Won't lay eggs! HELP!

UVB light has to be linear in order for the chameleon to get enough UVB. The coil compact bulbs don't give enough and then the chameleon can develop MBD (metabolic bone disease). Basically their bones get weak and they don't have enough calcium to stay strong or in the case of girls, lay eggs properly.

This is why we're all worried for you and your girl. The person who gave the chameleon to you is giving you bad advice, sorry to say.

Show your mom the pics in the earlier post of the light bulbs. You'll need the new linear bulb and a new fixture for it to screw into.
Okay. Do I need a heat bulb as well or just the Linear UVB?

Okay. Do I need a heat bulb as well or just the Linear UVB?
Hi. You need a heat bulb as well as the linear uvb. You should have pretty easy access to Arcadia products, which are great and UK based. Posting a pic of a great light. The uvb strength should be 6%. In addition, Arcadia makes some supplements too. You’d need 3 different ones…Earth Pro A, Calcium Pro-Mg and Revitalise D3. I’ll attach the schedule for those below.
Unfortunately, many don’t realize how expensive it is to keep chameleons and there is so very much bad information out there and being passed along about improper ways to keep them. I don’t believe that your girl was just digging to check out the situation. It takes a lot of energy for them to dig and I don’t believe they would waste it if they weren’t ready to lay.
To help get your Mom’s help, do ask her for a few minutes and have her read thru this thread. You could also show her this. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/ Giving the paraffin will be about as helpful as it would to a human woman having trouble giving birth.
E9B3C143-36CA-4B30-974A-7B2B42D58E3A.jpeg B35CAD4F-4428-4096-AF35-0AAE07ACF892.jpeg

Hi. You need a heat bulb as well as the linear uvb. You should have pretty easy access to Arcadia products, which are great and UK based. Posting a pic of a great light. The uvb strength should be 6%. In addition, Arcadia makes some supplements too. You’d need 3 different ones…Earth Pro A, Calcium Pro-Mg and Revitalise D3. I’ll attach the schedule for those below.
Unfortunately, many don’t realize how expensive it is to keep chameleons and there is so very much bad information out there and being passed along about improper ways to keep them. I don’t believe that your girl was just digging to check out the situation. It takes a lot of energy for them to dig and I don’t believe they would waste it if they weren’t ready to lay.
To help get your Mom’s help, do ask her for a few minutes and have her read thru this thread. You could also show her this. https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/ Giving the paraffin will be about as helpful as it would to a human woman having trouble giving birth.
View attachment 311020View attachment 311021
I've gotten my mum to read this and she said that she will see what she can do. I'm just confused that I can't see or feel any eggs in her anymore and that she has stopped digging...

I've gotten my mum to read this and she said that she will see what she can do. I'm just confused that I can't see or feel any eggs in her anymore and that she has stopped digging...
Can you post some current pics of her? Did you check all of the sand to make sure there’s no eggs? I’ve Never been able to feel eggs in my girls. They aren’t hard like the chicken eggs that we know.

Can you post some current pics of her? Did you check all of the sand to make sure there’s no eggs? I’ve Never been able to feel eggs in my girls. They aren’t hard like the chicken eggs that we know.
I only have a photo of her from a few days ago when somehow she sucked her big belly in but i'll add it in anyway. I've checled twice for eggs and there is definitely none there. I was told they would feel like marbles in her lower belly and should be visible.

I only have a photo of her from a few days ago when somehow she sucked her big belly in but i'll add it in anyway. I've checled twice for eggs and there is definitely none there. I was told they would feel like marbles in her lower belly and should be visible.

Attachments

• 20210925_155655.jpg
    20210925_155655.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 69
So I have Tipsy out for a run about and it really doesn't look like she has eggs. Can anyone spot them? She is also able to run about and eat just fine. I'm just confused about why she would drain herself by digging.

