Why...???

Ace

Avid Member
Well i really dont know how to vent my self clearly and calmy, but in my time on the forums, i've seen alot of unnecessary arguements, making people PO, and just seperating in different groups within the CF community. Now, what really depresses me is that people will constantly argue to prove a point, todo whatever is neccessary to show they are right. On the forums i gotta say it DOES get intimidating for people with a high vocabulary, discussing scientific discussions, and sometimes go about the wrong way of "correcting" people of any such thread dealing with "Chameleons".

It is true we are here to discuss and generally have different view points on a topic, but lately i havent seen any thread, that has not had a minor or major arguement between people. And to make things even more unnecessary is taking poeple's sides, and sparking more arguements with topics that are known to be a "problematic issue to dicuss" for example to keep panther chameleon locales/morphs "pure" and to avoid crossing." My thread is not for taking it out on certain people, i just wish people can be "open-minded" and know how to conduct themselves toward people. I mean, even myself i have made mistakes and probably still do, but i hope to correct it. i dont know if this makes sense to anyone, but this isnt to spark anything. Just my way to express myself on the forums.

Well, I have to say that was one of the most calm vents I've seen here. Point made. You have much more composure than I sometimes do. :)

Well i really dont know how to vent my self clearly and calmy, but in my time on the forums, i've seen alot of unnecessary arguements, making people PO, and just seperating in different groups within the CF community. Now, what really depresses me is that people will constantly argue to prove a point, todo whatever is neccessary to show they are right. On the forums i gotta say it DOES get intimidating for people with a high vocabulary, discussing scientific discussions, and sometimes go about the wrong way of "correcting" people of any such thread dealing with "Chameleons".

It is true we are here to discuss and generally have different view points on a topic, but lately i havent seen any thread, that has not had a minor or major arguement between people. And to make things even more unnecessary is taking poeple's sides, and sparking more arguements with topics that are known to be a "problematic issue to dicuss" for example to keep panther chameleon locales/morphs "pure" and to avoid crossing." My thread is not for taking it out on certain people, i just wish people can be "open-minded" and know how to conduct themselves toward people. I mean, even myself i have made mistakes and probably still do, but i hope to correct it. i dont know if this makes sense to anyone, but this isnt to spark anything. Just my way to express myself on the forums.

AMEN on that one Ace... well said! This is a great forum, great people & so informational. People on here are very helpful & have a love for chameleons. That is what this is all about after all. I'm grateful for all the help & information I have received on here & for that a thank you to ALL!!!

Ace, YOU COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG!!! :mad:

Just kidding there, bud. :D

People don't have to agree all of the time and a good discussion with opposing points of view can be interesting and informative. Sometimes folks just get a bit over-zealous protecting their own viewpoints or in disagreeing with others. It's true though, things can get ugly very quickly.

Well said indeed! It's a constant struggle to not misinterpret the tone of text, but some people just seem out on a mission to prove they know rather than attempt to learn. It's seriously the worst part of being involved with forums, regardless of the topic. While it tends to degrade from time to time, for the most part I've been extremely impressed with how professional and kind people are on this forum! With so many actual experts, so many supposed experts and just the sheer number of people on here at all, I'm surprised it is so civilized most of the time. But I agree completely that it's incredibly frustrating when that's not the case! Why can't we all just play nice? :)

Ace, YOU COULD NOT BE MORE WRONG!!! :mad:

Just kidding there, bud. :D

People don't have to agree all of the time and a good discussion with opposing points of view can be interesting and informative

this i agree and i didnt imply that we need to think the same or have the same view points...c'mon, thats impractical, we need different view points to thus spur out new ideas:D

. Sometimes folks just get a bit over-zealous protecting their own viewpoints or in disagreeing with others. It's true though, things can get ugly very quickly.[/

this is what i am trying to get at, as of late or maybe its been going on periodically "on and off" of discussions that go to far which lead to arguements, and so on. it really just ruins the mood of what the forums usually is (a friendly, knowledgable, and welcoming envirorement):DQUOTE]

Ace i like what you've wrote here. Honestly i love this forum site, but there has come a time where the forum started PMSing. no offence ladies, guys are just as bad too! :)

I do agree that some often use scientific terming quite often here, perhaps to just reflect their knowledge about it, in braggin means or not. but i also have to say that the scientific terminology IMHO just helps and encourages those to learn and become influenced on something they've never been introduced to. I could tell you one thing, 4 years i didnt give a damn what photosynthesis was, no i am a proud owner of three species of the family chamaeleonaide! one female Chamaeleo Calyptratus, one male Kinyongia Multituberculta and a Rieppeleon Brevicadatus! and for fun even house some Rachodactylus Ciliatus' and Agalychnis Callidryas :p lol

all in all, we really do need to start finding common grounds with eachother on here and do what ChameleonForums were designed to do, bring knowledge together and grow it.

