Possible humidity concern

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

So with building a larger enclosure, I of course added way more plants. And this in return has changed the dynamics of humidity for me. My chameleon won't be here until Wednesday, but I am hoping to either have a solution, or lay my concern to rest before he even gets here. When I installed the misting system a couple days ago, I had to use it while setting it up to see where it was spraying. So the plants were pretty wet. I noticed that the humidity hasn't really gone down at all in the very center, or the bottom back left side of the cage. So I've disconnected the misting system for now until I can gauge what's going on. The basking area looks perfect to me.

The 2 areas that have multiple temps/humidity % have more than 1 sensor, so I am providing the info from both. These numbers were just recorded a few moments ago. At night everything seems fine as it doesn't look like I'll have any issue raising humidity at night. I am only really concerned for day time humidity right now.

The temps being in the 70s lower in the enclosure seems good to me. I just included those for reference to the humidity.

I'm worried that despite being dry, this enclosure will be providing too much humidity during the day. What I think I can do to help, is run the ceiling fan in the bedroom (already planning to do this at night).

We are keeping our thermostat for our home at 73f during the day, and 71f at night.

Would I possibly benefit from adding a second basking light at the opposite end of the enclosure? Or perhaps the middle? I would keep it set lower, but my reasoning for this would be to raise the temps to hopefully lower the humidity more in those areas. My concern with that is it may not even reach those areas considering it would be at the top of the enclosure.

Do I have a cause for concern here? Or should this be okay as long as I stick to the typical misting schedule of half hour before lights on, and half hour after lights off? (planning to start out with misting for 60 seconds each time, then running my fogger from 1-6am, with the ceiling fan on.).

Attachments

• 20230718_193427.jpg
    20230718_193427.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 66
What are the humidity levels specifically? And remind us what kind of chameleon you are going to put in your enclosure.

What are the humidity levels specifically? And remind us what kind of chameleon you are going to put in your enclosure.
Of course I forgot the most important piece of information lol. He's a panther chameleon.

I'm not sure what you mean about specific humidity levels. Do you mean ambient humidity in my home? The humidity levels I posted in the pic are exactly what my sensors say.

So in basking area it's in the 40s-50s. In the center and towards the bottom they're in the 70s

Of course I forgot the most important piece of information lol. He's a panther chameleon.

I'm not sure what you mean about specific humidity levels. Do you mean ambient humidity in my home? The humidity levels I posted in the pic are exactly what my sensors say.

So in basking area it's in the 40s-50s. In the center and towards the bottom they're in the 70s
Oh I missed that picture somehow.

With the ceiling fan - why are you running it at night? I would be careful with using a ceiling fan at all as it can cause stress in chameleons. Its something overhead that is moving...I think a lot of them may think its a predator.

How close are the censors to your potted plants? I know you'll have humidity pockets in the enclosure, but I'm curious if you were to move them a little further away what they would read.

You could try to decrease your misting sessions to see if that helps as well. I can't mist as long as others do due to increased humidity in my enclosures all day as well.

I have had great success using small fans on the bottom of my enclosures to help move the air and dry the enclosure out during the day. Lots of people use computer fans for example.

Just some thoughts, might be helpful, might not...

Hi what type of sensors are you using just curious, are they data loggers .

Hi what type of sensors are you using just curious, are they data loggers .
I am using 3 of these and I have a wired probe thermometer/hygrometer in the center as well

SwitchBot IP65 Indoor Outdoor Hygrometer Thermometer Wireless 3Packs, 394ft Bluetooth Range, Refrigerator Thermometer, Dewpoint/VPD/Absolute Humidity Sensor, 2-Year Battery Life, Free Data Storage https://a.co/d/efTg4mi

With the ceiling fan - why are you running it at night? I would be careful with using a ceiling fan at all as it can cause stress in chameleons. Its something overhead that is moving...I think a lot of them may think its a predator.

How close are the censors to your potted plants? I know you'll have humidity pockets in the enclosure, but I'm curious if you were to move them a little further away what they would read.