Attachments

• 20210928_172331.jpg
    20210928_172331.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210928_172403.jpg
    20210928_172403.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 73
Well this starts to get confusing. The first pic from now is how my girl looks like at the moment, 1 week after she laid her eggs. However looking at the first pic from your thread, I could swear she has eggs. Didn’t she drop some in the meantime, during her digging cyclus?

Well this starts to get confusing. The first pic from now is how my girl looks like at the moment, 1 week after she laid her eggs. However looking at the first pic from your thread, I could swear she has eggs. Didn’t she drop some in the meantime, during her digging cyclus?
No. I've checked the entire floor of her cage. There are no eggs. Is it possible that they can be hidden? I can't think of any other reason as to why she could be digging. Although I've been giving her the wrong suppliments but I don't know of that has anything to do with it.

No. I've checked the entire floor of her cage. There are no eggs. Is it possible that they can be hidden? I can't think of any other reason as to why she could be digging. Although I've been giving her the wrong suppliments but I don't know of that has anything to do with it.
Because her cage is too small and not set up properly. Like I said before... If it is not right they will try to get out and find some place better. There are too many things that are off with her husbandry to narrow down to just one thing being the cause.

So if she is not holding developed eggs yet she will be. And if the husbandry is not right and this includes everything from temps, food intake, correct supplementation, proper cage size, and correct UVB lighting than you are looking at her having issues with laying in the future.

They are not easy animals to care for. Females specifically because of egg laying need their husbandry to be correct. Egg binding is serious and is very common.

I would just be guessing unfortunately. I can only they can camouflage extremely well! Mine lays her eggs in a bioactive and afterwards you want see a thing, the fully closed and covered up with even moss and leaves. The only time we knew she dug there, was that we’ve seen her sleeping in her hole during the night.

Because her cage is too small and not set up properly. Like I said before... If it is not right they will try to get out and find some place better. There are too many things that are off with her husbandry to narrow down to just one thing being the cause.

So if she is not holding developed eggs yet she will be. And if the husbandry is not right and this includes everything from temps, food intake, correct supplementation, proper cage size, and correct UVB lighting than you are looking at her having issues with laying in the future.

They are not easy animals to care for. Females specifically because of egg laying need their husbandry to be correct. Egg binding is serious and is very common.
I'm gonna drop how much I feed her and buy her the correct lighting and supplements. How much would a bigger tank cost? Just so I can get a rough idea. I'm also gonna buy her a better laying bin for the future too.

I would just be guessing unfortunately. I can only they can camouflage extremely well! Mine lays her eggs in a bioactive and afterwards you want see a thing, the fully closed and covered up with even moss and leaves. The only time we knew she dug there, was that we’ve seen her sleeping in her hole during the night.
She slept in her laying area too but I've checked that entire area and haven't found a thing.

I'm gonna drop how much I feed her and buy her the correct lighting and supplements. How much would a bigger tank cost? Just so I can get a rough idea. I'm also gonna buy her a better laying bin for the future too.
I have no idea how much it would be for you in Ireland. Your prices and what you have access to is going to be different than what we have here in the United States. Use google and do searches. You may have online reptile supply companies you can order from there.

And I can only agree with @Beman and I would take her advice for granted. Because you maybe escaped troubles this time, it soon will come if you don’t change husbandry, I’m sorry to say this. The people on this forum spent their free time to help you and others (including myself) for the best interest of the keeper and their animal, please keep that in mind. Here’s over 100 years of experience, so don’t doubt their advice ✌🏻

And I can only agree with @Beman and I would take her advice for granted. Because you maybe escaped troubles this time, it soon will come if you don’t change husbandry, I’m sorry to say this. The people on this forum spent their free time to help you and others (including myself) for the best interest of the keeper and their animal, please keep that in mind. Here’s over 100 years of experience, so don’t doubt their advice ✌🏻
I will. I trust her 100%. I understand how important it is that everything is correct for Tipsy so i'm gonna get her all the required things that she needs.

Back
Top Bottom