winter weather

Texas Panther Man

Well just checking on my fellow forum members. Has anyone been stranded by this winter blast we got this week? Anyone lost power for an extended period of time? We just got blasted by the wind and cold but we've gotten no rain or ice thank god.

We just got hit with lots of ice overnight after the snowstorm the day before, now it's back to a snowing blizzard. Stark County, OH has almost 50,000 people out of power up to a few days maybe. More all throughout ohio columbus area, and parts cuyahoga county. It's feeling Arctic time to find the generators.

Burrrrr

Im out side DFW area Texas. We are covered in Ice up here. School has been closed 2 days. All my work has been cancled. Which wont help me save for the show next weekend.:mad: Also we have been having rolling blackouts. Texas is using too much power. Mine just came back on. It was off for about 35 minutes. But ive heard it is going to keep doing this:mad:. I hope not. My outdoor koi pond is frozen solid. I could stand on it if I wanted too. Of course Im not;).
This is our Koi Ponds. And No that is NOT snow. Its ICE.
WinterFeb2011003.jpg

WinterFeb2011004.jpg

Well we went to the beach on Saturday because it was warm, then Sunday it started raining. Yesterday was snowboarding day in the mountains, and now were a cool 62 degrees. I love California.

Tex Ranger, Did you lose all your Koi? Ive heard those can be some big $$$ fish. What the hell do you do if your pond freezes? Put em in a rubbermade tank in the garage?

Tex Ranger, Did you lose all your Koi? Ive heard those can be some big $$$ fish. What the hell do you do if your pond freezes? Put em in a rubbermade tank in the garage?

They can actually survive in the ice water as long as the whole pond doesn't freeze over. Their motabolism slows down. I've owned Koi before too.

Thats amazing. I lost about 1500.00 worth of fish and corals about 10yrs ago because of an ice storm we had in Houston. I was sick also at the same time so it was a nitemare. We lost our power for 3 days my house got down to 40 deg inside the home. :eek: Thats cool that koi can survive in that kind of cold enviroment.

:( I am so sick of winter :( We don't lose power for to long here most of the time (in the last 3 years the longest was like 4 hours), but we have a few backup propane heaters just in case.

Well, here in central Michigan, we have over a foot of snow easily! I planned ahead of time on not going to work, we live in the boonies. Stocked up on essentials, and played in the snow with my four yr old. Thought I would have a heart attack trying to pull her on a sled, "Come on Mom, pull!" Our roads had drifts well over 4 ft high. Can't wait till spring!

Attachments

• january 2011--snow pics 018.jpg
    january 2011--snow pics 018.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 127
  • january 2011--snow pics 020.jpg
    january 2011--snow pics 020.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 124
They can actually survive in the ice water as long as the whole pond doesn't freeze over. Their motabolism slows down. I've owned Koi before too.

Yep. They will be fine. You stop feeding them when the water hits 55 degrees. And they go into hybernation. They lay at the bottom like little frozen fish sticks.lol. I just have to poke holes in the ice for gas exchange. We are more worried about the filtter systems than the fish.

I poke holes in it for gas exchange. They are fine. They just hybernate. And yes they can/are very expensive. One 20 year old female won Grand champion last spring and sold for 1.5 million $. Shocking I know.

We've had rolling power outtages to handle the demand and I didn't know that's what was happening so when it went out this morning at my house I was freaking out that it was 19 degrees outside and I had no heat on any of my lizards or turtles! I was about to pack everyone up and haul them all to school with me! Luckily it came back on before I left.

Well, here in central Michigan, we have over a foot of snow easily! I planned ahead of time on not going to work, we live in the boonies. Stocked up on essentials, and played in the snow with my four yr old. Thought I would have a heart attack trying to pull her on a sled, "Come on Mom, pull!" Our roads had drifts well over 4 ft high. Can't wait till spring!

Those are beautiful pics of your home and yard. I'm glad I deal with snow only when I want to, lol.

Sounds like everyone is tired of Winter, but's it's my favorite season!

We've had rolling power outtages to handle the demand and I didn't know that's what was happening so when it went out this morning at my house I was freaking out that it was 19 degrees outside and I had no heat on any of my lizards or turtles! I was about to pack everyone up and haul them all to school with me! Luckily it came back on before I left.

Oh dang, that could be a huge problem! Glad it worked out.

I had some chameleons due to be delivered yesterday and today. Luckily I was able to catch the seller before they shipped out.

Well we went to the beach on Saturday because it was warm, then Sunday it started raining. Yesterday was snowboarding day in the mountains, and now were a cool 62 degrees. I love California.

Next time I am down to California, you are toast!! I moved from there (mission Viejo) to here in Montana. i have about 22 to 26 inches of snow in my yard and the high here yesterday was -33. Today is a balmy 10 but it is 10 above zero. Any way you look at it, you face certain death by an "older' lady -- your a$$ is mine sucker.:D:D:eek::eek::p get ready, let your fear take over.

Its been crappy since December in WV. It will snow, then warm up for a day or two and start to melt it, then snow and be cold for weeks and then the same. Im ready for it to get out of here already.

Back
Top Bottom