Baby chameleon sleeping during the day

CrazyMango

Ok so whenever I peek into the room that he is in, he is asleep. but whenever I go into the room, he wakes up and starts watching me. This is during the daytime. All advice requested.

Is he always asleep when you check during the day? If he is, that seems like a lot and there might be a problem.

so I will be able to post the pictures of his lights in the terrarium but it might be a day before I am able to. Whenever I peek around the corner he seems to be sleeping or at least closing his eyes. He seems pretty healthy.

so I will be able to post the pictures of his lights in the terrarium but it might be a day before I am able to. Whenever I peek around the corner he seems to be sleeping or at least closing his eyes. He seems pretty healthy.
Chameleons are very good at hiding when something is wrong and if he is sleeping during the day it is not normal he wakes up when you come in because he's making sure your not going to hurt him mine does that to if he sees me while going to sleep he could be stressed

too strong or non existent/wrong type...
I currently actually have the wrong type of UVB, but I am about to get(in shipping) a T8 24" light hood fixture, with a 5.0 UVB/UVA bulb. Because I have the wrong fixture, I am feeding him calcium with vitamin d3 twice a week, while feeding him multivitamins every 2 weeks. Since he's a baby, I lightly dust his crickets with calcium without D3 once a day. He also sometimes gets mealworms as treats, and his poop seems to be fine, and he poops regularly.

Ok Good on you for getting the correct uvb but you shouldn't feed mealworms maybe switch them for hornworms but your feeding him to much d3 once every other week is when you should dust calcium with d3 it would still be helpful to see to full enclosure

I currently actually have the wrong type of UVB, but I am about to get(in shipping) a T8 24" light hood fixture, with a 5.0 UVB/UVA bulb. Because I have the wrong fixture, I am feeding him calcium with vitamin d3 twice a week, while feeding him multivitamins every 2 weeks. Since he's a baby, I lightly dust his crickets with calcium without D3 once a day. He also sometimes gets mealworms as treats, and his poop seems to be fine, and he poops regularly.
Ok so with the T8 fixture you have to have the 10.0 bulb because T8's do not push the UVB as far. So you need to get the 10.0 bulb for it and then basking would be about 5-6 inches below the UVB that sits on top of the cage. This is really important or you will be back to providing no uvb again.

As stated dusting with extra calcium with D3 is a good way to overdose him. This causes its own issues because it is fat soluble. So you ONLY want to dust calcium with D3 two times a month and the multivitamin needs to be without D3 and used two times a month. These two get rotated week to week at one feeding. Then at all other feedings you use the Calcium without D3.

Mealworms are a less then ideal feeder...

It would be helpful if you would post pics of the entire enclosure lights down and of the chameleon.

-I don't know the age or sex, and he is about 3 or 4 months
-I handle him about once per week.
-I feed him about 5 dusted crickets 2wice a day. I gut load and hydrate my crickets once a day for 24 hours with orange cubes from fluker and the hydrate from fluker.
-I use multivitamins and calcium with D3 and calcium without D3
-I mist him twice a day and provide a dripper once a day for about 20 minutes.
-his feces are black and white, and seem okay.
-he came from PetSmart as a baby

Cage Info:
-my cage is a reptibreeze x-large 4'x2'x2' screen.
-I informed that my lights will be fixed but right now he has two UVB bulbs 5.0 around the tank, and a 75 watt heat bulb that is about 3-4" away from the top since he is a baby and tends to climb on the top of his screen.
-the lowest temp in the night time is around 65 degrees. His basking bulb is about 85 degrees, and his daytime temp is around 70-73 degrees.
-it is about 30-50 percent humidity in the daytime, and at night around 60 percent humidity.
- i am not using live plants.
- my cage location is on the bottom floor and is not exposed to direct sunlight or drafts.
-I am in virginia, where it gets pretty cold in the winter sometimes.

@CrazyMango Please post pictures of the enclosure as well. See my feedback in red bold.

-I don't know the age or sex, and he is about 3 or 4 months
-I handle him about once per week.
-I feed him about 5 dusted crickets 2wice a day. I gut load and hydrate my crickets once a day for 24 hours with orange cubes from fluker and the hydrate from fluker. This is not a good gutload it only hydrates and that is it. See gutloading image for fresh and commercial products.
-I use multivitamins and calcium with D3 and calcium without D3 what is your schedule for using these and which ones are you using? Please take picture of supplement containers.
-I mist him twice a day and provide a dripper once a day for about 20 minutes. How long are you misting for? Are you spraying plants? Chameleon should not be sprayed directly.
-his feces are black and white, and seem okay.
-he came from PetSmart as a baby

Cage Info:
-my cage is a reptibreeze x-large 4'x2'x2' screen.
-I informed that my lights will be fixed but right now he has two UVB bulbs 5.0 around the tank, and a 75 watt heat bulb that is about 3-4" away from the top since he is a baby and tends to climb on the top of his screen. Lighting needs to be corrected if it has not been yet. This is extremely important.
-the lowest temp in the night time is around 65 degrees. His basking bulb is about 85 degrees, and his daytime temp is around 70-73 degrees. How are you checking basking temps? Really should be more like 80-82... 85 would be a max temp.
-it is about 30-50 percent humidity in the daytime, and at night around 60 percent humidity.
- i am not using live plants. Live plants are especially important for Veiled chameleons. They will eat fake plants so it is dangerous. See this link for Veiled tested plants. use those ones. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
- my cage location is on the bottom floor and is not exposed to direct sunlight or drafts.
-I am in virginia, where it gets pretty cold in the winter sometimes.

Some additional resources:
https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

chameleon-food(1).jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg

Back
Top Bottom