With this budget, what setup would you get

Hello all!

1st post, but I've been reading/lurking for awhile. I'm starting to plan out my setup for a long awaited chameleon! I 1st saw one in person when I was about 8 & now many decades later I'm in a position to be able to take care of one. Besides a cat & dog, we have a tortoise & 2 crested geckos.

I'm budgeting around $3000 to get started... this includes a juvenile panther chameleon, cage, lights, misting system, plants, stand for cage to keep out of cat's line of sight, vines/limbs...Everything.

What setup would you get & why? Have favorite products...name them please. Help me make this an awesome setup from the start. Also need recommendations for cham breeders.

Things I have: solarmeter, temp gun, good nurseries around, local pet stores but they generally only have superworms & crickets

Thanks in advance!!!
Hi there! So I would recommend the following:
-mistking misting system
-Dragonstrand keeper series enclosure with dragonledges and drainage pan (get an atrium if you want the biggest enclosure they’ve got lol but not necessary for a panther)
-a nice rack to set it all on
-Arcadia fixture and UVB bulb
-Solarmeter
-Temp Gun
-hygrometer

If you go living wall with mostly pothos and the solid green leaf variation of the umbrella you may be able to get away with the 21 and 22 together. Not sure if it will penetrate deep enough into a thick umbrella to keep from dropping lower leafs though. I think two 22's split like planned would get you there safely. If you do led / 21 the uvb would go in the 21 yes. If you go two 22's you could run two uvb if you wanted to. I'm running two in my 46 placed in the second back and fifth back slots for better coverage.
Awesome, you have no idea how much you've helped!

After realizing 7.5 inches is pretty small compared to the 24 inch cage I figured it would be much better overall if I were to go with the two 22's. This way I can get better coverage and deeper penetration.. right? Unless there's something I'm missing and there's a better option lol, in which case please let me know. (I'm still a little bit confused on whether the 6500k plant light is better or worse than the LED)

Once again, thank you so much!

Hi there! So I would recommend the following:
-mistking misting system
-Dragonstrand keeper series enclosure with dragonledges and drainage pan (get an atrium if you want the biggest enclosure they’ve got lol but not necessary for a panther)
-a nice rack to set it all on
-Arcadia fixture and UVB bulb
-Solarmeter
-Temp Gun
-hygrometer

Thanks - I know this is a long thread with lots of detours, but I've already decided on the DS clearside atrium (Bigger is better with a male panther!) & already have a solarmeter and temp gun. I use digital hygrometers/thermometers with my reptiles already & will buy a 2 pack for the chameleon. As for lights, the wonderful @dshuld is working on an LED option for me, otherwise I will go with a 4 light HO T5 growlight & UVB system with built in timers. I'm going to use a wire shelving unit - 1/2 height to set it on & my dad & I are working on a nifty drainage system. I will probably use a tension rod with some home sewn curtains for aesthetics. I have many talents now - plumbing, electrical, multi-animal husbandry, home ec, etc! I have an extensive plant list & will get a mixture of manzanita, vines, and local (non-ash because of the emerald ash bore beetle epidemic) wood branches to make plenty of roadways with a variation of the "living wall" for a backdrop.

For feeders I plan on using what I use for my crested geckos: crickets, hornworms, superwoms - all gutloaded using crested gecko powder (might find another base gutloader as this is $$$)
, spirulina & bee pollen as well as fresh veggies & oranges for moisture.
New food sources: silkworms - might try hatching from eggs as I have an incubator from raising parrots; BSFL
NO DUBIA - I cannot do roaches of any kind!

It's nice to summarize where we are so far!

Now stop it or I'm going to just keep posting things here that are totally unrelated to your thread :geek:
Ok - feel free to hijack away...I can always steer us back! :p:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Thanks - I know this is a long thread with lots of detours, but I've already decided on the DS clearside atrium (Bigger is better with a male panther!) & already have a solarmeter and temp gun. I use digital hygrometers/thermometers with my reptiles already & will buy a 2 pack for the chameleon. As for lights, the wonderful @dshuld is working on an LED option for me, otherwise I will go with a 4 light HO T5 growlight & UVB system with built in timers. I'm going to use a wire shelving unit - 1/2 height to set it on & my dad & I are working on a nifty drainage system. I will probably use a tension rod with some home sewn curtains for aesthetics. I have many talents now - plumbing, electrical, multi-animal husbandry, home ec, etc! I have an extensive plant list & will get a mixture of manzanita, vines, and local (non-ash because of the emerald ash bore beetle epidemic) wood branches to make plenty of roadways with a variation of the "living wall" for a backdrop.

For feeders I plan on using what I use for my crested geckos: crickets, hornworms, superwoms - all gutloaded using crested gecko powder (might find another base gutloader as this is $$$)
, spirulina & bee pollen as well as fresh veggies & oranges for moisture.
New food sources: silkworms - might try hatching from eggs as I have an incubator from raising parrots; BSFL
NO DUBIA - I cannot do roaches of any kind!

It's nice to summarize where we are so far!

Ok - feel free to hijack away...I can always steer us back! :p:LOL::ROFLMAO:
You’re going to want roaches, besides silkworms, the’re the healthiest option, and there’s so many to choose from

Back
Top Bottom