As a new keeper

Attachments

• Angry Walter 30052019101105.jpg
    Angry Walter 30052019101105.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 83
@GoodKarma19 here is a baby pigeon that hatched yesterday. sorry about the quality. Moma bird wasnt happy with me.

Eeeeee! I love them!! :D I really miss having baby birds around the house. My last rearing adventure was two years ago, when I took in Benny the starling. None of the rehab centers would take her, since she's an invasive species, and I just didn't have the heart to euthanize her. Since she was so young when she was dropped off at the clinic (less than a week), she's human imprinted and not releasable.

I appreciate the mentions @jamest0o0 and @krikinit! I consider myself a novice in this hobby, but I'm a researcher at heart and am always eager to learn and grow, and teach those willing to be taught. :)

Eeeeee! I love them!! :D I really miss having baby birds around the house. My last rearing adventure was two years ago, when I took in Benny the starling. None of the rehab centers would take her, since she's an invasive species, and I just didn't have the heart to euthanize her. Since she was so young when she was dropped off at the clinic (less than a week), she's human imprinted and not releasable.

I appreciate the mentions @jamest0o0 and @krikinit! I consider myself a novice in this hobby, but I'm a researcher at heart and am always eager to learn and grow, and teach those willing to be taught. :)
And that’s why we love you :love: :coffee:

Im hoping to breed cooper hawks next spring. It didnt happen this year. They didnt want to and I wasnt going to try AI. I raised a day 1 imprint a few years back and I loved it! After that its a Harris Hawks x Cooper hawk hybrid I want to breed. Need the imprint female coop first! Hoping for a big cooper of sorts. Just want the harris personality. NatGeo did a study in Rome about starlings. They say that the birds somehow link to 7 others around them inflight to keep proper distance when flying in a large murmuration.

Im hoping to breed cooper hawks next spring. It didnt happen this year. They didnt want to and I wasnt going to try AI. I raised a day 1 imprint a few years back and I loved it! After that its a Harris Hawks x Cooper hawk hybrid I want to breed. Need the imprint female coop first! Hoping for a big cooper of sorts. Just want the harris personality. NatGeo did a study in Rome about starlings. They say that the birds somehow link to 7 others around them inflight to keep proper distance when flying in a large murmuration.

Raising day 1 imprints of any species is a very special experience! Most of my experience is with hookbills, but I've done a lot of work with perching bird species recently. It's an incredible thing!

Keep me posted on your breeding adventures! I wish I had the time and room to get into breeding. I have a massive soft spot for cockatiels, and there are lots of interesting color morphs out there to play with. My little Athena (cinnamon, low pied) has an amazing personality and solid genetics, and would have fabulous babies!

I've heard of the studies on murmurations! Benny's a joy to watch when she's flying around. Her spacial awareness is incredible! She'll buzz around my head and spin around the walls and furniture, and can turn on a dime. She's so fast, yet never runs into anything no matter how close she gets. Except for that one time with the window when she was a crazy juvenile... :rolleyes:

Raising day 1 imprints of any species is a very special experience! Most of my experience is with hookbills, but I've done a lot of work with perching bird species recently. It's an incredible thing!

Keep me posted on your breeding adventures! I wish I had the time and room to get into breeding. I have a massive soft spot for cockatiels, and there are lots of interesting color morphs out there to play with. My little Athena (cinnamon, low pied) has an amazing personality and solid genetics, and would have fabulous babies!

I've heard of the studies on murmurations! Benny's a joy to watch when she's flying around. Her spacial awareness is incredible! She'll buzz around my head and spin around the walls and furniture, and can turn on a dime. She's so fast, yet never runs into anything no matter how close she gets. Except for that one time with the window when she was a crazy juvenile... :rolleyes:
I had kept a few starlings. Put them in a large aviary. They found their way out in about 10 minutes. Clever birds.

So Ive been thinking about this for a while. As a new keeper, what can I (we, if you want to be included) do to help our Chameleon community. I often get caught up in my daily humdrum that I dont look past my own cham. With some boarders not allowing exports would it be more beneficial to take on a species that may not be as established in our captive breeding programs and im not advocating me taking on a WC, more buy a cbb. maybe a school age educational outreach. These are just a few ideas that Ive had. Post your ideas and lets start a conversation to help our community.

I think mentors would be cool. Like a chameleons anonymous sponsor.

I had kept a few starlings. Put them in a large aviary. They found their way out in about 10 minutes. Clever birds.

Their intelligence makes them very trainable! We're working on reinforcing her recall right now. She's very distractable, though, so it's been slow going! Her targeting is generally pretty good at least, and she steps up well (staying is another matter, haha!).

I really want to give Benny more space, but at least she gets regular free flight time. Her current enclosure is 4x2x4. She knows how to get out if I don't lock it up properly, haha! I'd like to have a larger enclosure built for her at some point, when I have more space.

Their intelligence makes them very trainable! We're working on reinforcing her recall right now. She's very distractable, though, so it's been slow going! Her targeting is generally pretty good at least, and she steps up well (staying is another matter, haha!).

I really want to give Benny more space, but at least she gets regular free flight time. Her current enclosure is 4x2x4. She knows how to get out if I don't lock it up properly, haha! I'd like to have a larger enclosure built for her at some point, when I have more space.
Sounds like great fun and a stimulating challenge. Do you manage her weight at all? Imprint raptors are funny about food. Cant lower weight as much as a wild caught raptor. Builds resentment and screaming if you dont do it right.

Yea in a way we've all got something to learn, I in no way am a mentor but I try to give advice to anyone who needs it, since Apollo is really my 2nd chameleon I consider myself a rookie lol but if anyone ever needs help I'm always here to offer it, also speaking of birds we saw baby osprey in a nesting box the state put up for them! Pretty cool! Sorry for the bad quality 0601190938.jpg

Like as a new member I am worried that everything I do or don’t do is gonna cause my babies to be ill. My first experience with a chameleon was being given two that were dying and the person didn’t want them.
Seriously I am stressed.
I woke up this morning and Betty is a different color and Terry is not finishing his shed well and I’m a mess.
I need a support group for new moms.
My worst mistakes have been from over worrying. I didn’t see it drinking so I overdid water and bought a friggin fountain. I hover . My vet recommended daily baths. My VET. I only trust you guys on here. I have to hear from someone that’s not a new mom.
Who wants to be my sponsor lol?

Back
Top Bottom