Advice on New cham

Hey guys! I’m new to the site, and new to keeping Chams. I was wondering if anyone of you guys could give me advice on
1) where to get my new Cham.
2) if I should get a juvenile or a baby

I had a veiled chameleon that I purchased from a petco in my area and had him for a month before he got sick and died. The employee said that lots of them get diseases at the mills from mass production. I didn’t notice anything off about him besides his eyes being closed as if he was taking a nap the afternoon before his death. That’s why I want to avoid any mass breeders. I’m looking for quality in my new Cham buddy! Any advice would help! Thanks

(I attached a picture of kabuto (recent Chams name) may he R.I.P.)

Attachments

• 8A9A5894-D7B3-4B1E-9565-196D81166F33.jpeg
    8A9A5894-D7B3-4B1E-9565-196D81166F33.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 122
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry you lost your first chameleon. It's a shame that's your first experience with one.
It would be better for you to buy from a good breeder rather than a place like Petco. (There are good breeders in this forum.)
There is a natural mortality in chameleons under three months old so I would recommend you get one older than that. I would also recommend that you get a male to avoid the reproductive issues common in female veileds. You can tell a male from the day it's born....they have tarsal spurs on their heels and females don't.

If you answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum we can look at the way you were keeping this last one so you can make any necessary corrections before getting the next one.

I hope you will have good luck with the next one!

Thanks for the tips! Would you recommend Flchams?? I’ve been looking at one in particular. And got the health forum would I have to make a new discussion?

• Chameleon - Veiled chameleon , female, 2 Months old, was in my care for a month
  • Handling: I rarely handled her.
  • Feeding - I fed her some small calcium sprinkled crickets (no d3). At least 10-15 a day (split within 3 sessions)
  • Supplements - repti-cal without d3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Her fecal looked normal, she had the white glob at the end of it as usual, I usually didn’t see her do it, but I did see the droppings when I’d clean the cage.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - it is a reptibreeze screen cage. 16x16x30. I sectioned off the top part of it because it was to big for her to find her food (the crickets wouldn’t climb all the way up.)
  • Lighting - repti sun 5.0 uvb bulb, and a daylight blue uva (40 watt all the others burnt out)
  • Temperature - 72-80 during the day, and 85-90 in the basking spot. I’d turn off the lights at night and the temp would drop to 67-70
  • Humidity - I had a hydrometer placed inside her cage. I would make sure that the humidity would stay up to 80% and wouldn’t it fall past 50
  • Plants - All false plants. In the process of getting a fica plant
  • Placement - On Shelf 7 feet away from my bed. The cage is placed 3.5 feet above ground.

• Chameleon - Veiled chameleon , female, 2 Months old, was in my care for a month
  • Handling I rarely handled her.
  • Feeding - I fed her some small calcium sprinkled crickets (no d3). At least 10-15 a day (split within 3 sessions) You need three supplemts if your chameleon does not get allot of outside time. Calcium without D3 (very lightly dusted just about everyday, calcium with D3 twice a month (very, very lightly) and a multivitimain twice a month (very lightly)

• Supplements - repti-cal without d3. See above
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use????? How often and how long to you mist???? Do you see your chameleon drinking? ???
  • Fecal Description - Her fecal looked normal, she had the white glob at the end of it as usual, I usually didn’t see her do it, but I did see the droppings when I’d clean the cage.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - it is a reptibreeze screen cage. 16x16x30. I sectioned off the top part of it because it was to big for her to find her food (the crickets wouldn’t climb all the way up.). A healthy 2 to 3 month old Veiled should be fine in a 16x16x30. By 7 to 9 months they would need a 2ft. X 2 ft.thats 48 inches high.
  • Lighting - repti sun 5.0 uvb bulb, and a daylight blue uva (40 watt all the others burnt out) No blue light just a regular old fashion household bulb for basking and no light at all at night.
  • Temperature - 72-80 during the day, and 85-90 in the basking spot. I’d turn off the lights at night and the temp would drop to 67-70 90 is to hot for a baby. I recommend a booking spot of 83 or 84.
  • Humidity - I had a hydrometer placed inside her cage. I would make sure that the humidity would stay up to 80% and wouldn’t it fall past 50 Veileds do not have to have as high of humidity as some chameleons so if it falls below 50 between mistings that’s ok
  • Plants - All false plants. In the process of getting a fica plant Chameleons need live plants!
  • Placement - On Shelf 7 feet away from my bed. The cage is placed 3.5 feet above ground.

Welcome to the forums. I am very sorry to hear about your chameleon. In red is the changes that you need to make when you get a new chameleon.

Welcome to the forums. I am very sorry to hear about your chameleon. In red is the changes that you need to make when you get a new chameleon.
Thanks for the tips! I’ll make sure to fix everything for my next little guy. I use a dropper system and a repti fogger as well as a spray bottle to spray down a bit. I actually just started a conversation with you about your chameleons as well!

