With this budget, what setup would you get

Did the 4000k look white enough for you in that pic? They do have 5700k and 6500k available too but they would need to be supplemented with the yellower ones in that pic for the flowering plants.
I'm not 100% sure which picture the 4000k is, the last one? (It looks nice) The one you posted about on Amazon was 6500k,would this be good for me, or does the 4000k work best? Either way, what fixture would you use for one of these bulbs?

Correct, two 22's will definitely get you better penetration with the additional bulb. Not to confuse you even more but, bulb selection can make a difference too though lol. The sunblaze comes with very blue heavy bulbs, not bad bulbs at all but last I looked them up not much info about them. For 6500k t5ho I prefer ge starcoats though ( F24W/T5/865/ECO for the 24" fixtures). They have crazy par numbers per the reefers despite lowish lumens and can be found insanely cheap online. However, before you buy two 22' let me read a bit more on the citizen cobs today/ tonight. From what I was seeing last night I think the 1818 is looking like a nice replacement. To put it in context, average output for a 2 ft 24w t5ho bulb is ~1750/ 2100 lumens, at 25w the 1818 cob is putting out double that and focusing it all generally speaking, down :cool:. http://ledgardener.com/comparison-lumen-output-common-wattages/#more-1412 So let me keep reading up on them as I have time to look at but I may rework all my cages with these too :D.

I agree with everything posted with the exception of the "arcadia" fixtures. Mistking will remain off my radar but that is for personal reasons and nothing that would cause me to not recommend them beyond it. As to the "arcadia" fixtures, singles, be it lyr or places like reptile basics, are rebranded sunblaze/ sun blaster products from everything I've seen and know of the lights themselves. Great products and worth it just not at lyr pricing for it. Sunblaze carries a 5 yr warranty, sun blaster carries a 1 yr warranty, both made by Sunlight Supply inc which is now part of Hawthorne Gardening. Biggest differences beyond warranty between the sun blaze supreme 21 and the sun blaster are reflector style and end caps to prevent the light spill the sun blaster suffers from on the supreme. The dual and quad tube fixtures as has been mentioned in the fb groups are rebranded odyssea fixtures that are not efficient at transferring light with the single reflector for all tubes. Todd has even posted the proof himself as to why those fixtures aren't worth the money for them on top of horribly short warranty period.

Coming from planted tanks, I've seen threads with issues from those fixtures that surprisingly isn't really mentioned in this hobby much. Early versions catching on fire, ballasts and timers going out to quickly... Sadly with the short warranty you're left buying more parts to fix it or scraping it and going with a better fixture afterwards. With as expensive as this hobby already is it just doesn't make sense to me to cheap out on the fixture when a better one can be had, in some cases for less, then the odyssea depending on where you get it. I do love the arcadia uvb bulbs though and whole heartedly agree with you on using them.

I appreciate your feedback, I honestly haven’t tried too many fixtures so I will be looking into the ones you’ve mentioned! I actually use Odyssea fixtures but I keep hearing that the ballasts burn out often. The two I have work beautifully though! I’m hoping I don’t have any issues with them.

I'm not 100% sure which picture the 4000k is, the last one? (It looks nice) The one you posted about on Amazon was 6500k,would this be good for me, or does the 4000k work best? Either way, what fixture would you use for one of these bulbs?

The whiter ones in this pic are the 4000k 1818.
Screenshot_2018-10-12-12-52-59-1-1.png

This is the 6500k pool bulb.

Screenshot_2018-10-12-19-50-21.png

The pool bulb will screw into which ever dome light you prefer if you want a "less fuss" setup and go type deal with about half the output of the single 1818. Still, they are pretty dang bright none the less lol.

I appreciate your feedback, I honestly haven’t tried too many fixtures so I will be looking into the ones you’ve mentioned! I actually use Odyssea fixtures but I keep hearing that the ballasts burn out often. The two I have work beautifully though! I’m hoping I don’t have any issues with them.

For people like you or me that have a larger then "normal" collection it makes more sense to use the light and power as efficiently as possible. Also to not have to worry as much about the equipment we're using failing. I really wasn't trying to come off as an ass though it may have read that way lol.

