters out both heat and UVB, so I have basking & UVBs set to turn on an hour later, and turn off an hour earlier. This has an added effect of extending the life of a UVB bulb by approx. 2 months.

1626115523746.png

That's great. IDK if you saw it, but here's a tip ...

I have my plant lights set for 12 hrs. on/12 hrs. off. At sunup & sundown, the sun has to penetrate a much thicker atmosphere, which filters out both heat and UVB, so I have basking & UVBs set to turn on an hour later, and turn off an hour earlier. This has an added effect of extending the life of a UVB bulb by approx. 2 months.

1626115523746.png

Oh whoa! Thank you for sharing. Do you do this for your Chams and Beardies?

My guys day time temp setup until I fix the uvb situation on his setup. I ordered a new fixture that’s is thin. Going to add it inside of the enclosure. Thanks got your help.

Attachments

• 7BBBC457-8C2F-4C80-8668-15FC33FB50AA.jpeg
    7BBBC457-8C2F-4C80-8668-15FC33FB50AA.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom