Basking spot?

Is a basking temp of 94F okay for a year old male veiled? If not I will move it over a few inches ( vine slopes downward). Here are some pics of his temporary enclosure, UVB is coming tomorrow, my friend was borrowing it. I am going to pick up the new cage either tonight or tomorrow. I have a feeling it's gonna to be sick :D
DSC01276.jpg

And here's Leopold, being shy. He just got home so I'm going to leave him be for a few hours and feed him tonight.
DSC01277.jpg

is that your cage, its looks small for a year old chameleon. your feeders are going to escape.

what is the wattage of that lamp and how close is that vine to the lamp?

The wattage is a 100w regular house bulb, frosted, and it was about 7" above the vine but I moved it over a smidge so now it's about 10" above the vine and at around 85-90 (just turned lights out so not sure about the exact temp)

88 is what I keep mine on, my vield has 2 basking lights, but you really need to get a uvb, get a fresh bulb, don't get a used one.

88 is what I keep mine on, my vield has 2 basking lights, but you really need to get a uvb, get a fresh bulb, don't get a used one.

I know this? I have one, it's just not here at the moment. It is brand new, only used for a couple weeks. I had just recieved it when Molly passed.

what people dont seem to get is yemen(origin of the veiled chameleon) can get up to 105 degrees with humidity, making it 115-120

Congrats JustJumpit on the new guy ( wait this guy is new right????, sorry... i havent been on the forums much lately )

That cage is just fine as a temporary cage - a week or two. But if he is a big boy get him a 48 incher to boot and hell be happy as heck.

In S.A and Jordan - veileds can usually stand up to 100 degrees F. Without having to seek shade, and it being a desert - it can get very cold at night. <40. F.

But I would like to remind everyone that this is most likely a captive bred animal, which has not been conditioned to these extremes like any WC animal has. Thus while the species may be able to withstand such temperatures, a CB individual may have very different preferences.

That being said, I think that you should lower to basking spot by a few degrees- 100 F. is a tad too much in my humblest opinion. Shoot for 90-95. F basking, and hell be a happy lad.

No matter what the temps are, veileds love to sit and sun all day long, so best the temps be a little lower so he doesn't cook himself.

I would also suggest perhaps cutting your feeder cup a little, it looks a little too deep for the chameleon to spot food, or at least get to it easily. I would cut away 1/4th to 1/2 of what it currently is.

you could just come home one day and find him hanging on the ceiling of the cage directly under the light so its important to have not just the temps of your basking spot dialed in. there should be no where in the cage he can get to that exceeds his maximum safe temp, thats how burns happen, one reason i always recomend using the minimum wattage that will achieve the desired temps. what a cham in yemen does and needs is not the same as what a cham in captivity needs. a captive enviroment creates diiferent issues than a wild enviroment. jmo

Back
Top Bottom