Why Cant My Cham FIRE UP?

Well, that's a little stressful for him
Is there a reason you are trying to get him fired up?
Or just self amusement or want to see what he looks like

I agree, showing him a mirror will do nothing but stress him out. Nothing good can come of that.
When he wants to show his colors, he will. :)

I would just give him time, and let him show off when he wants to. He will show off, I promise he will. :)

Mirrors are bad, when he sees himself he is immediately threatened, and therefore stressed. That was a bad piece of advice from the store, imho. :confused:

I tried getting blaze to fire up ad he doesnt ive even tried showing some of my ladies and he doesnt he might be like my blaze and just be chill24/7!!!

I walked past a mirror with George on my shoulder the other day and he just tried to grab himself in the mirror. Friendly nutter.

Probably hasn't become territorial enough yet. Might be a good thing, depends how you look at it.

Gannon my male won't fire up to a mirror. He's 8 months, he does however trip out when he sees the ladies.

I'd just give him time. He's probably more intimidated than wanting to fight.

Take him outside, my guys always show their best and brightest colors when they're chilling outside in the sunshine. He might be dark at first to absorb heat but mine always get really bright and beautiful in the sun. And sunlight just makes colors look much better, regardless of what they are.

Plus, sunshine is riddiculously beneficial to chameleons.

A few of mine seem to know that the mirror is just a mirror. They will look at me through them sometimes, then walk towards me while still keeping an eye on the mirror.

My favorite panther only fires up when I show him my guinea pigs. He doesn't like them.

Mine gets fired up when he sleeps to .... But today he is shedding which is cool because his true colors starts to show <3

A few of mine seem to know that the mirror is just a mirror. They will look at me through them sometimes, then walk towards me while still keeping an eye on the mirror.

My favorite panther only fires up when I show him my guinea pigs. He doesn't like them.

My favorite panther only fires up when I show him my guinea pigs. He doesn't like them.[/QUOTE] --I pictured this in my mind and just cracked up.

Try him outside, weather permitting. Mine will fire up a lot more with all the various critters out there. Right now my veiled is outside 24/7. One sure way to get my veiled to fire up though is trying to handle him (I rarely do but sometimes it's unavoidable). He will puff up and his colors become even more vibrant. Wish I had a decent camera to capture it.

Is that the one who was sired by Patron? I do believe we have bro chams, but I also believe we went over that already :p My guy is so damn chill he won't fire up for anything. Maybe I should get a guinea pig, perhaps hated for them runs in the family.

0oddly enough, i have really no issues with holding my cham, he doesn't mind my hands...with occasional pissy fits, but i once tried to have him walk onto a stick and the sight of the stick terrified him, maybe it was a primal instinct thinking it was a scary snake slithering to get him, but he fired up real good, so you could maybe try a stick..lol

You should be happy your cham doesn't fire up. It just means he's a relaxed and calm chameleon. Many people who dive into the chameleon world expect a chameleon to be like that but end up getting a mean, overly aggressive chameleon which in turn aren't really fun to have. As a breeder I don't really mind an aggressive chameleon but its always easier to have a chameleon that is calm and relaxed. You can enjoy them more by being able to handle them and move them to and from home cage to free range area if you have one. Putting a mirror in front of him does stress him but isn't totally a bad thing. It lets them tap into their macho side but this should be done very rarely and for a short period. In the wild chameleons may cross paths every now and then. For the most part they see each other from a far and avoid each other. If you cham gets scared and hides then don't do it at all. He's just not the fighting type. He's probably a lover not a fighter. LOL.:D

stop smoking him out

I tried getting blaze to fire up ad he doesnt ive even tried showing some of my ladies and he doesnt he might be like my blaze and just be chill24/7!!!

well if he was not high all the time :D stop smoking him out. I know he is a stonner his name is blaze.

Is that the one who was sired by Patron? I do believe we have bro chams, but I also believe we went over that already :p My guy is so damn chill he won't fire up for anything. Maybe I should get a guinea pig, perhaps hated for them runs in the family.

Yes he is! Take him to a pet store and see what happens! :)

I'll have to get a video of him with the guinea pigs one day. It is hilarious to watch. The first time he did it, he was in the living room and climbed up my guinea pig cage (which is about 4 feet tall and made of wire.) He was not happy when he noticed the big fur balls running around. He especially hates my long haired (Peruvian) piggies! The pigs don't like him either :)

My guy is SUPER mellow to! He won't fire up for the life of me but I have learned to just be patient with it. He has seen his g/f and nothing, not even a head bob. He has seen his reflection and won't get bright when I take him outside. Atleast not to what I know his capabilities are! He does great a little orange under his neck and arms outside but not like he does when he sleeps. I think thats gonna make it just that much better when he finally does.

Back
Top Bottom