Youngish Veiled Cham Lethargic - Dehydrated:

Coral

Good morning! My sweet female, Sally, who's under a year old, suddenly slowed down her eating and seems weak and even dehydrated. The past few days, she has opened her mouth and allowed me to spray or drip fresh water right into her mouth. But her eyes still appear sunken and she hangs out on the bottom of her cage rather than in the branches up by her heat bulbs. She has me so worried. My fiancee has owned plenty of reptiles, but she is my first. We don't have an exotics vet nearby. What else can I do to help her?

fill this out to give everyone the information they need to help and save time answering questions

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

I went home for lunch and found she had laid 12 eggs! She's been in our care for about 5 months, with no contact with other chameleons! They can't be fertilized, can they????

I went home for lunch and found she had laid 12 eggs! She's been in our care for about 5 months, with no contact with other chameleons! They can't be fertilized, can they????

Most lilely they are not. chameleons lay eggs and you need a laying bin. Do you have one if not where did she lay them?

I hope she laid them all because if she didn't and she has no proper place to lay them in the cage she could die from eggbinding. I would set up an opaque container at least 12" deep by 12" by 8" full of moistened washed playsand. The sand should only be moist enough to hold a tunnel. I hope you do this in time and I hope she makes it. If she's too weak she won't likely make it and a vet likely couldn't save her either if she's that weak.
Did she eat since she laid the eggs?

I hope she laid them all because if she didn't and she has no proper place to lay them in the cage she could die from eggbinding. I would set up an opaque container at least 12" deep by 12" by 8" full of moistened washed playsand. The sand should only be moist enough to hold a tunnel. I hope you do this in time and I hope she makes it. If she's too weak she won't likely make it and a vet likely couldn't save her either if she's that weak.
Did she eat since she laid the eggs?

Thank you for answering! My fiancee set up a container in the bottom of her enclosure with vermiculite and we've slightly moistened it by spraying it lightly with water. She has laid 15 eggs, which we have transferred to the container. I think she has eaten a cricket since laying the eggs. She's definitely had water. She opens her mouth and allows us to either drip or spray water into it. She seemed much stronger last night, and this morning was in the vermiculite, relaxing.

Most lilely they are not. chameleons lay eggs and you need a laying bin. Do you have one if not where did she lay them?

Thank you for answering! My fiancee set up a container in the bottom of her enclosure with vermiculite and we've slightly moistened it by spraying it lightly with water. She has laid 15 eggs, which we have transferred to the container. She seemed much stronger last night, and this morning was in the vermiculite, relaxing.

I would get the vermiculite out of there. She might ingest it. Vermiculite is used to incubate the eggs in but she needs soil without fertilizer or vermiculite in it or washed playsand to lay the eggs in.

What supplements specifically do you supplement with and how often for each? What do you feed / gutload the insects with specifically?

She should have been quite hungry.

Please don't spray water in her mouth...she could aspirate it. Dripping it on the end of her nose and letting her pick it up on her own is the best way to water her.

Back
Top Bottom