I know at one point you had asked about keeping hibiscus inside, I think without having to swap plants around. Lola's cage has been a "running" experiment on doing that which is how I landed on the pool bulbs. Though I think now I'll be swapping the three pool bulbs out for a pair of the 1818's which from everything I've found would nearly double the light available to the hibiscus for the same watts used. Three pool bulbs, 2 6500k and 1 3500k have kept the two in her cage alive and blooming but now it's time to replicate it more efficiently :D.

I think my thread has turned into lighting central! That's cool...can never know too much about lighting!

Lol it kind of has, sorry about that. I'll be working on your parts list today off and on. Have a few things I need to get done this weekend in prep for some new additions coming :D.

Lol it kind of has, sorry about that. I'll be working on your parts list today off and on. Have a few things I need to get done this weekend in prep for some new additions coming :D.

I love the color of the 400k 1818s! Dont apologize for sharing your lighting passion!

I think the entire ongoing thread is important (at least I hope) for people to see how much planning & what a higher end budget looks like.

I also love that the entire process is captured in 1 thread & you better believe I will be posting pics along the way as things come in /get set up!

The whiter ones in this pic are the 4000k 1818.
View attachment 215590

This is the 6500k pool bulb.

View attachment 215591

The pool bulb will screw into which ever dome light you prefer if you want a "less fuss" setup and go type deal with about half the output of the single 1818. Still, they are pretty dang bright none the less lol.
Sweet, the 4000k 1818 looks great, I bet it would do a cage justice! How much do you think a complete setup for one would cost? I also really like the 6500k pool bulb, is there only one in that picture?!? If so WOW. That's bright!:wideyed:

Two very good options!! Which do I choose??:rolleyes:

Ok...I think I might be going a little crazy.

My DS atrium wont be shipping until Dec. My supplies are shipping now & my cham can ship whenever. I'm thinking of buying a DYI screen cage, setting it up with the mist king & getting some led pool lights & an Arcadia T5 uvb, getting my cham who is small now & then when the DS comes in getting it set up with all the bells & whistles & then transferring the cham & plants which will be bigger.

Am I insane?

Ok...I think I might be going a little crazy.

My DS atrium wont be shipping until Dec. My supplies are shipping now & my cham can ship whenever. I'm thinking of buying a DYI screen cage, setting it up with the mist king & getting some led pool lights & an Arcadia T5 uvb, getting my cham who is small now & then when the DS comes in getting it set up with all the bells & whistles & then transferring the cham & plants which will be bigger.

Am I insane?
Just a little. Insanity will creep in the first time you see your chameleon eat.

Sweet, the 4000k 1818 looks great, I bet it would do a cage justice! How much do you think a complete setup for one would cost? I also really like the 6500k pool bulb, is there only one in that picture?!? If so WOW. That's bright!:wideyed:

Two very good options!! Which do I choose??:rolleyes:

Working on pricing the parts now. Yes that is one 6500k pool bulb in the middle of Lola's 30×18×30 exo terra.

Check Craigslist for a used cage if you want to do a temp cage. 20+% peroxide (sally beauty supply hair bleach agent), chlorhexidine soap (antiseptic skin cleanser from walgreens or cvs) should kill most anything that may be on it.

Edit: clean with each separately
I have - these people are more crazy than me! They want almost full price for a SMALL exo terra

Parts list coming shortly. Have to transfer my cart to a list lol. Building the light engines yourself,4 cob build: first engine is $61.75, second through fourth engines come in at $50.75 each, plus shipping. Driver for the 4 cobs is $84.10, ships free from different supplier. Without shipping on the engines, supplies for the frame and power cord from wall to driver total is 298.10.

2 cob build: first engine is $61.25, second is $50.75, plus shipping. Driver is is $46.57 ships free from different supplier. Like above, minus those other supplies and shipping total is $158.75

Parts list coming shortly. Have to transfer my cart to a list lol. Building the light engines yourself,4 cob build: first engine is $61.75, second through fourth engines come in at $50.75 each, plus shipping. Driver for the 4 cobs is $84.10, ships free from different supplier. Without shipping on the engines, supplies for the frame and power cord from wall to driver total is 298.10.

2 cob build: first engine is $61.25, second is $50.75, plus shipping. Driver is is $46.57 ships free from different supplier. Like above, minus those other supplies and shipping total is $158.75

So which do I need for my large atrium? The 4?

I did just buy a smaller temp cage - doing the pool LEDs and an arcadia 6% UVB bulb

Back
Top Bottom