Alright, I am STUMPED/worried/confused by this baby veiled...

sarahog

Can some vet breeders or veileds please help me out here. I have this one baby Cham who was born last (14 days after the first one was born) and ever since he remains TINY, he has only grown a tiny tiny bit since he was born. Now I am confused by this. He does not have to compete for food because I've had him in a separate enclosure since he's so tiny. I watch him eat 3 times a day and he eats well, his little tummy even gets rounded and full looking. He drinks well too but mostly drinks at night. His poop is good and firm dark brown, urate is white. He gets calcium every day, D. Hydei fruit flies and pinheads. (Eats more ff then pinheads by his own doing). UVB exposure (repti sun 5.0) all day (7am-7pm) and 10-15min sunlight twice daily weather permitting (meaning almost every day where we live). Still...despite all this he's remained tiny. The others are much bigger than him. He is almost 2.5 months old and looks like a newborn! I'm at a loss.

Thoughts?????

He could be a runt.
Slow grower.
Maybe he didnt get enough nutrient or something from when he was still in an egg in mom.

If he eats well, and drinks wel, no physical deformities. I would just leave him and watch.

I happen to have a breeder that lives down the street from me so I was able to go over and pick out the one we wanted. All of his babies are now around 4 months old. Out of the 5 we looked at that came from the same clutch they were all different sizes. We wanted a male and there was a tiny one that we wanted but couldn't yet tell if he was one or not.

We talked about it some and I figured it was genetics (survival of the fittest). As horrible as it sounds in the wild the little guy probably wouldn't make it so thankfully he is under your care.

Back
Top Bottom