Advice on New cham

DSCN0792.JPG DSCN0793.JPG

Here is the baby cage I have for my new cham I will have in 2 weeks. Upper left corner of cage is a small hanging pothos, to the right is a parlor palm, also assorted artificial vines and plants. The clear container with red netting is to catch the water from his dripper, the netting to keep him from falling in and drowning. I use grape vines that I washed and baked to rid any bacteria or parasites and I attach them by gluing Neodymium Disc. magnets to the end of the branch then use another one on the screen. These magnets are super strong and does not damage your screen. My other picture is my feeder cup I made out of a solo cup. I punched two holes to thread wire through to attach to cage. I cut a "U" in the cup aprox. 1/2 way down....then I burn the edge of the cut so it isn't sharp. cheap, easy and the feeders don't escape. You can also look up enclosures on the forum for other ideas. When my Cham outgrows this cage I have a 2'X2'X48' cage. you can't see in the picture but I use a tube 5.0 UVB light and a 60 watt incandescent light for heat. I also use a plant light since this is in a spot that is not close to a window.

View attachment 199988 View attachment 199989

Here is the baby cage I have for my new cham I will have in 2 weeks. Upper left corner of cage is a small hanging pothos, to the right is a parlor palm, also assorted artificial vines and plants. The clear container with red netting is to catch the water from his dripper, the netting to keep him from falling in and drowning. I use grape vines that I washed and baked to rid any bacteria or parasites and I attach them by gluing Neodymium Disc. magnets to the end of the branch then use another one on the screen. These magnets are super strong and does not damage your screen. My other picture is my feeder cup I made out of a solo cup. I punched two holes to thread wire through to attach to cage. I cut a "U" in the cup aprox. 1/2 way down....then I burn the edge of the cut so it isn't sharp. cheap, easy and the feeders don't escape. You can also look up enclosures on the forum for other ideas. When my Cham outgrows this cage I have a 2'X2'X48' cage. you can't see in the picture but I use a tube 5.0 UVB light and a 60 watt incandescent light for heat. I also use a plant light since this is in a spot that is not close to a window.
That looks awesome! I really like the idea of the magnets too! I’m going to have to get some to hang up some more vine (can’t ever have enough) I currently have a 16”x16”x30” cage, I feel like it’s a bit to tall for my little guy that I’m going to get. I’ll have to section it off for him. But I really like your enclosure you made for your baby Cham! Are you using any sort of drainage to catch the excess water? And are you hand misting? I was thinking on making a mist king but I would be hand misting for the meantime.

Welcome @Jonathan.N . First I’m very sorry to hear you lost your baby sending lots of Hugs . It’s not easy :love: .

I advise to do lots of homework . Research research research , Then more research !!. This forum is an amazing tool . Pet store chameleons are almost always sick . Our first little beauty (Aka) Frances is from Pet smart , she has had lots of Health issues thank goodness for this forum theirs some amazing keepers here . I will also advise a really good vet even with the healthiest of babies . Things come up !!. Aswell pet ins . Please read @jannb blogs . @jannb has been keeping veiled chameleons for years . Also check in with @kinyonga for advice ,@Andee she has been MIA for a bit but is an amazing resource as well as @Nursemaia if she is around . Please feel free to pm me if you need any thing .
Thank you!!
I actually have been reading Jannb’s blogs to better learn how to take care of my little guy. I’m on this site most of my day learning more and more so I know how to take care of him and keep him healthy. Im sorry to hear about frances it must be harder to take Care of her like that .. I hope she’s doing ok!

That looks awesome! I really like the idea of the magnets too! I’m going to have to get some to hang up some more vine (can’t ever have enough) I currently have a 16”x16”x30” cage, I feel like it’s a bit to tall for my little guy that I’m going to get. I’ll have to section it off for him. But I really like your enclosure you made for your baby Cham! Are you using any sort of drainage to catch the excess water? And are you hand misting? I was thinking on making a mist king but I would be hand misting for the meantime.

Thank you!!
I actually have been reading Jannb’s blogs to better learn how to take care of my little guy. I’m on this site most of my day learning more and more so I know how to take care of him and keep him healthy. Im sorry to hear about frances it must be harder to take Care of her like that .. I hope she’s doing ok!
Frances will be 2 she’s a bossy little beauty ;) . She’s doing quite amazing . She has had a tough road but she is doing well thank you :love:.

This is such a great tool the sight . I’m happy to hear you won’t give up on another baby . With research and a healthy baby you will have an amazing experience . Chameleons are truly little gems . Water will be your #1 friend . Their’s lots of keepers that hand mist . I would recommend that you put a timer on to be sure you are hydrating long enough . Have you Decided whom you will get your new baby from ?

Don’t be afraid to post pictures of your condo as you go along . You will get lots of feed back :love: .

Last edited:
Forgot to mention the magnets are kind of hard to find but you can get them from Amazon. For my small cage I have a fogger set up to fog down from the top through a PVC pipe with holes drilled and end capped off. I have it set up on a timer to go off every 2.5 hours for 5 min. I also hand mist. I don't get much water build up in my small cage. When I go to my larger cage it will be different.

30 inches high will be just perfect for a fat healthy baby chameleon. I would recommend a feeder cup though.

Last edited:
Frances will be 2 she’s a bossy little beauty ;) . She’s doing quite amazing . She has had a tough road but she is doing well thank you :love:.

