Worried about my yemen! help me!

Melvin

Hi I have a 5 month old yemmen, and befor he ate much more, i dont know if he eats less becuase he's a little bit older now, he's 5 months as I said. He's poo also looked strange today, the urine was almost water.. begore he always had white urine, but no its like water and a little orange, here's a picture!

He eats like 2 crickets every day, sometimes he eat a worm or a grasshopper. And sometimes he only eat 1 crick a day. Is is something wrong with him or is this usual?

Attachments

• DSC01276b.jpg
    DSC01276b.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 144
From the yellow in the poop I'd say he's dehydrated and at 5 months old he should be eating allot, like 10 or 12 feeders a day. Has he been checked for parasites? I would reccomend a vet visit and a fecal and do extra long very warm mistings to get him to drank until you can get him into the vets.

I agree with Beeze. It looks like your chameleon is dehydrated. Are his eyes sunk in at all? How do you offer him water - do you mist twice a day and run a dripper for him? A little orange/yellow on the tip of a urate is acceptable (that's the bit that's been in their body the longest and usually the first bit to be expelled), but to have the whole urate being orange like that is not good. Increase mistings and see if it helps.

Can we see a photo of him? That may help answer some questions about hydration, etc. I would like to compare a new photo to your other photos of him to see if there is a change.

You don't necessarily need the vet if your cham is dehydrated. Looks like he needs a probiotic and increased hydration.

Your guy just recently got off a course of antibiotics. Normally during a course of antibiotics it is best to increase hydration to help wash infection, etc., out of the body. Also, during a course of antibiotics, the good bacteria in the intestinal tract can be disturbed or wiped out. This is quite common, and the result is exactly what your cham appears to be going through based on what you said here. My guess is that he is recovering from some side affects of the antibiotic.

To increase his appetite I would recommend 2 things:

1. Good hydration. Just stay on it and try at least once a day to get him to actually drink while you are watching him do it.

2. Give him a probiotic to replace any good intestinal bacteria that may have been disturbed by the antibiotic. When the good bacteria cultures in his digestive tract are destroyed by antibiotics he will lose his appetite and have difficulty regaining it. He will also have difficulty digesting what he does eat. It is the same as for humans. When humans take a long course of antibiotics it is recommended they consume yogurt or acidopholis pills to replace the good bacteria that the antibiotic wipes out. My guess is that is what is going on with your guy. We keep probiotics on hand for our chams. The one we use is

Nutri-Bac%20bottle.jpg

Don't know if it is available in Sweden. If you cannot find a probiotic such as this I would call your vet's office and ask about one.

Hope this helps. Post a new photo if you can, and let us know if you find a probiotic and how he progresses.

I mist my cage 2 a day and i also have a dripper, i have never seen him drink.. but his poo just started to get yellow one week ago. Before that he always hade white urine. And he hasn't ate much at all as I got him. I have had him for four months, and he's always active and has no sunken eyes at all. Here's a picture of him when he's recently misted and his color is a bit dark because he didn't like it at all!

How hot should the water be that i mist him with? And at what range should I mist him? I don't think he needs a vet, because he look really healthy and he always has a nice color. But since the first day i got him he hasn't ate much. He maximum eats 3-5 crickets a day..

Attachments

• DSC01282.jpg
    DSC01282.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC01281.jpg
    DSC01281.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC01277.jpg
    DSC01277.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 107
How long has it been between the last urate and the one before that? Tommy always has a little orange bit on the end of his urate and he poops every few days. The longer the length of time betwen poops the more orange there is. I see him drink every time I mist and he drinks from a pipette too sometimes.

I never saw Lily drink when I misted the cage and I was concerned, but at her post mortem the vet said her kidnneys looked normal. I believe that they take in a little water as they breath in the humid air in their enclosure.

Edit: I mist with boiled water that has cooled. You should aim to have a warm mist when it hits the air. They much prefer a warm shower! Tommy hated it to start with - his last owner 'flicked water at him' rather than misted. He now enjoys his two mistings and sits there happily drinking!

Last edited:
Ok thank you very much :) Before he urate every day, but now it's been every 2nd or 3rd. i hope he'll be fine, i should problably go to the vet!

His photos do look good. You said in the first post here that before he ate much more than he does now. I would still go with the Nutribac and extra hydration. It never hurts to go to the vet, I guess, but I really do recommend that you discuss probiotics with him/her. Often it can be something as simple as that.

Can I buy nutribac in a store or do I need to get it from a vet? and nutribac will get his appetite back?

Do a google search......you should be able to buy it on line. I would still recommend a fecal if you have not had one lately.

Ok thank you very much. I Boiled some water today and started misting him, and he got all upset for 10 sec then he just stood ther and loved the hot shower! He just stood there for 5 minutes and after that he just turned around and stood there for five more minutes :) And I saw him drink all the time, It made me very happy to see him so relaxed!

I will post some new pictures on him in five minutes in the general discussion, please comment :) Thanks guys!

Careful not to burn him. I test the water on my arm to make sure it's the right temp before I mist my guys.

Back
Top Bottom