winter weather

Here in central Texas half the water pipes in my house are frozen. Forgot to dribble the water. I have an old TX style home made of wood on pier and beam foundation. The crawl space under the house is too large to heat & get things thawing and it's only covered with lattice. One bathroom, the tub, toilet, and sink are frozen (hot & cold water), no hot water in kitchen, only in second bathroom. I dread to see the spraying water and leaks when it thaws. Even colder tonight!

Last edited:
Next time I am down to California, you are toast!! I moved from there (mission Viejo) to here in Montana. i have about 22 to 26 inches of snow in my yard and the high here yesterday was -33. Today is a balmy 10 but it is 10 above zero. Any way you look at it, you face certain death by an "older' lady -- your a$$ is mine sucker.:D:D:eek::eek::p get ready, let your fear take over.

Lmao! It was a little toasty last week too. You should move back! Why would anyone want to leave Mission Viejo! That's a very nice rich area, it's where they film housewives of OC. I have a friend who lives there and knows those people.

We were told we were going to have 15-45 minute blackouts here in San Antonio however nothing so far. I have a natural gas stove with all the burners on and was ready to move my animals into the kitchen in the event the power went out. Definitely going to invest in a generator of some sort even if this is a rare occurrence(never heard of rolling blackouts here to my knowledge) it would be nice to be prepared.

@donnak0125 Yeah I did not forget to leave the water dripping but a lot of my neighbors did and they had to come get water from my house all this morning.

We were told we were going to have 15-45 minute blackouts here in San Antonio however nothing so far. I have a natural gas stove with all the burners on and was ready to move my animals into the kitchen in the event the power went out. Definitely going to invest in a generator of some sort even if this is a rare occurrence(never heard of rolling blackouts here to my knowledge) it would be nice to be prepared.

@donnak0125 Yeah I did not forget to leave the water dripping but a lot of my neighbors did and they had to come get water from my house all this morning.

I work for Socalgas and I wouldn't recommend you heat your home with your range. You could suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning. Just saying.

I work for Socalgas and I wouldn't recommend you heat your home with your range. You could suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning. Just saying.

Isn't it the same as using a open-flame gas heater for the house? We just bought two new ones when our central heat went out. Since it's so cold in Texas I'm surprised it isn't also cold in Florida we are about at the same latitude (I think that's the term?). I keep hearing it's warm there. Just think'n out loud.

Last edited:
Isn't it the same as using a open-flame gas heater for the house? We just bought two new ones when our central heat went out. Since it's so cold in Texas I'm surprised it isn't also cold in Florida we are about at the same latitude (I think that's the term?). I keep hearing it's warm there. Just think'n out loud.

Heaters usually vent to the outside. Any time you burn natural gas you get it's byproduct, Carbon Monoxide gas (CO).

Range's usually have an unattached vent above them, you know the exhaust fan that pushes the air out and makes a loud noise. They're not designed to heat a home. If you're using your top burners and the oven as heat at the same time CO builds up, especially if your Range isn't working properly and isn't breaking natural gas up evenly.

I'm not sure on the specifics of open gas flame heaters, is it using natural gas or propane? Usually they can't be sold legally unless they meet certain standards.

Just some helpful info. Be safe everyone.

http://www.socalgas.com/safety/appliance.html

Since it's so cold in Texas I'm surprised it isn't also cold in Florida we are about at the same latitude (I think that's the term?). I keep hearing it's warm there. Just think'n out loud.

Florida is surrounded by warm, tropical ocean currents though. Us central Texans don't have that benefit. :(

Last edited:
Darn! I wish I took pictures of all the snow/ice we got. We've had 2 storms in 1 month here that dumped over a foot of snow along with other random little snow showers dropping anywhere from 1 - 8 inches... all in January!! Yesterday was pure ice but today warmed up, almost 40 degrees haha. And that's NJ!

Heaters usually vent to the outside. Any time you burn natural gas you get it's byproduct, Carbon Monoxide gas (CO).

Range's usually have an unattached vent above them, you know the exhaust fan that pushes the air out and makes a loud noise. They're not designed to heat a home. If you're using your top burners and the oven as heat at the same time CO builds up, especially if your Range isn't working properly and isn't breaking natural gas up evenly.

I'm not sure on the specifics of open gas flame heaters, is it using natural gas or propane? Usually they can't be sold legally unless they meet certain standards.

Just some helpful info. Be safe everyone.

http://www.socalgas.com/safety/appliance.html

Mine uses natural gas, and has no vent. My Mom got carb. monox. poison along with the rest of her family once when she was a child, but they were saved before anything deadly happened. She said they all had bad head aches! I don't know how it started but it was an old home so probably open-flame gas heaters... I have had them in another home I once lived in but not had a problem. We don't have an alternative now. Fingers crossed.

It was even cold here in Vegas... Low 20's tonight. I found this today!!! DOH!

167202_501999491715_501451715_6649565_6686980_n.jpg

I didn't find the snow storm to be as bad as people were saying it was going to be. We got like 20cm of snow, to bad my college wasn't canceled:(

Hey that's what my faucet outside looks like too! Monster icicle = bad news...

I didn't find the snow storm to be as bad as people were saying it was going to be. We got like 20cm of snow, to bad my college wasn't canceled:(

Haha, just flurries being present (not even sticking to the ground) is enough to cancel everything across town here. ;)

Mine uses natural gas, and has no vent. My Mom got carb. monox. poison along with the rest of her family once when she was a child, but they were saved before anything deadly happened. She said they all had bad head aches! I don't know how it started but it was an old home so probably open-flame gas heaters... I have had them in another home I once lived in but not had a problem. We don't have an alternative now. Fingers crossed.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do just providing safety because it's number 1 priority where I work. But here is the info I found on unvented heaters. It's on my previous link. It's a good read for safety. Stay warm people.

CAUTION: Unvented gas heaters are unsafe

Using an unvented gas heater in your home is dangerous and a violation of the California Health and Safety Code. These heaters are not approved for use in homes because:

* Poor operation can result in an accumulation of hazardous fumes.
* Unless a room heater has enough air from an outside vent or an open window, all of the oxygen in a room can be used up, resulting in serious illness or death.
* The flames in these heaters may not be fully covered, which could result in injuries or fires.

Never use your oven, range or outdoor barbecue to heat your home because these appliances are not designed for this purpose.

how about 20" of snow a few weeks ago, and the mayor refused to pay the sanitation people to plow the streets? heck, even buses were stranded in the middle of the roads...it was funny untill you realised you lost two days worth of work (pay). :mad:

Harry

Hey Melric,
I know you are being helpful and all. Defiantly not trying to start a pissing match here. The Laws in Texas, Nevada, and Arizona are different than here in Cali. They can have all kinds of different and open flame heaters we can not have. But the info you have provided is great and may well just save someone's life.

Back
Top Bottom