2 female panthers both having issues:(

PackMaster

Enclosure: full screen 4' x 1 1/2 ' x 3'
2 large live Philodendron plants
Egg laying bin: 1' deep organic soil and washed sand mix
Lighting: 2 Zilla T8 Tropical, Double dome heat lamp with 2 75W bulbs
Humidity: Monsoon Misting system, so spray heads, mist every hour, 2 drippers
Food: Flukers fed gut loaded crickets, calcium (Repti Calcium without D) dusted, Super worms dusted
TARA: NosyBe born 6-10-2015 purchased by me at age 3 mo
GEMMA: Ambilobe born 6-2-2015 purchased by me at age 3 mo
Tara's issue: I think she got soil in her eyes when digging to lay eggs. She is keeping her eyes shut tight. I saw some cleam amber liquid around one eye. Held her eyes under warm running water, attempting to flush out. Seemed to help some the second time, because she could see crickets and ate. Now her eyes are closed again. She cant see to eat :( Problem has been going on for less than one week.
Gemma: Noticed unusual puffiness along a few spots on her tail. Now her arms and hands are swelling and puffy. It's to the point where she can not grasp vines and plants. She has been falling, so I have mesh netting at the bottom of the enclosure to cushion the fall. She cant be getting proper lighting and heating at the bottom of the enclosure. Problem has been going on for a month.

Honestly at this point, I would get them both to the vet, there could be any number of things causing those types of symptoms. Without more info it is almost impossible for any of us to help you diagnose possible issues. Also I would not house them together if that's what your doing. I would also recommend filling out the questions in the sticky called "how to ask for help." You can find that in the health section. Good luck with your chams and again, i would reccomend a qualified reptile vet at this point.

Honestly at this point, I would get them both to the vet, there could be any number of things causing those types of symptoms. Without more info it is almost impossible for any of us to help you diagnose possible issues. Also I would not house them together if that's what your doing. I would also recommend filling out the questions in the sticky called "how to ask for help." You can find that in the health section. Good luck with your chams and again, i would reccomend a qualified reptile vet at this point.
Thank you ! I live in a rural part of AR, where we do not have access to Exotic Vets. I'm doing the best I can, with what I have. Both females have been laying eggs regularly, their poop looks good. I appreciate you getting back to me! thanks again !!

Regarding the eyes...have you always had the philodendron in the cage?
"Contact with philodendron oils or fluids with the eyes have also been known to result in conjunctivitis."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philodendron#Toxicity

Please post some photos of them both.
I have had the same type of plants on the habitat from the beginning. I THOUGHT they were ok. Because my enclosure is also screen on the floor, I found it necessary to use hanging plants. These looked ideal because they are vine like. Ugh!

I hate to sound like a cham nazi, but I'd get those cages up off the floor. Chams prefer to be up off the ground (except for carpet chameleons) and being stuck down low can cause them chronic stress which leads to weakened immune systems and in the end...disease and death.

Oops you mean the plants are on the floor of the cage? I thought you meant the cages were on the floor. Sorry, my mistake.

Here is a pic of Tara's puffy feet. She also has spots down her tail that are puffy.

Attachments

• IMG_1881.JPG
    IMG_1881.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1883.JPG
    IMG_1883.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1885.JPG
    IMG_1885.JPG
    413.3 KB · Views: 132
I hate to sound like a cham nazi, but I'd get those cages up off the floor. Chams prefer to be up off the ground (except for carpet chameleons) and being stuck down low can cause them chronic stress which leads to weakened immune systems and in the end...disease and death.
Thank you for the suggestion!! I appreciate all of the suggestions I can get. They rarely spend much time in the lower half, unless they are going into the egg laying bin.
THANKS AGAIN!!

You really need to see a good reptile vet.
The swollen ankles might be an infection or gout...can't tell without some tests at this point..and it might even be from kidney failure. The one in the middle photo is also quite dehydrated.

Do you have photos of the one with the eye issues?