Thanks for the tips! I’ll make sure to fix everything for my next little guy. I use a dropper system and a repti fogger as well as a spray bottle to spray down a bit. I actually just started a conversation with you about your chameleons as well!

You are welcome. I also gave you links above to some good chameleon research.

EC83D76F-A293-4DA1-8B4A-7579F5685F4E.jpeg
Update:
This is my current screen cage set up! I’m going to get a pathos plant tomorrow due to the shortage of ficus in my area.. any other tips to put in ? I have a double bulb system on top of the screen
32952BD3-D7B8-4F9D-B0BF-8E0F05409897.jpeg
as well as a “little dripper” any tips on what to put at the bottom of the cage? Would some false moss or reptile carpet be ok!?

If you can't find a Ficus Benjamina then another good plant to look for is Schefflera Arboricola. A golden pothos is a great plant as well, so you should definitely get it if you can.

When you say you have a double bulb setup is that in addition to a linear UVB?

If you can't find a Ficus Benjamina then another good plant to look for is Schefflera Arboricola. A golden pothos is a great plant as well, so you should definitely get it if you can.

When you say you have a double bulb setup is that in addition to a linear UVB?
It’s not a linear. It’s the double dome that the reptibreeze brought in the package.. would a linear be better? And so far the only thing I can get my hands on during this weather would be a Golden pothos. I wanted a ficus Benjamina but I’ll have to wait till it warms up

Yes, a linear bulb would be better. Checkout Jannb's blog on how to keep baby veileds, she gave you a link to it. It talks about what UVB she recommends for babies.

Where are you looking for plants and where do you live?

View attachment 199974 Update:
This is my current screen cage set up! I’m going to get a pathos plant tomorrow due to the shortage of ficus in my area.. any other tips to put in ? I have a double bulb system on top of the screen View attachment 199975 as well as a “little dripper” any tips on what to put at the bottom of the cage? Would some false moss or reptile carpet be ok!?
No substrate needed.(y)

You can easily hang a hanging baskey of pothos by putting a dowel rod or PVC cut to the size of your habitat top. Run wire uver it and through the cage then hang the plant from the wire. This way you don't put too much stress on your screen. When I first got my first cham and found this forum I spent my free time reading everythig here. Even old post have information you can use. Follow the tips from the more experienced members and you will do good. By the way...I am about to get a new chameleon and have been reading everything again just so I don't forget something...I think I might be a stalker:ROFLMAO:

You can easily hang a hanging baskey of pothos by putting a dowel rod or PVC cut to the size of your habitat top. Run wire uver it and through the cage then hang the plant from the wire. This way you don't put too much stress on your screen. When I first got my first cham and found this forum I spent my free time reading everythig here. Even old post have information you can use. Follow the tips from the more experienced members and you will do good. By the way...I am about to get a new chameleon and have been reading everything again just so I don't forget something...I think I might be a stalker:ROFLMAO:
I pretty much read through this on my free time . I try and absorb as much but forget most of things later on. I’m trying to get his home ready for when he gets here so he can enjoy it to it’s fullest. I was planning on buying some pvc and make a sort of “case” for the cage so I can get an 18” linear bulb across perfectly and so I can run the plant off of it.

As far as forgetting what you read...start a note book. I like to print off important information such as care sheets, safe plants, etc. I also keep a log to keep my chameleons age, weight, amount fed @ what age, vet visits etc. Always handy in a pinch.

Hey guys! I’m new to the site, and new to keeping Chams. I was wondering if anyone of you guys could give me advice on
1) where to get my new Cham.
2) if I should get a juvenile or a baby

I had a veiled chameleon that I purchased from a petco in my area and had him for a month before he got sick and died. The employee said that lots of them get diseases at the mills from mass production. I didn’t notice anything off about him besides his eyes being closed as if he was taking a nap the afternoon before his death. That’s why I want to avoid any mass breeders. I’m looking for quality in my new Cham buddy! Any advice would help! Thanks

(I attached a picture of kabuto (recent Chams name) may he R.I.P.)
Welcome @Jonathan.N . First I’m very sorry to hear you lost your baby sending lots of Hugs . It’s not easy :love: .

I advise to do lots of homework . Research research research , Then more research !!. This forum is an amazing tool . Pet store chameleons are almost always sick . Our first little beauty (Aka) Frances is from Pet smart , she has had lots of Health issues thank goodness for this forum theirs some amazing keepers here . I will also advise a really good vet even with the healthiest of babies . Things come up !!. Aswell pet ins . Please read @jannb blogs . @jannb has been keeping veiled chameleons for years . Also check in with @kinyonga for advice ,@Andee she has been MIA for a bit but is an amazing resource as well as @Nursemaia if she is around . Please feel free to pm me if you need any thing .

Back
Top Bottom