4 month old veiled

evildude

hi i had a problem with my first baby cham in a glass exo terra and he died .now i im getting a 4-5 month female veiled and don't know what size screen in enclosure to get i have 50watt heat(basking) lamp and a repti glow 5.0 45cm long and a night light could you please tell me what else i need for her as i don't make the same mistake and don't trust pet shops anymore with there advise they all say different many thanks ben :)

Might as well get a 24x24x48, or 24x24x36 size cage for it at that age, and this time make sure its not glass. Screen cage is the best imo. You don't need a night light either. And I'm not sure about the reptiglow lights, Reptisun 5.0 is standard here pretty much. And if you can, provide more info like temperature, watering etc if your not sure about something else.

I agree with the size. You are probably looking for at least a 24x24x36 cage.

Keep the 5.0 long bulb, that is good
Keep the 50-75 watt bright light heat bulb (so that the basking temp is correct) - Chams need a visible light to look for in basking
Drop the night light (not needed, no heat is needed at night as long as it doesn't go below 60 degrees).

Get several live plants like a pothos and ficus

Make sure you have calcium without D3 and calcium with D3 for suppl and the minimal (also mineral would be good). I dust without D3 5 days a week, 1 day with D3 and 1 day with nothing.

Make sure there is no substrate.

Have adaquate drainage as they like a LOT of water. Are you hand misting or having an auto mister?

hi i had a problem with my first baby cham in a glass exo terra and he died .now i im getting a 4-5 month female veiled and don't know what size screen in enclosure to get i have 50watt heat(basking) lamp and a repti glow 5.0 45cm long and a night light could you please tell me what else i need for her as i don't make the same mistake and don't trust pet shops anymore with there advise they all say different many thanks ben :)

i think you want the repti-SUN 5.0 NOT the repti-GLO 5.0.
depending on your area (how cold does it get?), you might need 60 or 75 watt basking lamp.
Just make sure that the basking spot reaches between 87-90 F.

PS: why female? why not male?
Just remember. pretty soon you will need a container filled with sand for your female to lay eggs..
They do lay eggs even if you never introduce her to male veiled.
RESEARCH about the female veiled first. They require a bit extra care due to this. They get really weak during and after laying eggs.
So you need to standby to make sure she is not eggbound and die.

Last edited:
i would buy a pressure sprayer if i was you for misting because the trigger sprayers will cramp your hand after a while.with the pressure sprayer you just sit it on something next to the cage n it sprays for like 10-15 mn by itself.

New Chameleon

Good deal on getting things checked out and researched. I agree on the cage size. Also on the Reptisun 5.0 tube light. I also think that you need to pick out your basking light based on your individual situation. Put a thermometer in your cage somehow. I have a portable Fluker's digital thing that shows temperature and humidity. I only have a few for all the chams I have. I keep it out in the room the chams happen to be in, to see the base room temperature. Then I pick it up and put it into an individual cage to check it out. I put it at the high basking point and then at the lower part of the cage. After I check things out I put it back on the table in the room. I only keep permanent temp/humidity gauges in my baby cages.

My concern is that I use 100 Watt basking lights in my adult cages. In my situation one 75 Watt bulb would not be warm enough. Other people are good with that 75 Watt bulb. I have a male Veiled in a 18 wide by 30 long by 36 high screen cage. I have two 100 Watt ExoTerra Sun Glo heat bulbs over the cage. One on each end. My Veiled is extremely happy with this situation. He basks right under one or the other bulbs. When he wants to cool down he moves to the middle area of the top between the two bulbs or he moves further down in the cage. I tried just having one of the 100 Watt bulbs at first. He stayed all day under that one bulb. He did not like to roam around and get crickets as much. My base room temperature is about 72 degrees so his cage at the bottom never got colder than that.

I've never seen any indication that my Veiled is overheated. There are no burning issues. With the two bulbs he feels warm enough to roam around and get food now. I guess what I am saying is that you need to consider your own situation. Get something to measure temperature. And be willing to change your bulb strength up or down after observing your chams daily behavior :)

Back
Top Bottom