As a new keeper

krikinit

Chameleon Enthusiast
So Ive been thinking about this for a while. As a new keeper, what can I (we, if you want to be included) do to help our Chameleon community. I often get caught up in my daily humdrum that I dont look past my own cham. With some boarders not allowing exports would it be more beneficial to take on a species that may not be as established in our captive breeding programs and im not advocating me taking on a WC, more buy a cbb. maybe a school age educational outreach. These are just a few ideas that Ive had. Post your ideas and lets start a conversation to help our community.

As a new keeper, one thing I liked doing was to just spreading the basic info for other new keepers. It freed up time for the more advanced keepers that are tired of saying the same thing, over and over, and allows them to focus on the more in depth subjects.
This would be my role... The basics lol leave the rest for all y'all that have the major knowledge!

Well I wouldn't say this would be a new keeper task to take on, but I have thought that down the road I'd like to breed a less common species like you mentioned. I like the idea of adding to the CB population of something that is mostly WC.
Thats kinda what i was thinking. Thats a project a few years away, probably much longer. I really like parsons but ill have to improve my horticulture skills, and a greenhouse seems a bit daunting right now.

I did the care images to help the forum members. It was a 3 month project but it was worth it. With the traffic of new members and the guests that are just reading through info this was a good way for me to use my skills with graphic layout to help others. So I like your thought process. :)
Love the images and care sheets! Thanks for all the hard work. The only computer i was good with was playstation and atari! Give me your disgruntled dog or bird and I can help there, dont ask for computer help.

I wouldn't take this on yet as a new keeper but I would start doing my research, look for a species, find a mentor, make contacts with keepers of that species. Learn all you can.
Definitely not trying to rush into breeding. The idea of 20 plus chams hatching out seems like a pain. A joyful one but still. I have 2 toddlers right now, all the babies i need right now. I bread bob white quail for 10 years. Hatched 1000 at a time. Nightmare. They wake up and say " how can i die today". It was a steep learning curve. I eventually figured out how to get them to sit and hatch their own eggs. Thats the last time i rushed into breeding. Wont make that mistake again. @Matt Vanilla Gorilla has been a great help in connecting me to a bioactive guy. Also your jacksonii are quite lovely and I try to read where you contribute as much as i can. I do value what you have to say.

Definitely not trying to rush into breeding. The idea of 20 plus chams hatching out seems like a pain. A joyful one but still. I have 2 toddlers right now, all the babies i need right now. I bread bob white quail for 10 years. Hatched 1000 at a time. Nightmare. They wake up and say " how can i die today". It was a steep learning curve. I eventually figured out how to get them to sit and hatch their own eggs. Thats the last time i rushed into breeding. Wont make that mistake again. @Matt Vanilla Gorilla has been a great help in connecting me to a bioactive guy. Also your jacksonii are quite lovely and I try to read where you contribute as much as i can. I do value what you have to say.

Guess I know nothing about bio :unsure:

Back
Top Bottom