Why is my chameleon so dark in color

Floofy

Hello several day's ago I purchased my first veiled chameleon. For the first couple of day's in her new inclosure she was a little on the darker side but I assumed that was due to stress because of her move to her new home. Now she has changed to a very dark brown and I do not think this is normal. The only time she is normal in color is when she's sleeping.

Here also her enclosure is 4 feet hight it's hard to tell in the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_164354.jpg
    IMG_20200910_164354.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20200910_164403.jpg
    IMG_20200910_164403.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20200910_164405.jpg
    IMG_20200910_164405.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 112
Here also her enclosure is 4 feet hight it's hard to tell in the pics.
It is a bit bare on the top. Your going to want to raise that plant up. If you have another pot you can flip it over and sit the plant on it to get a bit more height. I would add more branches as well.

What is your distance from the screen top panel to the branch below? Did you buy the 6% or 12% UVB?

so dark can mean they are trying to absorb heat... What are your temps at the branch below the heat lamp.
Also resting colors are normally dull for a Veiled. When you see bright colors that is typical of stress or anger (unless they are sleeping).

I have more plants that I'm going to add I"m just waiting for a hanger that I ordered to hold them up to arrive. I have a 6% bulb and a 12% bulb because they came in a pack I'm currently using the 12% because I read that that was recomended so that the uvb reached the bottom of her enclosure. it is ussualy between 80-85 on the top branch because my gecko's enclosure is right next to it so it's a little hot with both heat lamps. Also I understand her colors should not be bright but she as a very dark brown.

I have more plants that I'm going to add I"m just waiting for a hanger that I ordered to hold them up to arrive. I have a 6% bulb and a 12% bulb because they came in a pack I'm currently using the 12% because I read that that was recomended so that the uvb reached the bottom of her enclosure. it is ussualy between 80-85 on the top branch because my gecko's enclosure is right next to it so it's a little hot with both heat lamps. Also I understand her colors should not be bright but she as a very dark brown.
should I keep the 12% or use a 6%?

So if you use the 12% you need a full 12 inches between the top basking branch and that fixture. THis is extremely important. Personally I use 6% and have a 9 inch drop to the branch below. This still provides the correct UVI level without losing so much of the top part of the enclosure. You will find that even with a 12% the UVB still does not reach the bottom. Which is fine. The intention is that it reaches the areas in the top third of the enclosure.

Here is the pic she is still dark in color when she is towards the bottom of the enclosure.

Attachments

• IMG_20200910_170934.jpg
    IMG_20200910_170934.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 109
am I being paranoid or does she look dark to you?
It is a normal color. She is lower in the cage so she is not getting as much warmth down there. I think you will find as you fill out the cage more and have more branches and plants and she adjusts to the new home she will start showing more greens.

But personally if it were me I would make sure your distances are right with the UVB. I would pull the 12% and use the 6% and then ensure that the distance to the branch below it is 9 inches.

Thank you I will definitely change to a 6% I just wanted to make sure she was ok
Right now everything is new for her. Since your still making cage changes she is not able to fully adjust. This is normal when you need to add or tweak things. Typically it takes them a few days to 2 weeks to fully adjust to their environment. Just make sure she is eating well.

Right now everything is new for her. Since your still making cage changes she is not able to fully adjust. This is normal when you need to add or tweak things. Typically it takes them a few days to 2 weeks to fully adjust to their environment. Just make sure she is eating well.
My girl is dark and she is very healthy
Urs is prolly fine just maybe a little stressed cause she is newer

My girl is dark and she is very healthy
Urs is prolly fine just maybe a little stressed cause she is newer
Mine is dark as well had him for about 5 days and i believe about 3-4 months old, ive made quite a lot of changes took all the fake pants out add 2 more plants then moved him to my house today cause my boyfriends house is too cold and too many animals when he was in my car he was a perfect green color just like when we got him but then got dark again when i braught him inside.. i havent seen him bask today and has been on the plant by the bottom mostly but has been very active roaming around and was a hungry boy today gave him about 7 crickets. Its stressing me out that hes so dark still i just hope im not doing anything wrong @Beman helped me a few days ago but i did what he suggested and no change:( maybe just because hes in a new place and hasnt been a week yet? Ill upload a picture of him home now if that helps
123154B2-0C21-454C-803A-91A8A974E576.jpeg
320CC92B-5FA6-4183-8775-B89725B778D3.jpeg
9065236F-C881-4283-9B20-25A1143B8849.jpeg
403DFB9B-C6F5-403F-99C9-8B31594E5B15.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom