Yes another prolapse thread

repdog

Ok so last night for the 20th time checking in on my reptiles for the day, I checked on them one last time one hour before lights out. I noticed that my cham looked like he had prolapsed. I have my husband start the car to warm up and get the carry case to rush him to the ER. Got him out of the cage pretty nicely I must say and made the ride to the ER. By the time we got there he had put it away or put it back in. So I'm not sure what really happened but he is fine. Even this vet at the ER room said he looked great and I was doing a great job at keeping him. So we went over a couple reasons as to why this would have happened. I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again and freak me out. She did however say that sometimes it will happen if they have parasites. I have looked over the older posts on this topic and didn't see anything about that.

So question is why does this happen and could parasites be a cause? She wanted to know if I wanted to deworm him even though his poop came back clean. I said no.

Also if I should deworm him just to be safe what is the recommended?

I've had chameleons prolapse before. My vets say it can just happen. Parasites can cause it and also I personally believe as they get older their muscles weaken just like ours and that can cause them to prolapse. I would not deworm him if his fecal was clean. Why give him poison if it's not needed.

It's my understanding that this can happen sometimes, and you can help by keeping it moist that in of itself can cause it to go back in. It is when it doesn't go back in that the problem becomes urgent. I would think constipation rather than parasites would be to blame. Just make sure he is getting enough to drink. I hate to give you advice against your vet, and things go wrong, but if it were me, and my cham didn't show any parasite infestation I wouldn't medicate for it. Medication brings in a whole other set of issues to deal with. I might do another fecal in the near future though if I still suspected parasites.

Agreed why give meds if it isn't needed. The ER vet I don't know at all so I'm not sure what she knows about reptiles. But when your normal vet is closed you don't have much choice and I don't wait around. Error on the side of caution. I will take another sample in and maybe just run it every couple of months. I wanted to check in here first.

Thanks JannB I know you have been through this lots.

Back
Top Bottom