You All Lied to Me!

Humans have a tendency to be afraid of things that are different, alien to us. Like snakes, everyone I have talked to that is afraid of snakes says it is because they have no legs and are so called "slimy"(which makes me angry because everyone who says they are slimy has never touched one). Similarly, spiders have 8 legs and 8 eyes. Other bugs have 6 legs, can fly, and make weird crunching noises when being eaten or squashed. They are not soft and cuddly either.

In conjunction to that, dogs, cats, horses, things people are more likely to love and cuddle, they have 4 apendages like we do, an inner skeleton, fur, and 2 warm sparkly eyes. Get my point?

Yah, I love snakes. They are amazing, not slimy at all. Just like a rope made out of muscle. Spiders don't scare me as much as roaches... And bugs that fly.. I get your point, interesting...

Humans have a tendency to be afraid of things that are different, alien to us. Like snakes, everyone I have talked to that is afraid of snakes says it is because they have no legs and are so called "slimy"(which makes me angry because everyone who says they are slimy has never touched one). Similarly, spiders have 8 legs and 8 eyes. Other bugs have 6 legs, can fly, and make weird crunching noises when being eaten or squashed. They are not soft and cuddly either.

In conjunction to that, dogs, cats, horses, things people are more likely to love and cuddle, they have 4 apendages like we do, an inner skeleton, fur, and 2 warm sparkly eyes. Get my point?

I think that's very well said and accurate. I think there's also an "unpredictable" and "unknown" factor...we know that some insects and snakes have the potential to really do us harm but most of us lack the ability to quickly discern whether the snake by the side of the road is dangerous or the bug flying at us is perfectly safe. So, we're wary of all of them. (note that the similarity thing is still huge...I'm sure the greatest danger to humans comes from other humans...but we're not generally afraid of them. Unless, of course, they are different!)

Yah, I love snakes. They are amazing, not slimy at all. Just like a rope made out of muscle. Spiders don't scare me as much as roaches... And bugs that fly.. I get your point, interesting...

Yes the few people who like the unordinary and extraordinary are the lucky ones, we can open our minds and our hearts to almost anything. Now if only the government was like that lol... I love my creapy crawlies, so to speak. I ahve a crippled corn snake who was shut in a door as a baby, Leo ofcourse, the roaches, 2 rats (no one likes the tails >=( No idea why...) and a wolf spider named Tala which means, obviously, Wolf lol.

they're bugs, ferpetesakes

OK, I do like that everyone is owning their inner wuss. I will admit that I did like all sorts of bugs and herps from an early age. I will also allow that there were a few things I didn't like: spiders and leeches.

I decided at one point that if I could help other people get over their fear of snakes, I could get my own self over the spider thing. Learned about them, and now have nary a problem with anything with 8 or 10 legs, save the truly dangerous hot sp.

That said, I can grab most anything when its required.

Leeches are still hard to deal with. I can live with that. Parasites suck.

I can't handle super worms and adult crickets, if one escapes the feeder cup or bin I do the grab and toss move then jump up and down with a couple ick ick icks lol

I love my roaches I breed 3 kinds!! Dubias are wonderful feeders!! Great for Reptaid, they don't smell, easy to care for and they look like giant roll pollies :D

I have to admit now that someone mentioned about hawk moths being huge and I'm a little scared I have a few cocoons right now :eek::) lol

I have to admit now that someone mentioned about hawk moths being huge and I'm a little scared I have a few cocoons right now :eek::) lol

If you give them a chance to fly.... look out LOL

This is Henry eating a Hawk moth...

NOm NOM NOM NOM

In case your wondering what is with his lobes... he suffered some bad burns prior to his arrival in my care. It took about a year to heal up :( But he is doing great now!

If you give them a chance to fly.... look out LOL

This is Henry eating a Hawk moth...

NOm NOM NOM NOM

In case your wondering what is with his lobes... he suffered some bad burns prior to his arrival in my care. It took about a year to heal up :( But he is doing great now!

OMG have you ever looked at something and thought "What did I get my self into"
Well I am having that feeling now lol!!

Did you get eggs from those Mothras??

