Wow!!!!!!

fabos

says it all...

after 8 months of being lost my buddy's veiled was found!!! looking Great and Eating like b4!!

HOW IT HAPPENED
: He took the cage out one day to let his little guy get some sun when there stupid little dog ate up the cage. we figured the dog ate the chameleon, since the little guy was only about 8 months!

Where was he?
well the neighbors were trimming there trees and a "huge lizard fell off a branch! ran across the street to get my little brother to catch it! after catching it my brother called me and told me that there was a Veiled in the neighbors tree and that he got it, i had him send me a picture of him and sure enough its the same little guy that got away.

To add to it he lived through some Pretty bad weather!! the lowest temps that we hit was close to 30F and toped out around 110F!!! but this sucker is FATTTT so my guess is there was a good amount of food within these trees!!

Ill try to post a pic of him later!!

That's unbelievable but fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whooppee for your friend.

He is still alive? That is amazing! How is he doing health wise? What are you doing with the veiled now?

he is currently back inside his cage.. my friend had to go buy plants since he just had the cage sitting on the side of the house!! b4 my friend was able to get the chameleon i had my brother shower him and aloud him to relax. according to my brother who put him inside my Outside cage to let him mellow out told me he ate and drank plenty!

i live in south California, I'm about an hour east of LA...

i went and saw him last night and he is like 3 times the size that he was when he was lost! i am still shocked that the little guy is alive! I wonder what he was doing about food!

i live in south California, I'm about an hour east of LA...

i went and saw him last night and he is like 3 times the size that he was when he was lost! i am still shocked that the little guy is alive! I wonder what he was doing about food!

Bah, you live roughly in my area. Our weather is great for chameleons and a lot of keepers have them outdoors all year round. Congrats on getting it back!

i am still shocked that the little guy is alive! I wonder what he was doing about food!

UUhhh .... eating insects?

These are tough little animals ... I'm not surprised at all.
Yemen gets winter temps down into the 30's.

-Brad

What a an amazing story!

That really is an amazing story. Eight months???!!!! I can see how it would find plenty of food. But to escape whatever wild predator animals that might be cruising around. Or predator birds. What a lucky male! I would have a parasite check done on his doo doo just as a precaution. Please do post a picture of this male for us to see :)

what really suprised me is the fact that our neighborhood has been overrun by large field animals since the removed all the fields around us. we have alot of Hawks, raccons, mice, possums...

as for food im sure he was finding baby mice in the yard that he was in since its kinda messy! also had to be finding crickets and roaches! and the list would go on!!!

were just glad to have him back since he was our breeder male! When he was lost he was jsut starting to show color and when i recived a pic of him on my cell he has some of the brighest yellows!! Also a great thing that we found him becuase we didnt think we were going to be breeding again for a Long time since the only other male we knew of around that helped us breed sadly passed!!

That is great news. I know what it is like to lose a cham. My female panther was out for 2 days. I had no bottom in the cage but had dug an outline in the grass to make sure there was no gap. I dont know if a work buddy bumped the cage or what. But she was gone. I had to take of work 2 days. I finally found her 60 yards away up a locust tree. She had eggs a month after that. Turns out she mated with the male through his cage on her little escapade. I know have a bottom

Imagine how the local bugs must have felt ... Just crawling around like normal when suddenly WHAM they get hit by a tongue out of nowhere! I don't think their training as backyard pests prepared them for an encounter with a predator form the other side of the world!

were just glad to have him back since he was our breeder male! When he was lost he was jsut starting to show color and when i recived a pic of him on my cell he has some of the brighest yellows!! Also a great thing that we found him becuase we didnt think we were going to be breeding again for a Long time since the only other male we knew of around that helped us breed sadly passed!!

If you ever need another male to breed i've got one that's about 8 months old now. He's developing beautiful colors and i'd be glad to whore my male out ;)

I love these kinds of stories (i.e., the ones with happy endings).

I too lost my lil guy for about a day. Again, no bottom on the cage but a make shift screen contraption. He must have been eyeing it and when we went to work he made a break for it. He managed to scale down a stucco wall (below) and we found him in a bush sleeping because the sun had gone down. We're lucky we found him and he was lucky a big black crow or racoon that frequent the neighborhood did not find him first.

Attachments

• 800px-Stucco_wall.jpg
    800px-Stucco_wall.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 221
That really is an amazing story. Eight months???!!!! I can see how it would find plenty of food. But to escape whatever wild predator animals that might be cruising around. Or predator birds. What a lucky male! I would have a parasite check done on his doo doo just as a precaution. Please do post a picture of this male for us to see :)

Introduced species tend to thrive due to the lack of natural predators and competition over food (None of the other native reptiles can capture insects from almost a body length away). I don't know about you, but I make it a strict policy to not consume living food items that I'm not familar with. Predators are pretty hardwired to eat certain prey items and don't usually experiement.

I still think it's neat that the little survived considering it was probably captive bred. Also how short of a distance chameleons travel when they're wild.

I'm really happy for the little guy that the dog didn't get him originally. Guess the hawks and small animals never even saw him. Just another leaf to them. lol Now that's good!

Yemen gets winter temps down into the 30's.

Here in Vegas, we have crickets in our backyard year 'round. I just found a bunch the other day behind a piece of drywall and it was 25°F that night.

Heck, if they would keep the "waterbugs" under control, I wouldn't mind having a few outdoor cages. (Although, I wouldn't want to feed a cham that particular gutload diet!)

Congrats on finding the cham! That's way cool!

Back
Top Bottom