With this budget, what setup would you get

Yes, they definitely are usable bulbs. They are just heavy on blue and I couldn't find much info on them for performance when I looked around 4ish year ago lol. From what I recall Geissmann tropic were the leader for par in 6500k then the ge starcoat. I think there was a 20 or 40 point difference between the two but don't remember exact numbers atm. The ge wins out purely from price point though with the "minimal" gain in performance considering the geisemann bulbs average $20 a bulb vs the $3/$4 of the ge last I saw.
Nice to know, thank you so much!!

I think my last question now is, where did you find the starcoat for only $3-$4? I NEED a link!

This is "sketch 1" that I did for the vero for a rough idea. Basically you would use either 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/8 or 1 x 1 x 1/8 aluminum angle to make a frame to support the heatsinks. The frame would then be suspended above the enclosure like the t5ho fixtures would be. You can buy "commercial" frames that would give it "nicer" look similar to the aquatic life linked earlier but for the price angle aluminum can be painted black and look pretty decent.

So I watched the video - building the frame doesn't seem all that hard. I could probably do it myself if I had all the tools & the space. But from the picture, you only need to build a frame for the LED grow lights, right? Then you buy a fixture for 1 UVB bulb & a fixture/bulb for a basking spot. Am I thinking about this correctly?

In essence, you are building an LED grow light, buying a single bulb UVB light. So what components do I need to build the LED grow light? The parts to build the frame - and it would be a 1 x 4 frame? what else? Where can I get them? What is the benefit of the LED over standard fluorescent? I'm assuming they last longer...

Please correct me if I'm not comprehending this well or overthinking it.

Nice to know, thank you so much!!

I think my last question now is, where did you find the starcoat for only $3-$4? I NEED a link!

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/2...CbqGUxLW5D-FEmq3zoSEI7abngr6PMVRoCisQQAvD_BwE

So I watched the video - building the frame doesn't seem all that hard. I could probably do it myself if I had all the tools & the space. But from the picture, you only need to build a frame for the LED grow lights, right? Then you buy a fixture for 1 UVB bulb & a fixture/bulb for a basking spot. Am I thinking about this correctly?

In essence, you are building an LED grow light, buying a single bulb UVB light. So what components do I need to build the LED grow light? The parts to build the frame - and it would be a 1 x 4 frame? what else? Where can I get them? What is the benefit of the LED over standard fluorescent? I'm assuming they last longer...

Please correct me if I'm not comprehending this well or overthinking it.

Correct not really to hard to make the frame at all. Cob, heatsink, holder, reflector if wanted, screws, thermal tape, wire, driver/s, drill bits, thread tap set depending on heatsink. You can get prebuilt cob/ heatsinks from cobkits.com for $65 each for the 4000k citizen 1818 if you wanted to save yourself that part of the build. https://cobkits.com/product/clu048-1818-active-light-engine-single/

Benefits, they last years and years with very little spectrum shift vs flourescent needing replaced every 6 mounths to a year to maintain spectrum. They also direct the light down very well vs the 360° output of the flourescent that then has to be reflected back down from the topside. That is why the single reflector fixtures aren't efficient because most of the reflected light bounces into another bulb rather then going down.

Take the pool bulbs for instance. It is 3900~4100 lumens and uses 40w wall power to deliver that light. It is about half as efficient as the 1818 cob seems to be. A dual t5ho fixture is ~48w and gives about the same amount of lumens give or take, 3560-4200. Yet the pool bulbs are noticeably "brighter" then the dual t5ho deeper down then the t5ho can go. For instance here is a dual t5ho with one t5ho flourescent bulb and an Arcadia freshwater pro led tube vs a single ecosmart 17w bulb vs a single 40w pool bulb.

Screenshot_2018-10-12-19-46-47.png Screenshot_2018-10-12-19-46-24.png Screenshot_2018-10-12-19-50-21.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-12-19-50-21.png
    Screenshot_2018-10-12-19-50-21.png
    750.8 KB · Views: 124
Well, the fewer fluorescents I have the better - I get horrible migraines & fluros tend to make them worse. LEDs not as bad & definitely don't trigger them.

And the benefit to LED is they last 10-15 years? So instead of replacing 4 lights per year, I'm only replacing 1 - the UVB

You got it :D. For the $30 they cost, the pool bulbs are pretty awesome. They go into a standard screw in type fixture. On something like what @TheLetterAfterP(Q) is working on with lower light plants that don't flower, two of the pool bulbs and a sunblaze 22 would probably be nice for a easy no fuss setup.

The down side is they aren't as efficient at using the power to make the light they produce as the citizen 1818. Less cost up front for sure but getting 2/3 the light for ~5w more power vs a tad more upfront cost of the 1818 build.

Screenshot_2018-10-12-19-40-42.png

You got it :D. For the $30 they cost, the pool bulbs are pretty awesome. They go into a standard screw in type fixture. On something like what @TheLetterAfterP(Q) is working on with lower light plants that don't flower, two of the pool bulbs and a sunblaze 22 would probably be nice for a easy no fuss setup.

The down side is they aren't as efficient at using the power to make the light they produce as the citizen 1818. Less cost up front for sure but getting 2/3 the light for ~5w more power vs a tad more upfront cost of the 1818 build.

