Anyone have this one?

I wouldnt set one up like that though, looks like fatal burns waiting to happen!

p.s id say the framework is just plastic, screen is probably similar to exo-terra flexarium mesh, soft stuff.

p.p.s it probably zips open along the framework. might be handy as a standby cage whilst cleaning the real enclosure or for sunning outdoors.

From what I've heard they're better for temporary enclosures for taking your chameleons outside. I was thinking of getting the next size down for the summer. Looks a lot like the flexariums, but I believe this one has a finer mesh.

Your answers were basically exactly what I was thinking. Figured I would check before I totally ruled it out though. I def. like the looks of the cage I have much better.

I wish they would make one that had a super sturdy top for lights and drippers.

Why don't you buy a screen cage. Like one of these. All you need is a Phillips Screwdriver, which is the one that looks like an addition sign. :D

http://www.flchams.com/cages.asp
I already have one. :) Just looking for additional enclosures for a reasonable price. I will most likely just get them from lllreptiles. Just noticed they had that one on sale, and I didn't know anything about it. Figured it was junk, but thought I would check around first.

mesh cage.

I have always used screen but I heard these mesh work well also and do not bend or dent like screen. Dustin.

Oh ok. I've heard of people using them, but I've never seen one. Except one, and it was a zipping one. And my friend bought it from LLLReptile. So, I guess they work ok, but I'd rather the Screen Cage.

I've used a lot of these cages over the years. In fact, my setup in the lab is comprised entirely of this type of enclosure at a smaller size. I also have a 260 gallon although I'm not currently using it. This type of cage has advantages and disadvantages.

Pros:
- Light weight, easy to store, pack, ship and move around.
- Inexpensive (not a disaster to buy or replace)
- If you want a cage that size, you are going to be hard pressed to find another especially for the price and weight.
- The dark mesh screen is nice because the animal has a harder time looking out so shy animals feel more secure.
- Mesh is loose so animal's nails don't get torn out.

Cons:
- Difficult to see into.
- Crickets will eventually eat holes into the mesh sides (not been a huge issue for me.
- Can seem flimsy due to their light weight design.
- Over time the zippers can be problematic.

The frame is a PVC pipe frame and the mesh is lose and flexible. I've never had an issue in all the years and dozens of cages I've had with the mesh melting.

Chris

I hated them on general principal for years - then I just got some. Very good for temp cages, you can put them away easily, and they dont damage like screen.

They're good for permanant cages as well, especially montanes, as the light going into the cage is less than a screen cage - veiled sand othe rbasking-types seem to prefer more light.

I love them for doing my little presentations - so much easier than breaking down screen cages. Plus, they're not as rough on claws as screen cages are (never had a claw torn out on one yet)

I use several and have for several years-no problems at all. The cricket chew holes can be fixed with fishing line. The 260 is a really large cage, so be prepared for the amount of room it will take up.

And you can throw the mesh in the washing machine! I found that the UV bulb may fade the black mesh a bit, but it doesn't damage it. I prop my UV lights on top and clamp my clamp light for basking to the edge. Works great!

And you can throw the mesh in the washing machine!
Never thought about that aspect! That would be a bonus. I think my biggest problem would be that the tops I wouldn't figure are very sturdy to put lights and drippers on. I think they might make decent temp. cages, or for travel.

I only have one of the smaller ones - like others said, I first got it so I could take the cham outside, and we have considered using it for travel, though we have never quite gotten to vacationing with the chameleon yet. I also used it for the first few months I had my panther, until he got big enough for me to turn him loose to free range on his plants and vines. The one I have has a removable plastic insert for the bottom three inches or so, to keep water from spilling about everywhere.

I have used nothing but mesh flexariums or whatever they are called. And have had all but one problem drainage! It took me a while but i finally had a custom made 2'x2'x2' plexi glass drainage system and a wide enough table or base for it to sit on. I found you can easily modify them if you find the right ideas :)

Here is how I have my flexarium set up. The top is strong enough to hold all the stuff.

Attachments

• PICT0085.jpg
    PICT0085.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 116
  • PICT0084.jpg
    PICT0084.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 111
What do you have the cage sitting on? I would love to find some sort of drip pan system that I like for mine. Haven't found anything yet that I like and doesn't look tacky since my cages are in the front room.

Back
Top Bottom