With this budget, what setup would you get

I'm on the road to Nashville exotic animal expo (not coming home with any new friends!) But I will take a look at these when I get home!

This is the one I would use. I would only use 1 UVB bulb and 3 6500k bulbs for plants.
Why isnt 2 6% UVBs acceptable in such a large fixture/enclosure? I recall a somewhat recent thread where this was discussed, I’ll try to find it...

Not being argumentative, just trying to understand. UVB is admittedly my weak point when it comes to husbandry.

Why isnt 2 6% UVBs acceptable in such a large fixture/enclosure? I recall a somewhat recent thread where this was discussed, I’ll try to find it...

Not being argumentative, just trying to understand. UVB is admittedly my weak point when it comes to husbandry.

Oh, not that it would be unacceptable, just how I would do it. If using 2 in a quad fixture I think it could be overkill, but that's just my opinion. With a SolarMeter (which I think she already has) you could see if needed, but I am just considering the cost factor. One idea would be to start with 1 UVB and 6 months from now add another so you could alternate the intensity and spread the cost over time. Wait, now that is my moment of brilliance for the day!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
Not Worthy.gif

That would ensure even levels of UVB all year and not have really strong levels for only part of the time. I would place the UVB at the outside positions so there would be better reflection down into the enclosure.

Looking at your post name. I was worried you were going to say like 300 dollars. Lol thats hands down a handsome starter budget. Id even say you probably wont even need that much to get everything you need as long as you look for good prices

Even so, id say 300 max for an adult sized cage. If you go dragon strand. And even 100 for a basic reptibreeze. Which i honestly have nothing against. They worked for me. But i myseld upgraded to dragon strand.

Another 200 to 300 for enclosure vines, plants, branches. 150 max on mister. 20 to 40 depending on which uvb bulb you go for linear best choice. 120 on the fixtures both uvb and basking.

Feeders are a constant purchases, unless you can breed them. All amouts are obviously estimates. But with that budget you can def go for whatever you like.

Oh, not that it would be unacceptable, just how I would do it. If using 2 in a quad fixture I think it could be overkill, but that's just my opinion. With a SolarMeter (which I think she already has) you could see if needed, but I am just considering the cost factor. One idea would be to start with 1 UVB and 6 months from now add another so you could alternate the intensity and spread the cost over time. Wait, now that is my moment of brilliance for the day!!! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:
View attachment 215094
That would ensure even levels of UVB all year and not have really strong levels for only part of the time. I would place the UVB at the outside positions so there would be better reflection down into the enclosure.

Really interesting points to consider here...

Looking at your post name. I was worried you were going to say like 300 dollars. Lol thats hands down a handsome starter budget. Id even say you probably wont even need that much to get everything you need as long as you look for good prices

Even so, id say 300 max for an adult sized cage. If you go dragon strand. And even 100 for a basic reptibreeze. Which i honestly have nothing against. They worked for me. But i myseld upgraded to dragon strand.

Another 200 to 300 for enclosure vines, plants, branches. 150 max on mister. 20 to 40 depending on which uvb bulb you go for linear best choice. 120 on the fixtures both uvb and basking.

Feeders are a constant purchases, unless you can breed them. All amouts are obviously estimates. But with that budget you can def go for whatever you like.

$300...that's funny! I hope to come in under budget, but I also want to have a top notch setup that will last the life of my baby boy. Too many times I've seen (and been guilty of) skimping on important things that end up getting replaced sooner & end up costing more. Do it right the 1st time is my motto...doesn't mean you can't get good deals!

I'm really confused about misting systems. I know I want a mist king & have been watching videos on them. I figured I would get the base model...a couple of the screen corner things & be done. But I'm seeing videos that you need right angle elbows to go around the cage & different nozzles & extra tubing...

I like need a diagram to figure out what to get. I emailed mist king & told them what setup I was getting & they suggested the ultimate kit w 3 corner screen things. I still don't know what else I would need.

If anyone is wanting a cool job...helping newbies by designing ,listing layouts would be one of them. I'm lost!!!

I'm really confused about misting systems. I know I want a mist king & have been watching videos on them. I figured I would get the base model...a couple of the screen corner things & be done. But I'm seeing videos that you need right angle elbows to go around the cage & different nozzles & extra tubing...

I like need a diagram to figure out what to get. I emailed mist king & told them what setup I was getting & they suggested the ultimate kit w 3 corner screen things. I still don't know what else I would need.

If anyone is wanting a cool job...helping newbies by designing ,listing layouts would be one of them. I'm lost!!!
That should be it, the ultimate kit and 3 wedges. And the Mistking don’t come with a resovior so you’ll need one of those too. A regular storage tote will do.

Pro tip- this is not required but I defanitly reccomend it. Get an extra 1/4” T, two 1/4” ball valves, and about 10-15’ of extra 1/4” hose. Splice the T into the main line between the pump and 1st nozzle. Put the first ball valve between the T you just installed and the first nozzle. Now connect your extra lengt of 1/4” hose to the T you just installed. Install the second ball valve on the end of the extra hose. What your doing is making your mist king pull double duty as both a mister and garden hose, really comes in handy when cleaning out your viv. Just close the ball valve going to your nozzles and open the one on the end of the hose and your good to go!
A69B01A0-12CD-4D2D-9E10-C2A9DCE58DFA.jpeg

Thanks Brodybreaux25 that diagram helps! Would it also be beneficial to also get another bulkhead and tubing to go into a collection container? I need to keep lids on things because of cat & dog. Would it be possible to put a ball valve on it so I can close drainage while I'm emptying, or is it even necessary?

But before we get to that point what are you doing with the bottom of your viv? Bioactive? Bare floor? Did you purchase any of the Dragon Strand trays to go with it?

Last edited:
But before we get to that point what are you doing with the bottom of your viv? Bioactive? Bare floor? Did you purchase any of the Dragon Strand trays to go with it?

I haven't bought anything yet - have to wait for the $$ to come in from my last side job...will be sometime this week. I'm in an apartment now & once I finish grad school could be moving. I'm thinking of doing something like this right now - maybe a planted bioactive later once I get a house. I would get the drainage style tray as part of my setup, I'm thinking.

https://www.facebook.com/dragonstrand/photos/pcb.1094959937304427/1094959017304519/?type=3&theater

I absolutely reccomend a drainage line with a valve on the end but I would not reccomend using Mistking fittings, use 1/2” pvc or a hose to prevent blockages.
Good to know - SO GLAD I STARTED THIS THREAD!!!! I'm learning so much before I spend money and make mistakes!!!!! Thanks to everyone who is sharing their knowledge & letting me pick their brains!

Back
Top Bottom