Basking colors to Green when I enter the room... sign of being receptive???

Steve A

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I've noticed the last few days that whenever I go into the room while he's basking, black/grey/white, that Spike immediately starts showing a good amount of green in his colors. Is this a specific sign of him being receptive towards me? It's definitely happening as he sees me. If I look at him through the crack of the door before he sees me, the difference in color is quite noticeable once he sees me. I'm gonna go try to hand feed him real quick since I am home today :)

lol your post confused me at first. We use the word receptive with females and their egg laying cycle. I was like huh. lol
I need more coffee....

If he is walking towards you then yes maybe. Could also just be a color change due to him seeing the movement of a large person and it startles him a bit at first. Basking colors are going to be darker because they are absorbing the heat.

lol your post confused me at first. We use the word receptive with females and their egg laying cycle. I was like huh. lol
I need more coffee....

If he is walking towards you then yes maybe. Could also just be a color change due to him seeing the movement of a large person and it startles him a bit at first. Basking colors are going to be darker because they are absorbing the heat.

Sorry lol I mean like being acceptive of me. I understand his basking colors. Im just trying to figure out the rest. Im assuming its not the same with all the different panthers from different locales, since the colors are different to begin witn. He wouldn't eat from me but I may have also been interrupting his basking lol. He let me take a couple shots

He definitely wasn't walking towards me. He sat there and he was a little stand offish even when offering a small silk, and then a BSFL. He was kinda shaking back and forth rather fast after a bit as if he was gonna retreat so I slowly backed away. I'll try another day :)

Attachments

• 20230831_115439.jpg
    20230831_115439.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230831_115434.jpg
    20230831_115434.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 36
Sorry lol I mean like being acceptive of me. I understand his basking colors. Im just trying to figure out the rest. Im assuming its not the same with all the different panthers from different locales, since the colors are different to begin witn. He wouldn't eat from me but I may have also been interrupting his basking lol. He let me take a couple shots

He definitely wasn't walking towards me. He sat there and he was a little stand offish even when offering a small silk, and then a BSFL. He was kinda shaking back and forth rather fast after a bit as if he was gonna retreat so I slowly backed away. I'll try another day :)
So sounds like more of a startled response. Where is he in your home?

So sounds like more of a startled response. Where is he in your home?
My son's room. Its the most quite and least used room, really. There's only 3 of us, Spike, and our dog Leia. But she doesn't really go in there either.

My son's room. Its the most quite and least used room, really. There's only 3 of us, Spike, and our dog Leia. But she doesn't really go in there either.
So I do things differently with my chams... I let them see me and watch me. They become accustomed to my presence that way.
So I have always had mine in my office area so they literally can stalk me all day while I work. This helped so that they do not get panicked by me walking around etc.
Even if you just go in there to read a book or something start making your presence more known in a non threatening way. Sitting there doing something so he can watch you.

So I do things differently with my chams... I let them see me and watch me. They become accustomed to my presence that way.
So I have always had mine in my office area so they literally can stalk me all day while I work. This helped so that they do not get panicked by me walking around etc.
Even if you just go in there to read a book or something start making your presence more known in a non threatening way. Sitting there doing something so he can watch you.
Ah ok. Well to be honest I AM in there a lot when I am home... lol. Simply because I'm handling his feeding/cleaning, etc and of course I'm new keeper that finds it hard to just leave him alone (I do give him his space when I am home though! Promise lol). When I check on temps/humidity I have to be right there as well because my sensors are not wifi, they're just bluetooth.

My son goes in there a lot but he doesn't seem to care about him. My wife is in there in the mornings mostly getting our son ready and then here or there. So it's not like no one ever goes in there (I should have explained this better). It's just more of the area where he can mostly have his space. It's also the only room out dog does not frequent. Which IMO is super important. She will never do anything to him but I think he would freak out if she were to hang out in there lol

I am also trying to slowly get closer to him in general. I can really only try to hand feed him during the weekends because it's too early before work and too late after. But I can try to increase our presence a little more than we are. Maybe Just kinda hang out in there with him for a bit here or there.

Ah ok. Well to be honest I AM in there a lot when I am home... lol. Simply because I'm handling his feeding/cleaning, etc and of course I'm new keeper that finds it hard to just leave him alone (I do give him his space when I am home though! Promise lol). When I check on temps/humidity I have to be right there as well because my sensors are not wifi, they're just bluetooth.

My son goes in there a lot but he doesn't seem to care about him. My wife is in there in the mornings mostly getting our son ready and then here or there. So it's not like no one ever goes in there (I should have explained this better). It's just more of the area where he can mostly have his space. It's also the only room out dog does not frequent. Which IMO is super important. She will never do anything to him but I think he would freak out if she were to hang out in there lol

I am also trying to slowly get closer to him in general. I can really only try to hand feed him during the weekends because it's too early before work and too late after. But I can try to increase our presence a little more than we are. Maybe Just kinda hang out in there with him for a bit here or there.
Yeah the key is just hanging out in there. Not doing anything to his cage. So you are then totally non threatening. Your son is still little so he probably does not pay him any mind lol. Not a threat because he is so little.

Yeah the key is just hanging out in there. Not doing anything to his cage. So you are then totally non threatening. Your son is still little so he probably does not pay him any mind lol. Not a threat because he is so little.
I'll try to do more of that :)

Back
Top Bottom