Ace i like what you've wrote here. Honestly i love this forum site, but there has come a time where the forum started PMSing. no offence ladies, guys are just as bad too! :)

I do agree that some often use scientific terming quite often here, perhaps to just reflect their knowledge about it, in braggin means or not. but i also have to say that the scientific terminology IMHO just helps and encourages those to learn and become influenced on something they've never been introduced to. I could tell you one thing, 4 years i didnt give a damn what photosynthesis was, no i am a proud owner of three species of the family chamaeleonaide! one female Chamaeleo Calyptratus, one male Kinyongia Multituberculta and a Rieppeleon Brevicadatus! and for fun even house some Rachodactylus Ciliatus' and Agalychnis Callidryas :p lol

all in all, we really do need to start finding common grounds with eachother on here and do what ChameleonForums were designed to do, bring knowledge together and grow it.

you could of said

veiled, Usambra two-horned, and bearded pygmy :rolleyes:..lol

and i am all for knowledge and scientific language, but some use it in arguements against those who might not be up to the level of understanding such sciencitfic vocabulary. making them feel a little "belittled" so to speak.

but hey this forums has always been a great help and fun place to be:)

for scientific terms like anatomy and what not, i think some members just like to show off *cough Chris Anderson cough* :rolleyes: lol hes too wise and informational i cant comprehend him sometimes lol. i think only the scientific is most benificial when dealing with the species name, because it allows everyone (even the beginner) to know exactly what species they are dealing with. so that they can memorize the simple scientific name for their chameleon, and use it to their greatest advantage in situations of help. and it helps promote the interest to learn more scientific names to show off infront of theirown friends :)

Hey Ace, I see your point...but I love to read the arguments ensuing at the forums!...I love reading all the opinions and experiences of the members and giving my 'tard 2 cents... :)

Hey Ace, I see your point...but I love to read the arguments ensuing at the forums!...I love reading all the opinions and experiences of the members and giving my 'tard 2 cents... :)

lmfao-- you just like seeing drama on the forums "eating popcorn" ad enjoying the show" lol...but i dont mean disagreements, i mean arguements:p

I dont really start a lot of stuff, but i do love to argue. Its what I do, no had feelings and i never hold it agianst anyone. I think arguing will release stress and make you a better person. It is all about arguing and forgeting, if i can piss you off one day and be your friend the next then i have accomplished my goal, it will also make you better friends.:D

I dont really start a lot of stuff, but i do love to argue. Its what I do, no had feelings and i never hold it agianst anyone. I think arguing will release stress and make you a better person. It is all about arguing and forgeting, if i can piss you off one day and be your friend the next then i have accomplished my goal, it will also make you better friends.:D

well i have been there and faced people at first didnt like and then became buds, so your goal is to PO people, you must really get a kick out of it. But what if people try todo the same to you? lol

....making people lose their composure doesnt always work for everyone, some get humilated, have as grudge, others like you mention forget ,while some try to ignore the people they have problems with. Maybe you like to "disagree with poeple and discuss" , but the arguements i am trying to point out are the ones that leave a awkard vibe for everyone else.

the bad ones, not the humorous ones:D...though sometimes they can be both...not to mention sarcasm is added to make things more difficult to undrstand one another, and of course how we read each others posts, whether we want to or not, we read peoples post with a sort of tone.

lmfao-- you just like seeing drama on the forums "eating popcorn" ad enjoying the show" lol...but i dont mean disagreements, i mean arguements:p

........ munchpopcorn.gif .......... ;)

well i have been there and faced people at first didnt like and then became buds, so your goal is to PO people, you must really get a kick out of it. But what if people try todo the same to you? lol

....making people lose their composure doesnt always work for everyone, some get humilated, have as grudge, others like you mention forget ,while some try to ignore the people they have problems with. Maybe you like to "disagree with poeple and discuss" , but the arguements i am trying to point out are the ones that leave a awkard vibe for everyone else.

the bad ones, not the humorous ones:D...though sometimes they can be both...not to mention sarcasm is added to make things more difficult to undrstand one another, and of course how we read each others posts, whether we want to or not, we read peoples post with a sort of tone.

True, i do go around trying to PO people but if i see a good argument, i would nt mind being the first to jump in,:D. Its nothing personal, i have no problem with anyone here. I think you have let someone get under your skin, dont be weakminded, this is the internet, the only place in the world you will have so many different people in one place at the same time. I dont know what or who said, but i would pm them if i were you. Other than that you could stay our of the lizard lounge where most of the arguing takes place. I can say that this forum has really changed over the past year.:eek:

True, i do go around trying to PO people but if i see a good argument, i would nt mind being the first to jump in,:D. Its nothing personal, i have no problem with anyone here. I think you have let someone get under your skin, dont be weakminded, this is the internet, the only place in the world you will have so many different people in one place at the same time. I dont know what or who said, but i would pm them if i were you. Other than that you could stay our of the lizard lounge where most of the arguing takes place. I can say that this forum has really changed over the past year.:eek:

did it change becasue of you:p:D...jk...i see where you are getting at, but not everyone has your way of thinking, which is why more serious arguements take place.

