You All Lied to Me!

I hate bugs too,but feeding them to my pets gives me great pleasure. Its like you have private little Bug Assassins (and you even get to watch).

Another thing to think of is, most bugs we feed to reptiles in the US is that very few of them are capable of biting us to a point were you would feel it.

For anyone afraid of escape bugs, buy a house gecko and set it loose or do what I do and let the spiders roam FREEEEE!! they catch a decent amount of bugs that escape. :D

For anyone afraid of escape bugs, buy a house gecko and set it loose or do what I do and let the spiders roam FREEEEE!! they catch a decent amount of bugs that escape. :D

Now if there's any bug I don't like to handle its a spider...completely silly and irrational I know. I'd rather have loose roaches than spiders...come to think of it I probably already do since the roach colony bin mysteriously toppled itself off the shelf over the boiler (I suspect the roaches were dancing or something). But, if there were any our current weather has taken care of them...it is about 10 F with a wind chill of -25 F today. The motmots are puffed up and looking grouchy, python is buried under his cage carpets, moose are huddled in the yard out of the wind and topping my birch trees dang it!

How funny!

Now if there's any bug I don't like to handle its a spider...completely silly and irrational I know. I'd rather have loose roaches than spiders...come to think of it I probably already do since the roach colony bin mysteriously toppled itself off the shelf over the boiler (I suspect the roaches were dancing or something). But, if there were any our current weather has taken care of them...it is about 10 F with a wind chill of -25 F today. The motmots are puffed up and looking grouchy, python is buried under his cage carpets, moose are huddled in the yard out of the wind and topping my birch trees dang it!

I totally with you there on spiders...my fear is irrational, unreasonable and incurable but what can I say. And I'm with everyone else in that this post is hilarious! I actually laughed out loud at work and people stared! Not cool! The crickets I don't mind, although when they jump on my hand I have to slow my breathing in order to not shake uncontrollably and hurt myself like some other people posted about previously! I have not yet branched into some of the other bigger varieties of worms, my girl is still on the small side...but I can be sure in saying that I will not at all be handling Superworms if they bite and puke! Not cool at all!!! Silkworms and butters and waxworms should all be fine for me though...but I will still probanly go home tonight and have mad crazy dreams about bugs. My husband is going to kill me when I tell him about the other bugs he will have to let me keep in the house!

I literally just had a nightmare about the supers. Yesterday before I went to bed I checked up on my feeders, and I found 3 supers on the carpet :O. Apparently they found a way out of their makeshift container. Anywho, I had a dream that the things took over my house. Now, I hate them with a firey passion...and have even been feeding them to local kitties to gain revenge. Muahahahha

Spiders

A fear of spiders is natural lol I was just at an expo and a guy selling spiders was like to be honest everyone is a little afraid of spiders it's just some of us get past it but that fear still remains in the subconscious. Lol

I have gotten a lot better with crickets, I don't mind them anymore. I still can't do roaches. My husband breeds rusty reds, dubias, and hissers; they all gross me out. For superworms, butterworms, and silk worms, I use chopsticks! Yum!:D

I paid shipping and cost for some lobster roaches trying to switch scratchies diet up.. Shortly after they were shipped I read that they were climbing roaches......... When I got them they had some small ones, about 1/4".. I opened the container and they crawled out fast into the ziplock bag I put over the hole.. That zip lock went straight into the freezer.. What a waist of money,,lol..Don't mind the non climbing species but the climbing can't come in my house,,lol..

I have never minded bugs. I scope up handfuls of crickets with my hands..

I think my husband, Jason was a but more skittish of bugs before he met me.. But now he sees me grabbing roaches and worms and crickets with my bare hands like nothing so he figured he had to "man up" if I could do it so should he.

I don't like the spiders tho. Im not afraid of them they just annoy me. I found a huge black widow spider with 7 egg sacks living under on of the tables that we put chameleon cages on. I would rather the spiders stay out of the house.

In the summer we get the anoles and often toads that hop in the house to eat rogue crickets...

I don't hate the bugs I actually eat them and feed my chameleon lasagne. I really dont.

That was a mere joke as I indeed tonight had lasagne and not bugs and I don't have a Chameleon. He arrives tomorrow and he wont be eating lasagne. He will eat bugs. I don't share my lasagne with anyone.

