You All Lied to Me!

I've never laughed so hard in my life over a thread. Especially the people who have "sampled" what their chameleon eats every day. :eek:

Thanks to everyone who has made me feel 10x better about being a wuss when it comes to feeding my cham!

Just to show how much I appreciate all the support I did something I don't normally do, here you go!!!

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

Yes, after my sister took the picture I threw it at Gunther and had a little freak out fest. And, yes I only picked up the smallest one.
This was the other one Gunther got, I used my handy dandy 18" tongs for this one.

IMG_1926.jpg

Whahaha, I think those hornworms are gorgeous, their colors and all. I don't might picking them up at all. What they turn into is less pretty but the worms are beautiful in my opinion.

i admit, the first couple weeks of owning a cham, crickets were a little creepy. after a few weeks, i didnt mind them. i no longer have any problems handling the insects, worms, etc. so long as i was my hands afterwards.

At first the dubias would freak me out a little, but now I can slide my hand through a bin full of roaches just like Kevin Costner running his hands through wheat in Field of Dreams! That's how know you've conquered your phobia!! lol! :D

I never thought I'd be a girl to touch crickets and worms, but I'm totally over it. I don't even freak out when they escape and crawl on me. However, I refuse to do roaches as feeders....I don't think I could get over it. lol

At first the dubias would freak me out a little, but now I can slide my hand through a bin full of roaches just like Kevin Costner running his hands through wheat in Field of Dreams! That's how know you've conquered your phobia!! lol! :D

Guess I will never be there! I am really proud that I can hold a half grown one in bare hands and take the back legs off as one of my chams is slow. I don't like handling one that size, but let me tell you I plan to keep on wearing gloves for the adult gross ones. I can pick up any worm, cricket ect but not the big roaches!!~!!

Guess I will never be there! I am really proud that I can hold a half grown one in bare hands and take the back legs off as one of my chams is slow. I don't like handling one that size, but let me tell you I plan to keep on wearing gloves for the adult gross ones. I can pick up any worm, cricket ect but not the big roaches!!~!!

Funny, I've never been afraid of any type of insect. There are some I don't particularly like (tarantulas aren't on my future pet list), but I can handle them without trouble. The one thing I cannot stand touching dead or alive is a fish! The sweet smell of their mucous coat....YUUUCK!

I am a permitted venomous keeper, have had king cobras, death adder, you name it, have an abnornmal lack of fear with them. Feeder bugs don’t bother me at all, rats, etc. But I really get the creeps from spiders! Another thing that I don’t like are maggots and that thought that they could get on me and start multiplying and eating me! Rattlesnake, no sweat! This is in interesting thread for a noob to chameleons.

Interesting trivia: maggots only eat "dead tissue" they even used them for in-hospital medical treatment. They will clean gangrene/dead skin tissue from awful flesh wounds, and leave the healthy tissue alone. Looks all clean a tidy once they've done their job too. Doctors apparently like to use them because when a doctor cuts that bad tissue away they always cut healthy tissue away too (not good when the wound is already deep). Of coarse the maggots are sterile/created in a lab for medical use only. They use leaches too but for a different purpose. Really interesting stuff!!!
Even though the thought of that treatment doesn't bother me (as long as I didn't have to watch them do their job while being treated). I can't stand any worms that have visible jaws whether they can bite or not. I can't stand the super worms, and those brown crawly give me the hebbie-jebbies!!! I'm afraid they'll eat my cham from the inside too....Yuck!!!!!

Last edited:
im good....

except supers, but know i can handle them.

i can hold any bug feeder now except bees and spiders....

Bugs

There just bugs they can't hurt you roll up it sleeves and be a big kid lol idk I actually think the bugs are cool it's fun watching my colonies of roaches grow.

Oh my!! how pleased am i to find this thread this morning!!! finally i know im not the only one!! Have had my cham for about 3 weeks not and i'm still trying to get to grips with feeding it locusts!! the things are onyl small atm so just managing but they freak me right out!! urgh!! i just wish my cham cud be fed chococlate or summin much nicer!! i'm dreading having to feed him huge bugs, the thought makes me wince!!! ewww!!!

Hahaha its not that simple, I love my cham so much I'm prepared to put up with the locusts, no matter how much they freak me out!!

Back
Top Bottom