I am teachable!!!! My dad will have me constructing this thing next. That's when I tell him I'm making a living wall & building the cage, dealing with bugs...he needs to play with electricity :ROFLMAO:

I am teachable!!!! My dad will have me constructing this thing next. That's when I tell him I'm making a living wall & building the cage, dealing with bugs...he needs to play with electricity :ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, cool cool, I'll work on a parts list over the weekend. Did the 4000k look white enough for you in that pic? They do have 5700k and 6500k available too but they would need to be supplemented with the yellower ones in that pic for the flowering plants.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, cool cool, I'll work on a parts list over the weekend. Did the 4000k look white enough for you in that pic? They do have 5700k and 6500k available too but they would need to be supplemented with the yellower ones in that pic for the flowering plants.
Yeah, they look white enough in the pic - it looks great!

And the benefit to LED is they last 10-15 years? So instead of replacing 4 lights per year, I'm only replacing 1 - the UVB
I like the sound of this, and the lights look great! In the second slot of the 22 what would I put? Another plant light or uvb?

Thank you all for all your help, this site is amazing

I bought a few plants today - a local nursery was having a sale :oops:
codiaeum variegatum (croton) x 5 multiple colorations
Gardenia Jasminoides
Phaleonopsis orchid – might not put in, but leave as a desk decoration for me
Hibiscus – 3 small plants with double blooming flowers
Columnea arguta - Goldfish Plant x 1
Dracaena deremensis 'Dorado' - 4" Pot x 1
Chlorophytum comosum 'Spider Plant' (Grower's Choice) x1
Peperomia 'Pepperspot' x 1
Bromeliads: Neoregelia x 3 (2 different color variations)

They also had a supplier for driftwood/manzanita - I have some longer pieces coming in for CHEAP!

I like the sound of this, and the lights look great! In the second slot of the 22 what would I put? Another plant light or uvb?

Thank you all for all your help, this site is amazing

Well, you have a couple options really. T5ho led replacement tubes or standard t5ho like the ge bulb I linked to. I'm not overly impressed with the freshwater pro 24" but the 36" isn't to bad. Over priced though realistically. There is also isunlight agroled 5500k. It is made by sunlight supply, rated as 21w for 2400+ lumens but some disappointing reviews on it from what I've seen.

What I would probably do if you're going a 22 and pool bulbs is run the 22 on the back side of the cage. Plant bulb back slot, uvb front slot, basking light and pool bulb/s in a row in front of that and adjust to get the light fill you like. One thing I will caution you on, the fans blow down. Keep it 2+ inches off the top and check temps below. This isn't a bad thing necessarily and I'd be interested in knowing how your cham reacts to the bulb...aka does it bask under it rather then the designated basking bulb.

That is the "bonus" effect I've seen with Lola on the ones above her cage. She actually preferred basking under them vs the normal basking bulb so I pulled the normal basking bulb back off. As mentioned before though, she's the only one that has them here so far so I'm not saying to start off that way at all. But, your chams reactions can be added to my experiences if you went that route.

Last edited:
I bought a few plants today - a local nursery was having a sale :oops:
codiaeum variegatum (croton) x 5 multiple colorations
Gardenia Jasminoides
Phaleonopsis orchid – might not put in, but leave as a desk decoration for me
Hibiscus – 3 small plants with double blooming flowers
Columnea arguta - Goldfish Plant x 1
Dracaena deremensis 'Dorado' - 4" Pot x 1
Chlorophytum comosum 'Spider Plant' (Grower's Choice) x1
Peperomia 'Pepperspot' x 1
Bromeliads: Neoregelia x 3 (2 different color variations)

They also had a supplier for driftwood/manzanita - I have some longer pieces coming in for CHEAP!

Nice on the score for manzanita. I'm still working on getting @Matt Vanilla Gorilla to gather me some up off his property. Hoping for a full plant or two if we can manage :LOL:. He could probably start a fairly lucrative side business with it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. I love manzanita and ghostwood look but it's bloody expensive here for tiny pieces. The contorted willow from hobby lobby isn't to bad when it's on sale too.

The wood itself is cheap, it's the shipping! This guy goes out west once a month & drives it back with other plants. His shipping is built in!

Ok - this is probably a silly question...but are there reliable UVB LEDs? I know that there are some out there but the wavelength is not appropriate for reptiles & calcium remodeling/digestion, though they try to market them as such... that was a couple of years ago though. Do we have any technological advancements on that end?

The wood itself is cheap, it's the shipping! This guy goes out west once a month & drives it back with other plants. His shipping is built in!

Ok - this is probably a silly question...but are there reliable UVB LEDs? I know that there are some out there but the wavelength is not appropriate for reptiles & calcium remodeling/digestion, though they try to market them as such... that was a couple of years ago though. Do we have any technological advancements on that end?

Sadly not yet.

Take a peak at this one. They usually have pieces up into the several hundred plus shipping range lol. Some would make awesome focal points in tanks if I still had them up and running :(.

https://www.manzanitadirect.com/

Edit: something like these would make awesome moss tree placed upside down :D.
Screenshot_2018-10-12-21-50-44.png

Back
Top Bottom