This is such a great tool the sight . I’m happy to hear you won’t give up on another baby . With research and a healthy baby you will have an amazing experience . Chameleons are truly little gems . Water will be you #1 friend . Their is lots that hand mist . I would recommend it hat you put a timer on to be sure you are hydrating long enough . Have you Decided whom you will get your new baby from ?

Don’t be afraid to post pictures of your condo as you go along . You will get lots of feed back :love: .
I was already getting attached to my recent baby left me heartbroken when I saw her lying there. And actually when I get around to making it I was planning on doing something with a timer on it just for the times I’m at work and he needs a misting. And actually I have! I have one on hold with Jann! I can’t wait for him to get here! I’m actually on my way to buy a golden pathos right now. I’ll be posting pics once I have it set in!

I was already getting attached to my recent baby left me heartbroken when I saw her lying there. And actually when I get around to making it I was planning on doing something with a timer on it just for the times I’m at work and he needs a misting. And actually I have! I have one on hold with Jann! I can’t wait for him to get here! I’m actually on my way to buy a golden pathos right now. I’ll be posting pics once I have it set in!
I’m sorry your first experience was such heart break . I’m not sure if you have seen @Traildrifterphalanx thread ? He has some fantastic info ,he lost his first 2 little girls . V is his 3rd and is amazing and healthy . @jannb is amazing you will be so very happy with one of her babies . We will have a sibling !. Very exciting . We do both hand mist and have a climist . We also have a little boy panther he prefers hand misting . Frances needs lots of hydrating with her we do both . It’s so nice as you said if you are stuck someplace you know your baby is hydrated . Potho’s are a great choice . There very easy to keep vines are sturdy for your boy , chameleons love lots of pathways have you decided on vines and what kind of branches you might use ?

I’m sorry your first experience was such heart break . I’m not sure if you have seen @Traildrifterphalanx thread ? He has some fantastic info ,he lost his first 2 little girls . V is his 3rd and is amazing and healthy . @jannb is amazing you will be so very happy with one of her babies . We will have a sibling !. Very exciting . We do both hand mist and have a climist . We also have a little boy panther he prefers hand misting . Frances needs lots of hydrating with her we do both . It’s so nice as you said if you are stuck someplace you know your baby is hydrated . Potho’s are a great choice . There very easy to keep vines are sturdy for your boy , chameleons love lots of pathways have you decided on vines and what kind of branches you might use ?
I haven’t seen any of his threads yet. I’ll stop over on his thread later! And I want to make sure that my little guy is hydrated! I just hope I get to hand mist more rather then it be automatic. Get a better feel of the caring process. And I’m actually at Lowe’s buying a pothos! I just don’t know which one to get!

I haven’t seen any of his threads yet. I’ll stop over on his thread later! And I want to make sure that my little guy is hydrated! I just hope I get to hand mist more rather then it be automatic. Get a better feel of the caring process. And I’m actually at Lowe’s buying a pothos! I just don’t know which one to get!
Pick what you love . Your baby will love it to . Be sure it’s a potho . If you need help post a few pics :D. Do you have organic soil to repot in ? If not you want to pic some up . If you want you can put stone over the soil . If you do stone just be sure to have stone large enough not to ingest .

O
Pick what you love . Your baby will love it to . Be sure it’s a potho . If you need help post a few pics :D. Do you have organic soil to repot in ? If not you want to pic some up . If you want you can put stone over the soil . If you do stone just be sure to have stone large enough not to ingest .
This is the one I picked out! I can get some organic soil right now and re root so my baby Cham doesn’t get around some bad soil. Im also going to wash the leaves off before I put it in!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 54
You can absolutely hand mist too . You can do both if you choose to . With Septiseye we only put his mister on if we can’t get home . I do most the misting I work very close to home and make my own schedule . I put a timer on (phone timer) I water him 3 -4 mins and 2-10 min . Septiseye really does not like the mister . He was always handmisted as a baby . He is @Matt Vanilla Gorilla babies he hand mists . Matt does not breed veiled but has a wealth of info as well . Though he will tell you he’s not the veiled gentlemen ;) .

O

This is the one I picked out! I can get some organic soil right now and re root so my baby Cham doesn’t get around some bad soil. Im also going to wash the leaves off before I put it in!
Would this be alright for the soil?
You can put it right in your shower to wash . The soil looks great . Just make sure it’s just soil . No additives for growth .

I too am getting my baby boy from Jann. Fiona the mother of the babies was my first. She wanted to breed her male to her and I wanted a male so we both win. I live in Central Florida and Jann is in the Southern part so I will be picking up my Lil Louie later this month. I am excited to see Fiona again...I know she has the best home ever. It will be fun catching up on all the siblings on the forum.
O

Beautiful choice!

I too am getting my baby boy from Jann. Fiona the mother of the babies was my first. She wanted to breed her male to her and I wanted a male so we both win. I live in Central Florida and Jann is in the Southern part so I will be picking up my Lil Louie later this month. I am excited to see Fiona again...I know she has the best home ever. It will be fun catching up on all the siblings on the forum.

Beautiful choice!
We are taking a little girl :love: her name will be phoebe name meaning is bright and pure . . I love love little girl veiled . We had no preference on sex .

We are taking a little girl :love: her name will be phoebe name meaning is bright and pure . . I love love little girl veiled . We had no preference on sex .
Love the name. My Lil Louie is named after his great great grandfather Luie...Jann's original. I'm spelling it a little different and when he gets bigger he will be King Louie because I feel like he comes from royalty. Amos and Fiona are both awesome. Fiona was a great cham and she will always have a piece of my heart...I was just a nervous wreck when it came to egg time.

Back
Top Bottom