You could try to decrease your misting sessions to see if that helps as well. I can't mist as long as others do due to increased humidity in my enclosures all day as well.

I have had great success using small fans on the bottom of my enclosures to help move the air and dry the enclosure out during the day. Lots of people use computer fans for example.

Just some thoughts, might be helpful, might not...
Well I never ran the fan before. But based on what I read on chameleon academy it sounds like that would be a good idea to do l, especially since I will be running a fogger at night. My thoughts behind using it during the day is to help move air more so it's not stagnant. The sensors are very close to plants. When I get home I'll move them further away and see what happens!

Edit: I also haven't misted in almost 2 days to see if the humidity would go down but it didn't. That's why I'm concerned

This is what you want... They are gradients in the cage... Mine runs the same 10-15% higher the lower you go. But sits at 40% at basking.

He will move in and out of the gradients. Then at night when temps drop your lower levels in the cage are going to reach higher gradients naturally which is also what you want. Most chams move down to sleep so they end up in these higher levels.

You need to be testing everything right now with everything going. including your mister... No second basking fixture is needed. You want a warm side and cooler so he can regulate temps.

This is what you want... They are gradients in the cage... Mine runs the same 10-15% higher the lower you go. But sits at 40% at basking.

He will move in and out of the gradients. Then at night when temps drop your lower levels in the cage are going to reach higher gradients naturally which is also what you want. Most chams move down to sleep so they end up in these higher levels.

You need to be testing everything right now with everything going. including your mister... No second basking fixture is needed. You want a warm side and cooler so he can regulate temps.
Ok I was hoping for a response like this 🤣 because I feel everything is right. I just want to be sure and I felt maybe it was a bit high. Thank you

Hi was asking if you had data logging to see if the numbers where consistent figures, or whether you had highs and lows ,

Small mouth or large mouth bass?
Largmouth usually. there is literally 1 place in south jersey that actually has smallies and they're not always easy to find in there. I've only caught 2 in the last few years and they were dinks lol It's almost all largemouth here

Do any of you catch muskies? Pike?
Aurora trout?
there are some muskies here but I dont fish for them. I believe they're really only in the tidal water here. With exception to 1 lake (which coincidentally is also the same lake that has smallies). That lake also has tidal access. No northern pike here. Just pickerel

Small mouth bass prefer cooler waters so I guess the further south you go, the less you’ll find.
there are some muskies here but I dont fish for them. I believe they're really only in the tidal water here. With exception to 1 lake (which coincidentally is also the same lake that has smallies). That lake also has tidal access. No northern pike here. Just pickerel
Why don’t you fish for muskies?
Good that there are no pike in the lake where the muskies are…muskies spawn before pike and so the pike eat the baby Muskies and soon there are no Muskies in the lake with the pike anymore. Sad…cause Muskies are a better tasting fish IMHO.

Smallmouth bass are good fighters When you’re trying to catch them.
Fun when your in a canoe!

Small mouth bass prefer cooler waters so I guess the further south you go, the less you’ll find.

Why don’t you fish for muskies?
Good that there are no pike in the lake where the muskies are…muskies spawn before pike and so the pike eat the baby Muskies and soon there are no Muskies in the lake with the pike anymore. Sad…cause Muskies are a better tasting fish IMHO.
I used to fish for a much more broad variety of fish. Used to saltwater fish, even. But honestly bass fishing has completely consumed me. I've just really gotten into learning about it, getting the presentations down, and the whole challenge of it. Bass fishing in south jersey can be rough lol But it's just something that I love doing. With that being said if I happen to snag a muskie I will thoroughly enjoy that lmao

I have actually hooked one last year. It was pretty nuts on my bass gear lol. But he spit the hook after a few seconds or so. He hit the lure right by my kayak and it was an awkward moment for me to set the hook. Didn't really get it set well. I got a real good look at him though. He was probably damn hear half the size of my kayak

Back
Top Bottom