winter weather

We had the rolling blackouts here all day yesterday but have not lost power yet today. The cham room is staying pretty warm. Have not had any major issues yet. If it was like this all the time I could keep a quad ! :p . As much as I like that idea, I will settle for above freezing temps.

This time not a provoking post, but why end those storms, whether it's a blizzard or tropical one like Kathrina always in a chaos with douzens of dead people ? It cant really understand it. I mean we all have television, internet and a radio and social contacts. And weather forecasts. So why are people not prepared for this ? We are living in the 21th centuary and I wonder why some people are that naive.

This time not a provoking post, but why end those storms, whether it's a blizzard or tropical one like Kathrina always in a chaos with douzens of dead people ? It cant really understand it. I mean we all have television, internet and a radio and social contacts. And weather forecasts. So why are people not prepared for this ? We are living in the 21th centuary and I wonder why some people are that naive.

Hey Benny!!! Welcome to the human race!!! :p People up here can't seem to remember how to drive in the snow, and it's only 3-4 months tops with out it. Quite amazing, and amusing at the same time!! lol

We are -24 this morning!!! Off to work. Yay.....

I dread tonight here in Houston we're supposed to get snow and possibly ice. We get these kinds of storms every 2-3 yrs. So people here cant drive in icy conditions. Its even worse in places like Austin,Tx where there are hills. People start sliding down the hills and tag everything in their way. Looks like the interstate battery commercial they run on tv. I remember being iced in up in Austin for 4 days while in college, that sucked big time. Everyone be safe.

Here in NE south dakota, there is ice all over the roads, and schools are just opening up since last friday, the interstates are closed and its freezing here! :eek:

I dread tonight here in Houston we're supposed to get snow and possibly ice. We get these kinds of storms every 2-3 yrs. So people here cant drive in icy conditions. Its even worse in places like Austin,Tx where there are hills. People start sliding down the hills and tag everything in their way. Looks like the interstate battery commercial they run on tv. I remember being iced in up in Austin for 4 days while in college, that sucked big time. Everyone be safe.

yes, I lived in Austin the big hills are terrifying when icy!!!!! One got trapped for three or four days in the house because of a long amost 45 degree sloped driveway covered in ice. We had to walk along the grass, woods and yards to make it to the grocery store. When we had to go across a drive way we had to slide on or butts just to safely get on grass so we could walk again. I was passing a guy along the way and tried to warn him not to step on the ice at a driveway, but he didn't believe me and slipped backwards from a standing position and smacked the back of his head on the driveway. I was worried, he had a stunned look on his face. He was embarrassed, got up, turned around and when back down the street to his home. I was really afraid he had a head injury. It was horrible.:eek:

Last edited:
Yes of course but when you know that you all 2-3 years such a period for a few weeks isnt a set of winter tires a good investment ?
I understand that its illegal to have chaines cause they destroy the streets and which community has enough money for streets ;) ? Ours not :D

Could be, as far as individuals go, that people stay so busy struggling along in their daily lives that they forget to check or keep up with a emergency preparedness stash or list of to-dos. Where I am in TX we only get conditions like this once every 10 years or so. I'm just guessing as to reasons why people can get caught off-guard.
Some emergencies you just can't be totally prepared for. I feel sorry for the poorest people who are suffering in the cold alone. In our town I also know it's not uncommon that people will leave their dogs chained outside in any weather that comes along. It makes me sick to my stomach! I'll call the police or animal-control in a second when I see that!! I can't imagine that kind of heartlessness in the face of such suffering. :confused::eek:

yes, I lived in Austin the big hills are terrifying when icy!!!!! One got trapped for three or four days in the house because of a long amost 45 degree sloped driveway covered in ice. We had to walk along the grass, woods and yards to make it to the grocery store. When we had to go across a drive way we had to slide on or butts just to safely get on grass so we could walk again. I was passing a guy along the way and tried to warn him not to step on the ice at a driveway, but he didn't believe me and slipped backwards from a standing position and smacked the back of his head on the driveway. I was worried, he had a stunned look on his face. He was embarrassed, got up, turned around and when back down the street to his home. I was really afraid he had a head injury. I was horrible.:eek:

I would have laughed then felt bad afterward. lol.

I'm in ma. And we've been getting slammed with snow. But no worries tommorow my 32" Honda snow blower will be here. Now I'm praying for more snow !!

Yes of course but when you know that you all 2-3 years such a period for a few weeks isnt a set of winter tires a good investment ?

This kind of weather occurs for maybe 2 days (not weeks) out of the year, not even every year. I'm not buying new tires just for less than a month of my car's lifespan! This is an unusually difficult winter for us.

Ha! This is winter in Quebec! I took these in my backyard this morning.

First one is what I saw when I stepped out the house!

Attachments

• DSC_0322.jpg
    DSC_0322.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_0325.jpg
    DSC_0325.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0328.jpg
    DSC_0328.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 119
Well we went to the beach on Saturday because it was warm, then Sunday it started raining. Yesterday was snowboarding day in the mountains, and now were a cool 62 degrees. I love California.

Just like a Californian to rub-it-in :p.LOL. You could at least show a little empathy for the frozen-huddled-masses in the rest of the country!:cool:
At least I know it's nice somewhere!;)

Back
Top Bottom