3D Printing for Chameleon Keeping ideas/suggestions

This is a really random idea - but I thought about it the other day. Since I got another new baby, he of course is trying to climb the screen a little bit (not all the time and yes the enclosure is spot on). My idea was a 3D printed panel that could be secured to the screen on all 4 uppermost sides of the enclosure (so it would probably end up being 4”x24”) that would prevent them from being able to access the top screen. I don’t know it it’s feasible, but throwing it out there!

This is a really random idea - but I thought about it the other day. Since I got another new baby, he of course is trying to climb the screen a little bit (not all the time and yes the enclosure is spot on). My idea was a 3D printed panel that could be secured to the screen on all 4 uppermost sides of the enclosure (so it would probably end up being 4”x24”) that would prevent them from being able to access the top screen. I don’t know it it’s feasible, but throwing it out there!
I'm not sure I fully understand what you are intending, but the limitation with 3d printing is usually the printer bed area which limits the size of a print.
A common Ender 3 print bed size for example is 235 x 235 mm so the max length of any object is sqr(2)*235mm which is the diagonal length of the bed. The vertical height is a similar length with the same constraint.
Are you referring to panels that run the upper edge of the screen to prevent climbing on the upper 4"? If that is the case, I think a non-3d printed solution may work. I wouldn't be too concerned with screen crawling like you mentioned and any attempt at a solution may come with it's own complications like bugs hiding behind and object or panel.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are intending, but the limitation with 3d printing is usually the printer bed area which limits the size of a print.
A common Ender 3 print bed size for example is 235 x 235 mm so the max length of any object is sqr(2)*235mm which is the diagonal length of the bed. The vertical height is a similar length with the same constraint.
Are you referring to panels that run the upper edge of the screen to prevent climbing on the upper 4"? If that is the case, I think a non-3d printed solution may work. I wouldn't be too concerned with screen crawling like you mentioned and any attempt at a solution may come with it's own complications like bugs hiding behind and object or panel.
That’s true, my idea was that it would just be a small panel that one could affix to the tops of each side of the enclosure that would provide a smooth and unclimbable surface so they can’t reach the ceiling screen. But like you said, this would probably be unlikely to work with a 3D printer due to size constraints. I guess even corrugated plastic could work instead!

Just a random thought, but what about lighting brackets? It might be a bit too individualized by brand/size fora single generic piece though. As I'm looking at lighting, I would like a way to distribute the weight of the light to the frame rather than the screen, if possible. Maybe some sort of bracket might be an idea? Mine will be made from wood as that's what I have available to me.

Just a random thought, but what about lighting brackets? It might be a bit too individualized by brand/size fora single generic piece though. As I'm looking at lighting, I would like a way to distribute the weight of the light to the frame rather than the screen, if possible. Maybe some sort of bracket might be an idea? Mine will be made from wood as that's what I have available to me.
I have thought about that as well! Especially to hold a higher UVB light highter to reduce exposure like 10-12% and possibly hit 2 cages instead of just one.

Along those same lines, I did make this Arcadia light clip that suspends an Arcadia t5 light from a standard wire shelf. This worked great for me. It clips around the wire shelf and holds the light directly below the shelf. The shelf can then be raised or lowered for lighting needs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 6.47.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 6.47.49 AM.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 48
I have a couple concerns with 3D printing things for chameleons and other reptiles. 3D printing creates a porous surface that can not be disinfected. Just keep in mind that like branches and other surfaces that hold bacteria they should be disposed of in the case of parasitic infection and should not go from one cham to another in the event of unexplained death or illness.
My second concern it that while there are food safe plastics for printing (not all are safe), the colors are not food safe. I wouldn't eat out of anything printed or feed my chameleon from it either.
Note the filaments, nozzles and lubricant used all need to be food safe and the printed items need to be sanded multiple grits or treated chemically to even get close to food safe but the issue if the dyes still remain.

Last edited:
I have thought about that as well! Especially to hold a higher UVB light highter to reduce exposure like 10-12% and possibly hit 2 cages instead of just one.

Along those same lines, I did make this Arcadia light clip that suspends an Arcadia t5 light from a standard wire shelf. This worked great for me. It clips around the wire shelf and holds the light directly below the shelf. The shelf can then be raised or lowered for lighting needs.
I have a PVC pipe frame around my cage (that's around a foot taller than the cage itself) and use that and wire to hang my lights (through the clips Arcadia provides) and can move it anywhere along the cage. It's a very cheap and effective option that's highly customizable!

I have a PVC pipe frame around my cage (that's around a foot taller than the cage itself) and use that and wire to hang my lights (through the clips Arcadia provides) and can move it anywhere along the cage. It's a very cheap and effective option that's highly customizable!
I had thought of PVC too, since that is what I had built for our hedgehogs. We had a rabbit cage and the frame had two posts going up with one across the top. I used carabineer clips to hold the lights and cords. I even took the time to notch the top of the PVC so the clips would stay in place without sliding. My esthetic designer was impressed with the ingenuity, but not the appearance. I need to do better with the chameleon enclosure. Happy wife, happy life. I'm thinking probably full canopy, which is what brought me to the brackets. I'm guessing 3D printed plastic isn't terribly strong, otherwise there might be something along the lines of track lighting, but for plant and basking lights?

You don't need to put photos if you don't want to. I'm sorry I didn't realize they were gone; I'm sure you gave them the most amazing lives possible!

Back
Top Bottom