The last pic she looks all bent and broken like a cham with MBD. How old is your uvb bulb?
The bulbs were new March 14,2017. I do have both of my females in the same habitat. One suggestion I received was to separate them. The femal with the eye issue, does not have any of the puffiness in the extremities. ( the one with the eye issue came up with problems after digging to lay eggs. Almost like she got dirt in her eyes)
Thanks for all of your help! I love my girls!!

You really need to see a good reptile vet.
The swollen ankles might be an infection or gout...can't tell without some tests at this point..and it might even be from kidney failure. The one in the middle photo is also quite dehydrated.

Do you have photos of the one with the eye issues?
That really seems like a possibility. I appreciate it!! The one with the eye issues IS actually the middle photo. She couldn't see to eat or drink. :(. Her right eye has cleared up, and she can eat and drink now. Everyday I let water drip over her eyes to attempt to moisten them and kinda do an eye wash. THANK YOU so much for your helpful suggestions!

I thought the middle photo was not the same chameleon as the first one. The second one looks dehydrated.as I said...but not really the first one.
Have you tried misting her eyes very gently and using a dripper to hydrate the one with the eyes shut?

I thought the middle photo was not the same chameleon as the first one. The second one looks dehydrated.as I said...but not really the first one.
Have you tried misting her eyes very gently and using a dripper to hydrate the one with the eyes shut?
I drip warm water over each eye. One has cleared up. If I can get the second one to clear up, it will be great. She started eating and drinking once she could see. I was relieved! Thank you so much for your suggestions! Truly appreciated!

The bulbs were new March 14,2017. I do have both of my females in the same habitat. One suggestion I received was to separate them. The femal with the eye issue, does not have any of the puffiness in the extremities. ( the one with the eye issue came up with problems after digging to lay eggs. Almost like she got dirt in her eyes)
Thanks for all of your help! I love my girls!!
I drip warm water over each eye. One has cleared up. If I can get the second one to clear up, it will be great. She started eating and drinking once she could see. I was relieved! Thank you so much for your suggestions! Truly appreciated!
Thanks for the heads up on possible gout. I started reading up on it. Her symptoms seem to follow along with the gout symptoms. She eats crickets and rarely superworms, always calcium dusted ( without vitamin D) crickets gut loaded with Flukers high calcium, and calcium fortified cricket quencher. Could gout come from TOO MUCH calcium?

If you have a hand mister I would set it so it's a really Fi e mist and mist her eye a few times gently...it should work better than a dripper. Just don't spray it so a lot goes in her mouth... by holding the sprayer so it's spraying from the side of her.

Not sure if calcium would be the cause or not...how heavily are you dusting? Are you using supplements with D3 in often?

From your info OP, I didn't see that you are supplementing with any vitamin D3 or herp multivitamins. This could lead to vitamin deficiencies which could explain part of the eye trouble and also the joint issues. The Fluker's gutload isn't great either. Maybe this is a starting place? Separate them, get rid of the substrate, and the Philodendron too.

Thanks for the heads up on possible gout. I started reading up on it. Her symptoms seem to follow along with the gout symptoms. She eats crickets and rarely superworms, always calcium dusted ( without vitamin D) crickets gut loaded with Flukers high calcium, and calcium fortified cricket quencher. Could gout come from TOO MUCH calcium?

Gout in chameleons almost always comes from kidney failure which is usually caused by either a single severe dehydration event or chronic dehydration, which is the state most chameleons in captivity are kept in.

Gout is a build up of uric acid deposits throughout the body.

There is also something called pseudo gout which is not related to gout. There are many metabolic bone diseases as well..

You really need to get both of them into a vet.

If you have a hand mister I would set it so it's a really Fi e mist and mist her eye a few times gently...it should work better than a dripper. Just don't spray it so a lot goes in her mouth... by holding the sprayer so it's spraying from the side of her.

Not sure if calcium would be the cause or not...how heavily are you dusting? Are you using supplements with D3 in often?
The misting is a great idea! I dust every feeding to where the crickets are coated. I also have Zoo Meds Reptivite with D3, but I haven't used it in a long time. Honestly I had it set back and forgot about it. I need to reorder some. Will that be a good supliment to use?

Back
Top Bottom