WOW! :eek: I had no idea how many Cham keepers were afraid of handling bugs!! I am a girl, well woman and I LOVE bugs. I have Dubia, Lobster, and Hissers that I am trying to get established into colonies. I also have a mini mealworm colony I rarely feed from. I have no problem what so ever going in and grabbing a few dubia, lobster, or hissers with my bare hands. My son walks around with my HUGE hissers crawling all over him, it's the cutest. My mom told me that when I was a little bitty one i'd actually use to play with our house cockroaches and eat them when I was done playing with them. Yes I know gross but I don't remember that. Lol!

For the person who froze his/her lobsters, WHAT? Lol! You could have sent them my way!:D

Edit: Oh and for you spider haters, I have 6 tarantulas. Lol! I have snakes, geckos, toads, roaches, worms, scorpions, and all the good creepy crawly things as pets. :D

Not being funny but if none of you like touching bugs what the hell made any of you want to buy or even look after a chameleon!?? I'm shocked!

kinda long but...enjoy :)

Well... as i told earlyer - maybe in the intro thred of mine - i worked 3 years at the local zoo in the bug house :D So i assume its needless to discuss my relation with insects :D:D:D

But our reptiles need to eat, and there are loads of options of feeders you can choose, which dont freek you out. And buy a long pincers if it make you feel safer. And for example dubia roaches haven even got a jaw that can make a bite on you!!! So they are safe. :)

Here is a little story, if you guys&girls dont mind it:

So you may think, someone who works in the bug house on his own will, cant be freaked out with some kind of an invertebrate....if so, you are wrong :) At least in my case. Two things can "scare" me: centipides (the large ones) and slugs. I hate them, and im kinda afraid of centipides, slugs are just a thing i dont like really.

One day we had 5 escaped centipides, didnt know the exact species, they where about 12 inches long and almost 1 inch wide with a black and red striped coloration, which never a good sign, unless you are a fan of deadly venomous centipides:D So for a week every morning we scanned the whole house with the longest pincers we found.....under the process nobody was harmed, including the centipides...we never found them.... (according to the circumstances, the dry and hot weather those weeks, they couldnt make it for even a week outside the bughouse..so i guess the all died....

just a story from old times...hehe :)

Take care guys&girls :D and dont forget the pincers ;)

I stick to crickets and phoenix worms. I could imagine feeding a silkworm to a chameleon being kind of gross because I used to raise silkworms when I was a little kid from these little silkworm kits they used to sell.

Well... as i told earlyer - maybe in the intro thred of mine - i worked 3 years at the local zoo in the bug house :D So i assume its needless to discuss my relation with insects :D:D:D

But our reptiles need to eat, and there are loads of options of feeders you can choose, which dont freek you out. And buy a long pincers if it make you feel safer. And for example dubia roaches haven even got a jaw that can make a bite on you!!! So they are safe. :)

Here is a little story, if you guys&girls dont mind it:

So you may think, someone who works in the bug house on his own will, cant be freaked out with some kind of an invertebrate....if so, you are wrong :) At least in my case. Two things can "scare" me: centipides (the large ones) and slugs. I hate them, and im kinda afraid of centipides, slugs are just a thing i dont like really.

One day we had 5 escaped centipides, didnt know the exact species, they where about 12 inches long and almost 1 inch wide with a black and red striped coloration, which never a good sign, unless you are a fan of deadly venomous centipides:D So for a week every morning we scanned the whole house with the longest pincers we found.....under the process nobody was harmed, including the centipides...we never found them.... (according to the circumstances, the dry and hot weather those weeks, they couldnt make it for even a week outside the bughouse..so i guess the all died....

just a story from old times...hehe :)

Take care guys&girls :D and dont forget the pincers ;)

I LOVE centipedes and am planning on getting one as a pet hopefully soon. I"m leaning toward the Vietnamese centapede, they are SO pretty!

Pretty, can you pleaase name the wietname one in sci. name?! Or just link me some pictures or so. They are so colorful and beautyful, no doubt, and caring mothers! We bred the hungarian one in the zoo without problems as i remember but not sure. The tropical ones were the hard things. If you get one, please, get a tight locked and well isolated tank for it!!!! I say, because the ones were escaped was pushed their terrariums top, whith the 2 bricks on them!!!! Unbelivable, but trust me, its not my imagination, we were scared when we saw it with the other keepers. So go ahed, but be extremly careful. ohh nad another advice if i can say: try to search the nearest hospital where they have antivenom, just in case. (only if the keeping is 100% legal) :D good luck!

Back
Top Bottom