Zephyr's Fecal Results...Coccidia parasite

nosytrish

Hey everyone,

We got a call today from the vet and Zephyr's 3rd fecal test came back positive for coccidia. He has been put on medication for this, 0.04ml of "tribrissen suspension", once a day for two doses, then every-other-day for a month. We have been instructed how to administer the medication, but I was wondering if we should be taking any other precautions other than extra hydration or suppliments (we have been advised to get reptaid) We are not quite sure how Zephyr contracted this, but the vet said that she saw a lot of it. We went to the herp store today and they feel that it was probably from the breeder or something about water.....We keep our crickets and Zephyr's cage really really clean, so we are confused as to exactly how long he has had this. Zephyr has been showing not really any signs of this illness and his poop has been regular and solid. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips? Will we have to be scrubbing his cage every night to get on top of this thing? Thanks for all of your input.

Trish, Steve and Zephyr!

Tribrissen is what was used when one of my WC's had it a long time ago and it worked well. As you already know...keep the chameleon well hydrated.

I don't remember having to repeatedly clean the cage...just had to keep it cleaned more thoroughly until the meds were finished.

Howdy,

Trimethoprim Sulfadiazine (same with Albon [SULFADIMETHOXINE])works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. If it does not clear the Coccidia from his system then it will likely bloom to a full load again. If he begins to show debilitating side-effects and/or it isn't clearing completely, you'll want to switch to Ponazuril. You can search this site about Ponazuril.

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the input. We went out to get Zephyr all fake plants for his cage and we are getting him a new plant just so it doesnt feel so artificial for him. We are going to contact our vet about Ponazuril and I will definately look up more information about it on the site.

Trish and Zephyr

Back
Top Bottom