Baby melleri!!!

This is an unusual time for them to hatch. My melleri eggs incubated at room temperature, less than 75F and no cooler than 65F. I kept the eggs in a sealed plastic container, with some pin holes, and use coir as an incubating media. I kept things on the dryish side, with enough moisture to form the slightest bit of fine condensation in places, but not dripping from the lid of the container.

How long have the been incubating and at what temps? If they have been incubating at warmer temps, I’d lightly mist the eggs to rinse them off and place them in a new incubation bin, with new media, and lower the temps to no more than 76-78F and hope that they develop a little stronger and can hatch themselves out.
Usually hatching motivates other to hatch and if they are on the weaker side, you don’t want that. Better to incubate at moderate temps, for the strongest babies.

Feel free to PM if I can offer any assistance. I’m sorry you having trouble, but this is still a step forward and there’s lots of opportunity to perfect things.

71 to 75, 144 days before hatching..
moist vermiculite but not too moist, don't have hole in the container, might be one of the problem..

this is unusual time for them to hatch.. I know.. do you think atmospheric pressure can be one part of the problem? they were not suppose to but my female laying the eggs in august :/

I wish I had more answers. The atmospheric pressure may be triggering the hatch, but wouldn’t harm them. Put them in something ventilated, keep the lightly moist and keep temps UP 76-78 and see if warmth gives them the energy to hatch.

I wish I had more answers. The atmospheric pressure may be triggering the hatch, but wouldn’t harm them. Put them in something ventilated, keep the lightly moist and keep temps UP 76-78 and see if warmth gives them the energy to hatch.
still 7 eggs are good.. too far.. 10 hatched on 40.. so 10 hatched.. 3 are in survival mode (out of the eggs with my intervention, absorbing the yolk) and 7 are still in eggs. so I will raise the temperatures of the incubator of 1-2 degree

it look like if the shell is too strong for them.. (in fact the shell is actually really strong..really well calcified)

So morning report :
-9 are in good shape, inside my enclosure with water and food ( I catch one drinking and eating so I figure they enjoying the food)
-1 with the other but she haven't absorbed all the yolk sac (but absorbed a part) let see if she still can make it
-2 are in the incubator trying to absorb the yolk part but outside the eggs.. (I cut the shell.. it work for some.. so if I can same some.. why not because for now they all stocked in eggs
-1 egg started to sweat this morning.. I give about 12 hours to cut it
-6 eggs are still ok not sweating

I chill out.. for my first melleri cluch this is not a total disaster..

Enjoy about this little but picture :p
IMG_5178.JPG
IMG_5179.JPG

So morning report :
-9 are in good shape, inside my enclosure with water and food ( I catch one drinking and eating so I figure they enjoying the food)
-1 with the other but she haven't absorbed all the yolk sac (but absorbed a part) let see if she still can make it
-2 are in the incubator trying to absorb the yolk part but outside the eggs.. (I cut the shell.. it work for some.. so if I can same some.. why not because for now they all stocked in eggs
-1 egg started to sweat this morning.. I give about 12 hours to cut it
-6 eggs are still ok not sweating

I chill out.. for my first melleri cluch this is not a total disaster..

Enjoy about this little but picture :p View attachment 197236View attachment 197237
I love your baby setup!!! I agree with @Fireborn, at least some of them hatched. The babies are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!! Happy Chameleon Keeping, and Happy New Year!!! :):p:D:p:D:)

Coir? Should I use this instead of vermiculite? Some advantages? Hand mist the eggs? Directly? This is not harmful too the eggs? Thank you! ;) my female are aged also, could this be a problem?

Don't be too hard on yourself, I know its frustrating when we try everything we can to provide for the animals and things still don't work out as we had hoped. I've had an egg hatch over a month later than it's sibling eggs from the same clutch. Hang in there!

I think I may have hypothesis.. maybe my female got a bit too much of calcium? my eggs were really white with strong shell.. and she took about less than a day (well.. less than 2 hours..) to recovery theses eggs are hard to cut with a sharpened knife.. this is my first fertiles eggs but is this possible? I gut load and dust with calcium 1 time a week (when I don't forget) and they alway got the white rejection part? any other hypothesis, should I cut the dusting?

You said...,"my eggs were really white with strong shell" and "theses eggs are hard to cut with a sharpened knife"..... IMHO your eggs looked fine...the way good healthy eggs should look and in my experience eggs are often hard to cut with a knife...not that I've done that a lot thank goodness.

You said..."gutload and dust with calcium 1 time a week (when I don't forget) and they alway got the white rejection part?" ...what do you mean by white rejection? I wouldn't dust any less than that with calcium.

You said...,"my eggs were really white with strong shell" and "theses eggs are hard to cut with a sharpened knife"..... IMHO your eggs looked fine...the way good healthy eggs should look and in my experience eggs are often hard to cut with a knife...not that I've done that a lot thank goodness.

You said..."gutload and dust with calcium 1 time a week (when I don't forget) and they alway got the white rejection part?" ...what do you mean by white rejection? I wouldn't dust any less than that with calcium.

Ho! this is my first eggs so I didn't know this was suppose to be that hard! so good to know! :)

warning graphic poop content : IMG_4744.JPG

the over calcium theory was submitted by one of my friend, not possible?

http://www.adcham.com/images/images-species/Ch.chameleon/cceggs.jpg
Some of my eggs...do they look as white and solid to you?

These were c. chamaeleon eggs and they all hatched. The babies did well and the WC adults were with me for a number of years so I don't think it was a case of too much calcium.

I don't know for certain that eggs can't have too much calcium in the shells so they are thicker...I'm not a vet....sorry.

Last edited:
http://www.adcham.com/images/images-species/Ch.chameleon/cceggs.jpg
Some of my eggs...do they look as white and solid to you?

These were c. chamaeleon eggs and they all hatched. The babies did well and the WC adults were with me for a number of years so I don't think it was a case of too much calcium.

I don't know for certain that eggs can't have too much calcium in the shells so they are thicker...I'm not a vet....sorry.

Dont know probably put the picture are small.. well maybe calcium not the issue.. I should start with another guess :/

So small uptake : 14 baby born with my help (the shell was way to hard to be cut.. and I still don't know why) Baby doing good! all drinking, eating, pooping and doing melleri stuff like having attitude and being cute! I really wish too found the reason of my.. shielded shell for the next year but for now I am super happy to get those little monsters! :)

So enjoy a bit of cuteness! :

All right! so little update : all my 15 baby are still alive, they are really cute, look healthy and gained weight! so 15/15 after 3 week sound good too me! i was concerned because they are my first baby ever but seem than im doing good (maybe! :) )

Attachments

• WIN_20180116_18_41_57_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20180116_18_41_57_Pro.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 122
All right! so little update : all my 15 baby are still alive, they are really cute, look healthy and gained weight! so 15/15 after 3 week sound good too me! i was concerned because they are my first baby ever but seem than im doing good (maybe! :) )
They look adorable!!! I love melleri babies!

Back
Top Bottom