I do agree that some often use scientific terming quite often here, perhaps to just reflect their knowledge about it, in braggin means or not.

and i am all for knowledge and scientific language, but some use it in arguements against those who might not be up to the level of understanding such sciencitfic vocabulary. making them feel a little "belittled" so to speak.

for scientific terms like anatomy and what not, i think some members just like to show off *cough Chris Anderson cough* :rolleyes: lol hes too wise and informational i cant comprehend him sometimes lol.

Well, despite your suggestions that some members, and specifically me, use scientific terms as a means to show off or belittle other members, that is not the case. The benefit of using scientific terms is that their meaning is typically very precise. If you take the time to look up any terms you don't know, you'd find that using these terms actually helps maintain clarity by eliminating any confusion about what was being referenced. While the vocabulary or wording might seem complex and for some may take additional time to read in order to fully understand, I generally try to pick my words carefully to make sure that what I say is as thorough and precise as possible. In my opinion, not being specific about what you are talking about or not being careful about what you say causes a lot more problems than using the terms and vocabulary that is intended exactly for maintaining clarity.

no i am a proud owner of three species of the family chamaeleonaide! one female Chamaeleo Calyptratus, one male Kinyongia Multituberculta and a Rieppeleon Brevicadatus!

you could of said

veiled, Usambra two-horned, and bearded pygmy :rolleyes:..lol

Ace, the very reason using the scientific names is so important was already highlighted in this thread but I thought I'd draw attention to it:

the scientific is most benificial when dealing with the species name, because it allows everyone (even the beginner) to know exactly what species they are dealing with.

Unfortunately there is no right or wrong common name for any species and because there is no official standard, common names can lead to a lot of confusion. Scientific names may not seem intuitive at first and some might be difficult to remember to start off, but they are extremely useful when trying to be clear about what species it is that you are talking about.

Chris

Well, despite your suggestions that some members, and specifically me, use scientific terms as a means to show off or belittle other members, that is not the case. The benefit of using scientific terms is that their meaning is typically very precise. If you take the time to look up any terms you don't know, you'd find that using these terms actually helps maintain clarity by eliminating any confusion about what was being referenced. While the vocabulary or wording might seem complex and for some may take additional time to read in order to fully understand, I generally try to pick my words carefully to make sure that what I say is as thorough and precise as possible. In my opinion, not being specific about what you are talking about or not being careful about what you say causes a lot more problems than using the terms and vocabulary that is intended exactly for maintaining clarity.

Ace, the very reason using the scientific names is so important was already highlighted in this thread but I thought I'd draw attention to it:

Unfortunately there is no right or wrong common name for any species and because there is no official standard, common names can lead to a lot of confusion. Scientific names may not seem intuitive at first and some might be difficult to remember to start off, but they are extremely useful when trying to be clear about what species it is that you are talking about.

Chris

hey Chris, i appologize if i offended you by that post. it was in no way a stab to you. i really do respect all that you do, teach and study. it is a very hard field to be in. i agree with you completely. it is the BEST way to be presice, and day by day i myself make the effort to try and become more familiar with it. :)

hey Chris, i appologize if i offended you by that post. it was in no way a stab to you. i really do respect all that you do, teach and study. it is a very hard field to be in. i agree with you completely. it is the BEST way to be presice, and day by day i myself make the effort to try and become more familiar with it. :)

ditto:p....

In no way was i pointing out using scientific names is a "bad thing" or "too complicated", because it is not. And as for myself i try to learn the scientifc names of animals i am intersted in. And for the most part using the termonlogy is very beneficial and does tremedously help in clarifying discussions. However i just wanted to point out, in my experience here on the forums of unneeded arguements with people wh g ut f there way to prove themselves right "As any means necessary" so t speak.

And to be honest i never specifically said that scientifc names was part of the problem. i only referred to "high vocabulary" in general speaking. Chameleonsinmyhouse was the one that mentioned about scientific names to begin, with. Although i did agree to him, which was my mistake

I said : "you could of said

veiled, Usambra two-horned, and bearded pygmy ..lol

"but hey this forums has always been a great help and fun place to be"

the first part was just a joke and was for fun. however the second part i should not have stated it, rather i meant people use "high vocabulary" in general within arguements to prove a point.

Back
Top Bottom