I've never tried. they need a place to fly and mate... never really got that going... lol.

I don't blame you!!!
I was thinking of putting them in a big rubbermade just to see if it would work but after seeing the pictures Earl might be getting special treats soon ;) lol

slippery suckers

Just curious, why would you need to handle leeches? Are you keeping feeder secrets from the cham community...? :p

You have to pull leeches off yourself when you have been hiking in jungles or swamps where they occur. They can be very hard to get a hold of. And no, they are not a feeder.

i member i orderd half bag of locusts for my cham opend up the bag went to put me hand in and this fully adult sized locust ju,pd up at me i mean it ws nearly size of my hand i nearly done a numbr 2 in me pants it made me jump big time lol thats when i fetched the bbq tongs lol :)

i dont like snakes cause ive had bad experiences with them sneaking up on me, also the way the little guys (like garters) move. GUH! but because of this thread, and my girlfriend being deathly afraid of crickets, told her, that if she over comes her fear of crickets i will touch/hold the nearest python or something we come up to. lol what a deal eh? what have i gotten myself into.. shes CONSIDERING IT!:(

I don't like snakes because they were mean in South Africa...
They would always come after us for no reason when we were walking through the velt! (well they were probably protecting their 'homes' but it was still mean lol)

Anywho,
I hate hate hate hate hate crickets... with a passion!
So I just don't use them as a feeder lol.
I pick my locusts up with tweezers ever since I read that thread that they bite lol.. I used to be fine with them though.

I don't like snakes because they were mean in South Africa...
They would always come after us for no reason when we were walking through the velt! (well they were probably protecting their 'homes' but it was still mean lol)

Anywho,
I hate hate hate hate hate crickets... with a passion!
So I just don't use them as a feeder lol.
I pick my locusts up with tweezers ever since I read that thread that they bite lol.. I used to be fine with them though.

They most certainly do! Amy's breakfast bit me the other day! In almost 2 years of keeping chams, it's the first time I've been bitten by a feeder! I was shocked!:D Now the food is placed on a branch using pair of tweezers at arms length, lol!:eek:

I think chameleons as pets, deserve an owner who isnt afraid to offer them a wide variety of insects. I am quite comfortable handling any insect.
IMO I think you should get over your fear. Do it for your lovely cham, im sure he'll appreciate it.:)
I understand if any ladies on here are freaked out but some guys too...!LOL

LMAO! I have had more fun laughing at this whole thread then anything else thats ever been posted (meant to be humorous that is) on this site. Kudos to the original poster.

I totally agree, I know some peeps are afraid, but its best to try and get through your feer to offer the best variety of buggies. My BF and I have tons of herps in addition to our beloved chams, so we are trying to breed as many different feeders as possible. We are doing well now with the dubias, crix and just started silkworms. We have recently purchased 3 mullberry tree saplings (and will be feeding chow in the meantime). I think it helps that i happen to love insects and work at a store that sells most types of feeders. (Sticking my hands into big tubs of super worms all bare handed is nothing).

But really, this thread has been hilarious, I love it!

my cousin gave me a hundred bucks to eat a cricket, it wasnt to bad thank god i feed them lots of oranges for my golden dust geckos :D

@ Eszzie why are you eating your chameleon's bugs? I don't think he would appreciate you stealing from him!

Lol, they weren't my chameleons bugs, it was on a special workshop from people who eat bugs, on a reptile fair. In the morning I thought 'NO way I'm going to eat that" They were making salads with roaches and grilled crickets, ovenbaked pastry with buffalo worms and advocado, roasted wax moth larvas etc. Later on that day i saw my boyfriend eating a salad with redrunners, so I thought I should try something too since all of his friends tried some too, I didn't wanna fall out :p So I ate some roasted crickets and oven baked buffalo worms (didn't like that much, the worms got stuck in my teeth) And roasted wax moth larvas, which are pretty tasty. Since my boyfriend and his frends are used to go to Madagascar, well you get used to stuff like that.

I can handle mealworms and superworms but I freakin HATE CRICKETS SO BAD.

I cant hold them what so every with out my arm spazing out on me, so I let my cham hunt for them like he should :D

Back
Top Bottom