Basking bulb burned out this morning

Hpyrok

Hi there,
I am headed to Petco at 9 for a new basking bulb. In the meantime, I set up a 60 watt bulb to supply warmth until I can get a new bulb. Diesel seems to be liking it. Looking at the photo, are there any concerns I should be aware of until I can get a new bulb installed in 1 hour? I hope the photo uploaded okay. image.jpg

Many people use regular (house-type) incandescent or halogen bulbs instead of basking bulbs. You only need the bulb to produce heat, so all you have to do is monitor the temperature in the cage/basking spot to be sure you are using the correct wattage bulb.

seriously, dont go spend 4X's as much at petco for a light bulb you can get for less than a dollar at wal mart. GO get a 60w incandescent bulb.

It is true that a regular household bulb of correct wattage is fine for supplying heat, but I can't tell from the picture if you have the required UVB producing blub to keep him healthy, and a 6500k bulb would help the plants and add visible light. Also, it's a little more natural to have the light sources coming from above, is there a reason the basking light is not on top? Please forgive if you have these, I just can't see them in the photo.

I have the 5.0 light in a deep dome on top of the Reptibreeze. I didn't put the added light on top due to the weight of it. It is a regular lamp from my daughter's room, it is a small based bulb that wouldn't fit in the dome. I also don't currently have a lamp stand to have it over the top. I am going to order a stand today mostly so I can set up the MistKing system.

But but it says its color correct for the lizards health and it has a picture of my lizard on it, it must be worth at least $25 vs the 6 pack at lowes for $10.

But but it says its color correct for the lizards health and it has a picture of my lizard on it, it must be worth at least $25 vs the 6 pack at lowes for $10.

Well, if it has a picture of your lizard on it, then it must be good! Advertising never lies! :D

Ditto to the OP. Save your money if you can and get either an old school incandescent or a halogen. Just remember that a lot of the bulbs are now LEDs and those don't put out enough heat to be used as basking lamps. Even the halogens are far more efficient than the old incandescents and put out far less heat.

I use the small oven / fridge bulbs: 25w for summer and 40w for winter. Might be hard to find, as there aren't any lizard pics on the package. :D

Back
Top Bottom